Meat hauling day packs

Billinsd

WKR
What options are there in 2,000 to 3,000 range that are "tolerable" at hauling meat. I'm looking at upgrading my badlands 2,200, which is real poor at meat hauling. Thanks

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing the same thing this year. Tired of the badlands 2200 for packing quarters. I was really leaning toward an Exo 3500 so I could do some backpack hunts and I really like their features, but I found a MR Pintler brand new at a price I couldn't pass up so I pulled the trigger on that. It should be here Wednesday and I can't wait! Figured I can upsize when my kids are a bit older and I will actually have time to do the backpack hunts I want to do. The Pintler is right in that size range you want and has awesome reviews. I would really encourage you to check out the the Exo line as well. I tried one on at their shop and it felt amazing and they have rave reviews also. They have a 2000 cubic inch model.

Zoomfish

Lil-Rokslider
MR Cabinet (crewcab) is a transformer!!!

Compresses down to almost just the frame, perfect size day pack for hiking and hauling out deer or can load out meat shelf with load cells, dry bag, whatever you like for expedition style hunt. Can buy ILBE lid, buckle kit el cheapo on eBay and and turn Cabinet into whatever you like. Was my screw around project over holidays to ‘streamline’ my number of packs...or so she thinks! Good luck!

This year I ran a Kifaru Nomad2 with OGL and Grabit for 50+ days in the field as a day pack and also used it for a 7 day backcountry hunt. Handled all very well. I've seen quite a few gen1 Nomads in the classifieds recently - might be an option. Prior to this purchase I ran a Eberle Mainframe with Batwings. Handled the weight easy enough (at 1/3 the cost), but not nearly as comfortable or stable with weight and had fewer options for customizing for my specific needs. Have not ran other "top 5" brands, was blessed to find what worked for me the first time and stuck with it.

prm

WKR
The Mystery Ranch Mule sure does both well.

Get a 55-60L dry bag from OR and you can haul in/out camp too. Very versatile pack.

Jimss

WKR
My preference if I'm hunting an area where sooner or later I know I'm going to harvest a critter a long ways from the truck is to use a Kifaru frame and larger 6000 cu in + and cinch it down tight to the frame if I'm not carrying a lot of gear. That way I can pack out an entire deer or a full load the first trip out. Kifaru offers a variety of large volume packs with lots of pocket, pouch, lid, and accessory options.

Most 2200 to 3000 cu in packs aren't designed for loads over 50 lbs max. If it were me and I was dead set on a 2200 pack I'd buy a Kifaru frame (capable of 100+ lb loads and buy 2 bags.

I've used and abused a Badlands 2200 for years for scouting and hunting close to the truck...but that's the only time I use it.

Trial153

WKR
I have a pop 18 and Pintler. You cant go wrong with either of them. the pop will excel in day pack mode and the pintler will haul a bit better. I also had a Kuiu icon pro 1850, worked great as day pack, the frame gave me all kinds of problems and the harness broke. I wouldnt recommend it. The recommendation for SO peregrine is spot on as well. Great frame and bag for day hunts and meat hauling.

I have a pop up 28, pintler and a crewcab. I also had and sold a woodsman. I ran the woodsman on both a 26 and 22 inch frame.

There are compromises either direction you go. Overall, I prefer less frame. The 26 was overkill for a daypack sized bag. Guidelight works but it is heavy and has some bulk. I didn’t like having lifters sticking up when I didn’t need them.

The pop up is the bees knees for me. Light, super compact. It doesn’t haul a load as well as the pintler but it excels in day pack mode. I have used mine on a 50# bag of corn and a #65 load of deer meat. It carried both fine.

If I were deciding between something like the pop up, which is a day pack with a hybrid fram or a pintler, which is a full size frame with a small bag, I would think about how often I would haul. For me, hauling a load 2-3x a year, I like the pop up because it excels as a daypack, which it is +90% of the time.

Only gripe I have on the pop up is that it is a tad small especially later in season when I start hauling warm clothing into the woods. If MR came out with a 40 liter pop up bag, I would be a buyer.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I have a pop up 28, pintler and a crewcab. I also had and sold a woodsman. I ran the woodsman on both a 26 and 22 inch frame.

There are compromises either direction you go. Overall, I prefer less frame. The 26 was overkill for a daypack sized bag. Guidelight works but it is heavy and has some bulk. I didn’t like having lifters sticking up when I didn’t need them.

The pop up is the bees knees for me. Light, super compact. It doesn’t haul a load as well as the pintler but it excels in day pack mode. I have used mine on a 50# bag of corn and a #65 load of deer meat. It carried both fine.

If I were deciding between something like the pop up, which is a day pack with a hybrid fram or a pintler, which is a full size frame with a small bag, I would think about how often I would haul. For me, hauling a load 2-3x a year, I like the pop up because it excels as a daypack, which it is +90% of the time.

Only gripe I have on the pop up is that it is a tad small especially later in season when I start hauling warm clothing into the woods. If MR came out with a 40 liter pop up bag, I would be a buyer.
Fantastic!!

f8bc358bb64b8140cb71b363a3986f1d.jpg

fb97d9aa19b1e1ac6fb829c8af15fd15.jpg

a3562589c3515bc43e46f73f8468530c.jpg

c060309480df96f2689fc57e686a68d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk