Meat hauling day packs

I have Kifaru frames and love them. I use a custom bag or 22 mag for day hunting on the frames. Works great and they pack meat in the "shelf" perfectly. For me, they are the pinnacle of comfort. I also use and like the Kuiu icon pro with an 1850 bag. While not as comfortable under heavy weight, it isn't uncomfortable either. And, would serve you fine if you went that way. Especially for a day pack with meat hauling capabilities

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
IMO I'd look for a used MR pack or save up a bit more, I love my MR. But if not maybe a horn hunter or something similar would work?​

FatBuddah

WKR
New Kifaru frame, Nomad II, & the net.

Attachments

• 9DAC7D7C-B14E-40A9-86A7-4894A3F447A9.jpeg
    9DAC7D7C-B14E-40A9-86A7-4894A3F447A9.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 170

Jbehredt

WKR
thanks, I mean't how do you like it?

Ahhh. Love the bag. Only thing that drew me away was doing more backpack hunts with heavier daypack weights. That me to look for a more comfortable pack belt. The kifaru belt is much better above 40lbs for me. If you don’t have pointy hips or a freakish torso the exo is spot on on for a meat hauling daypack.
c9a3be8b3ad871d1be8aba0267a7541a.jpg

2000 with a hind quarter between frame and bag
4eaaf3cdaf2dce4f4949f21f5c08a65c.jpg

Frame and crib with the other hind and a front

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I used a pop up 28 this year to pack out two elk. I also did most of my training hikes with it. It did really well other than I broke a buckle on one of the elk. I wish they had used heavier duty buckles for the straps for securing loads. They did replace it with no problems. Other than that I loved the pack and how it carried weight. I used kifarus gun bearer for carrying my rifle

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pop up 28, pintler and a crewcab. I also had and sold a woodsman. I ran the woodsman on both a 26 and 22 inch frame.

There are compromises either direction you go. Overall, I prefer less frame. The 26 was overkill for a daypack sized bag. Guidelight works but it is heavy and has some bulk. I didn’t like having lifters sticking up when I didn’t need them.

The pop up is the bees knees for me. Light, super compact. It doesn’t haul a load as well as the pintler but it excels in day pack mode. I have used mine on a 50# bag of corn and a #65 load of deer meat. It carried both fine.

If I were deciding between something like the pop up, which is a day pack with a hybrid fram or a pintler, which is a full size frame with a small bag, I would think about how often I would haul. For me, hauling a load 2-3x a year, I like the pop up because it excels as a daypack, which it is +90% of the time.

Only gripe I have on the pop up is that it is a tad small especially later in season when I start hauling warm clothing into the woods. If MR came out with a 40 liter pop up bag, I would be a buyer.

The Pop Up Frame Concept is a winner from my perspective.

The ONLY reason I haven’t purchased a Pop Up 28 yet is because I’m desperately hoping they will bring out a 45-50L version, maybe with a roll down snow collar and extending lid, or perhaps a zip “baffle” type section that you can just undo the zips to extend the usable size of the pack bag. that would be my ultimate Hunting/day pack.

I’d imagine that I’d just sell off everything else and just own one pack!!

Cf8889

FNG

The ONLY reason I haven’t purchased a Pop Up 28 yet is because I’m desperately hoping they will bring out a 45-50L version, maybe with a roll down snow collar and extending lid, or perhaps a zip “baffle” type section that you can just undo the zips to extend the usable size of the pack bag. that would be my ultimate Hunting/day pack.

I love one in the 40L range! I know the frames aren't meant to carry more then 90lbs or so... but hey, neither am I hahaha. I know my limits, and 90lbs down a mountain is it.

In a perfect world, I buy the 28L soon... and they release a 40-50L that I can buy as just a bag. Between the both of those, I'd be one happy hunter.

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider

I emailed MR Saturday, and they got back to me today, and said they will have a 35-40 L Pop Up coming out in 2020. Im on the fence about buying the 28. Looks like a perfect pack for my style of hunting!

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Exo 2000 bag but seldom use it. I almost always just leave on the 3500 bag even day hunting. I'm a rifle hunter and usually taking more clothing layers for later seasons. I'm a big fan of a warm puffy jacket and pants in the pack on later season hunts for long glassing sessions. or waiting out an animal. I also pack a tripod and some combination of 10x binos, 15x binos, and 55mm spotter. I usually have at least 2 of those 3 along. The extra room of the 3500 and the layout just seems really handy. Also I can put my rifle down in one of the long optics pockets along the side with the barrel sticking out the top for long walks in or out in the dark.

The 2000 bag is plenty if you are not packing the clothing or optics I do most of the time. Really it depends on your hunting style.

I have a Kifaru Nomad 2 with the Grab-it 2 and guide lid also on the 26" tactical frame. It lacks the lateral flex I like in the Exo and I seldom use it as a daypack. I got it for my AK moose hunt and it was great there, handled the bulky quarters excellent. I plan to keep it in the truck with water bottles and minimal gear in the batwing pockets. I'll bring the first load out in the Exo and switch to the Kifaru for the rest. The Exo packs weight well too, I trained for AK with the Exo frame and an 80lb bag of sack crete in the Crib panel. I do like the Kifaru hip belt better when loaded heavy, but both work fine.

Having both it will just be handier for me to go back in with the Kifaru and not have to add water bottle pockets to carry water on the Exo with the Crib panel and no bag when using it as a meat hauler after the first trip.

If I could only own one it would be the Exo. It just has an awesome bag layout and I love the lateral flex when hiking with it. I sure like having both for different uses though.

I have the Exo 2000 bag but seldom use it. I almost always just leave on the 3500 bag even day hunting. I'm a rifle hunter and usually taking more clothing layers for later seasons. I'm a big fan of a warm puffy jacket and pants in the pack on later season hunts for long glassing sessions. or waiting out an animal. I also pack a tripod and some combination of 10x binos, 15x binos, and 55mm spotter. I usually have at least 2 of those 3 along. The extra room of the 3500 and the layout just seems really handy. Also I can put my rifle down in one of the long optics pockets along the side with the barrel sticking out the top for long walks in or out in the dark.

The 2000 bag is plenty if you are not packing the clothing or optics I do most of the time. Really it depends on your hunting style.

I have a Kifaru Nomad 2 with the Grab-it 2 and guide lid also on the 26" tactical frame. It lacks the lateral flex I like in the Exo and I seldom use it as a daypack. I got it for my AK moose hunt and it was great there, handled the bulky quarters excellent. I plan to keep it in the truck with water bottles and minimal gear in the batwing pockets. I'll bring the first load out in the Exo and switch to the Kifaru for the rest. The Exo packs weight well too, I trained for AK with the Exo frame and an 80lb bag of sack crete in the Crib panel. I do like the Kifaru hip belt better when loaded heavy, but both work fine.

Having both it will just be handier for me to go back in with the Kifaru and not have to add water bottle pockets to carry water on the Exo with the Crib panel and no bag when using it as a meat hauler after the first trip.

If I could only own one it would be the Exo. It just has an awesome bag layout and I love the lateral flex when hiking with it. I sure like having both for different uses though.

MCSeal your not making my next pack purchase easy! Kifaru frame and woodsman pack is what I had planned on!

elkduds

WKR
How's the badlands 2200?
Mine is durable (over 10 years old), the right size for day hunt or overnight, and has been repaired for free under the never-ending warranty. That happened when an upper stay pocket failed after many heavy loads. It now gets used for training hikes w weights up to 30#, then as hunting pack. After the 1st load of meat comes out, I switch to a pack frame. It is well suited to my style of Colorado elk hunting. Plenty comfortable w day hunt loads. And it cost well less than $100 on Ebay. After shopping for a few years based on forum Badlands haters' critiques, I haven't found anything I like better.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider

Ive owned most brands of packs other than Stone Glacier and Kuiu. I currently own MR crew cab, Exo 3500, a Kifaru Hunting Frame and the Seek Outside Peregrine.

From what you said, you are very similar to me, the Exo is awesome with light loads but can have belt slip under heavier loads, and the Kifaru belt is superior for heavier loads but it’s like walking with an ironing board strapped to your back with light loads.

I’d recommend Maybe try the Seek Outside Revolution, in my opinion it has the lateral movement of the Exo but the belt system seems to hold as well as the Kifaru belt, but because there are two buckles you don’t have to yank it on so tight and you don’t feel like the Michelin man. I was a bit scep of the two buckles because I thought it would be a hassle but the comfort is extraordinary.

Im still keen on checking out a MR Pop up for day hunts due to the fold down frame (might wait for a larger capacity pop up though), having said that, I can HEARTILY recommend the Seek Outside Revolution Frame and suspension, in my experience it takes the best qualities of the Exo (lateral flexing) and Kifaru frame system (sturdy under loads), if you can find someone nearby that owns one you might be very surprised.

I have used a Kifaru Tahr and hauled a Bull Elk out with it, how ever it wasn't "tolerable". Not that it was pleasurable by any means, but it is designed to haul heavy loads. It is also a great day pack at that 3000 CI range. Pluse with add on pockets , pouches and lids, I expanded it to over 70000ci for multi day hunts. I also now have a EXO 2000. I believe it to be comparable to the Tahr in hauling abilities. Both would be great choices, but the Tahr isn't in production any more, so a used one would be a 2 fold blessing- great pack, better price.

Attachments

• tahr loaded .jpg
    tahr loaded .jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 93

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat the EXO 2000 for day pack/meat hauling. When Steve and Lenny came out with the first EXO it was a 3500 size. They introduced the 2000 a few years later to do just what you are looking for-a day pack that doubles as a meat hauler. They went a step further with the roll-top and made in convertible to 3000+ size for overnights or 2-3 nights if you are a good planner. The side pockets on the 2018 2000 pack are perfect for 2 1 liter nalgenes and it is set up for a bladder system inside the pack (separate large waterproof pocket against the back of the pack). The organization is excellent with the U-zipper that allows you to open the front of the pack and get to anything inside without having to dig or allow anything to fall out of the pack. I have had one for a couple of years and just picked up another one because my son has fallen in love with mine. It will hold anything you need for day-hunting and hold it well. When hunting you will forget that it is on your back as it moves that well with you. Also keeps you from packing too much 'stuff' for day hunts-mine is typically at 17-20 lbs and that includes 2 liters of water. They offer great customer support and service-Steve or Mark will take the time to chat with you about your needs and questions. There is also a holster manufacturer who is now making holsters for pack carry on belts like the EXO - Ivory Holsters in Brighton, CO. They are pricey but are made to ride snugly on that style and size belt and protect your sidearm while making it very accessible. These packs are not cheap but come with a lifetime warranty and they should last a lifetime. Check out the testimonials on their website-lots of photos and narrative about how well those frames haul meat.