• Eberlestock Blue Widow

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Kifaru Duplex w/Cargo Pannel

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Badlands 2800

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
Hi Fellas,

Which pack do you prefer for a day pack that is capable of bringing out elk quarters and why? Please state your torso length too if you know it. . .

My Badlands Diablo is a great pack but 35lbs is about max load for it so looking for something that can handle more weight. I have a 19.5" torso at 5'10". . .

Thanks for any help and God bless you!

I prefer kifaru pack. Hands down the best out there in my opinion. I don't just use just a frame thou. I hunt elk with either a Kifaru Late Season, Kifaru KU, or Kifaru Longhunter. They cinch up nice for day use and expand for the heavy loads.

KU 5200 loaded down with meat. 2012 elk
DSC_5043.jpg

Kifaru Late Season. Bull I took in 2008
08Bull026.jpg

Longhunter with a full mule deer in it. Used it as a day pack. Then packed out the mulie with gear in one trip!
DSC_3912.jpg

Pic of a Longhunter with two quarters and a hide strapped to it. Helping pack out a friends bull. Bout died on this pack out! haha
DSC_4184.jpg

Last edited:
Kifaru is by far the absolute best pack on the planet!! I know they are very expensive but once you put one on, it all becomes clear. They fit and carry like no other pack.

Nice pictures Justin. The last one looks like your tank was just about empty!

-Jim

OP
cowboyarcher
Sounds like the Kifaru is favored and I like the looks of them. Any reason I should not expect 20 years from these packs?

Anyone in SE WY with one of these packs that I could try on? After September/October of course.

I'm thinking my style of hunting would be well suited by the Kifaru Duplex frame set up with the Cargo Panel and then attaching something like 4 MOLLE sustenance pouches to the panel to haul my day gear. Seldom will I be out overnight, but I could have to pack 3-4 miles before getting back to camp.

I don't know how long they will last but they will give you many many years of excellent service. You take care of them and they will take care of you. The Duplex frame is not what it used to be and I mean for the better. There are just so many options now that can be utilized with the frame it is amazing. Get yourself the frame with the cargo panel and a pocket or pod or two? Then you could get any of the 3 Timberline bags, longhunter bag???? I have see guys use the frame, cargo panel, and a sea to summit dry bag. Once you have the frame and panel I think the possibilities are endless. I have been using Kifaru for 13+ years and have been happy. However, I have always wanted/wished for more. Thank you to Aron, Kifaru has gone to a whole new level. Once you get a piece of Kifaru, it becomes an ADDICTION!!!

-Jim

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm in the wilderness at the moment, but the packs will last a long time.

I packed a 173 lb moose cape last week and 23 animals last year alone ....with one pack!

Call me anytime with questions .....I'll be back in town next Sunday, but i have good service above 11k and will return your call when i can.

720-937-1418

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For a mid range pack the BW is hard to beat. It's tough as hell.

In the Higher end. All of them will do what you ask. But once you put over 50-60 pound in them, the Kifaru stands alone in my opinion.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally, if you are on a budget then the REI XT 85 would be a great option. Lightweight (around 5 or so pound), great stiff frame to handle heavy loads, in fact carries loads better than most "hunting" packs in similar price range. If money is no object then a Kifaru DT1 would be my pick as it compresses down smaller, but it is heavier at around 7.5-8 pounds depending on options.

The Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 is a good option as well, but for my body type I have to get a large edge in comfort to Kifaru, so of course your mileage may very. I'm 5'9 152 lbs this morning, and hate to admit it, but I don't know my torso length, I just adjust a pack until it fits and go from there.

OP
cowboyarcher
Thanks for all the tips fellas, they are much appreciated. I think I need to save up my pennies and try on as many of these packs that I can find and go from there. I really like the Kifaru, MR and Eberlestock on paper, but really need to find a way to try them on before I drop that many pennies on any of them.

The reference to the REI pack is interesting as well, and I'd be open to other brands, I just don't really need an 85l bag for my style of hunting.

Thanks for all the tips fellas, they are much appreciated. I think I need to save up my pennies and try on as many of these packs that I can find and go from there. I really like the Kifaru, MR and Eberlestock on paper, but really need to find a way to try them on before I drop that many pennies on any of them.

The reference to the REI pack is interesting as well, and I'd be open to other brands, I just don't really need an 85l bag for my style of hunting.

Definately save your $$ and get a Kifaru. There is NOTHING that fits and carries like a Kifaru. The only reason you would sell a Kifaru pack woud be to fund a different model. If it came to that, they hold an extremely high resale value. Best of luck.

Cowboyarcher- In gonna take a kid up to Wyoming to pronghorn Doe hunt the 2nd weekend in October. North or cheyenne. If you would like to meet up? Got a Longhunter guide, late season, and KU 5200 you could try on and inspect. If that time doesn't work Id be willing to drive a couple hours an meet you in fort Collins later this winter if you would like

S

Salmo-Priest

Personally, if you are on a budget then the REI XT 85 would be a great option. Lightweight (around 5 or so pound), great stiff frame to handle heavy loads, in fact carries loads better than most "hunting" packs in similar price range. If money is no object then a Kifaru DT1 would be my pick as it compresses down smaller, but it is heavier at around 7.5-8 pounds depending on option.

Sorry guy's but this is really bad advice.. I just watched a REI XT 85 completely fall apart at the seams. The pack did fine with 40 lbs of gear. But blew apart at the seams with 40lbs of gear and 50 pounds of boned out mean. First with meat in tow off the mountain zippers started to blow under a compressed load. Then with a 90 pound load ready to head home first the waist strap buckle broke. Them more zipper rendered worthless. Then a load lifter fails. The packs first meat haul was a total failure. At least it wasn't me whom had to pack a 90 pound load off a mountain with no waist belt and a broken load lifter. Seriously a pack I wouldn't send my worst enemy up a mountain with. A really weak and worthless pack with all kinds of durability issues.

mtmiller

WKR
MR Crew Cab would work well, but I really like the MR Longbow. Whole deer and gear, no problem.

JNDEER

WKR
Blue widow or a Camelbak Commander (older version).

The Camelbak weighs about 3 something lbs and I can fit a whole boned blacktail in it (they are huge deer!). Never had to pack anything out further than about 2 miles with the Camelbak so I speak purely on smaller animals with less miles to get out.

hodgeman

WKR
I really like the MR NICE frame whether you put the Crew Cab bag, the Load Sling or the Longbow on it. I've hauled 3 caribou out on mine this year with great results. The Nice frame will accept several different bags and give you more versatility down the road...the 6500 is a great 7 day pack.

I didn't like the Eberlestock offering when you got it loaded down with meat and I've never been impressed with a Badlands.

No experience with a Kifaru but friends with them like them a lot.

OP
cowboyarcher
Hey guy, thanks again for all the info.

I found a steal on a MR Crew Cab bag (so cheap I can resell if it doesn't work out) so I'll be able to try that out. I'm going to try and get down and try on the Kifaru packs as well as soon as possible.

I really appreciate the way you guys helped me out in this thread! May the Lord richly bless you all!

For your kind of hunts I'd seriously look at finding a used longbow or crew cab setup. For my body type I liked my buddies CC almost as much as I do my Kifaru T1. If doing nothing but day hunts all my straps on the T1 would get old, however since I do both extended trips it fills both roles great.

Mike

bobhunts

WKR
All packs fit different on different people. I had heard some good things regarding the REI XT 85 pack and bought one. On my first scouting trip two years ago I wished I had my old Kelty Red Hawk! Returned it after the zipper broke on the maiden voyage. But like I said each pack fits each one differently. There was no problem in returning the pack it just did not fit me and I probably just got a bad zipper out of the batch made out of what ever country they are made in. I have owned and still do with some.. a Kelty Red Cloud I gave to my daughter ( probably too big for her torso but hey she kept bugging me for a pack!) A ton of Badlands.. a hypervent the best fitting day pack ever but the wire running through it squeeks a 2200 which to me seems over rated in space and the newest addition the Sacrifice! It is still on the bed in the spare bedroom. A big dissapointment after getting it. I do not need to put any weight in it to see how that one will feel! It is for sale if you lie it! Then on to the KUIU stuff. No problems with fit but a squeek sometimes when I leave camp and it goes away after I sinch down the upper side compression straps. Not sure where it comes from but a very good fitting pack with an adjustable torso. Got it with both the 3000 bag and the 6000 bag. Never used the larger one as I didn't need to this year. It is for sale with both bags. I'm gonna get a pack designed for more carry weight as I am going to Alaska next year for moose. I also have a MR Nice frame with the Cargo sling and like it as far as construction but does not fit me like I want. Very good product with what I believe is for the person that puts it on adjusted right one of the best!

Last edited: