Meat Processing

Donjuan

WKR
I am sure everyone is gearing up for fall hunting seasons.

As many of you know, our nation's large meat packers have been hit by Covid and there is a huge back log in processing cattle and hogs. In response, many people are buying meat on the hoof and getting appointments at their local butcher....the same butchers that process deer here in KS.

In Kansas I think you will be lucky to get a steer in by April. I do not know if these shops are leaving spots open for wild game.

I kindly suggest you check ahead before just expecting to dump off a buck or especially an elk! Hopefully it's not an issue but please do your homework or learn to process yourself.

Good luck to all!

Rancher

FNG
I process all of my game meat,and also a beef every year.Bone the meat out,get yourself a grinder,cut the steaks,roasts,and hamburger the rest.Save some money,and you get all your meat back.

jmcd22

WKR
A number of butchers around here have already stated that they will NOT be processing game this year because of Covid.

j_volt

WKR
I checked locally, and they told me that they make so much money on wild game that they have pushed out livestock to keep their fall open. I’m sure each place is different though.

Spike elk

WKR
Cutting your own meat is not tough to do and hard to screw up. You might not know the proper name of each cut but it comes apart in muscle groups. Trim the silver skin and even a small grinder will take care of business. The quality of my meat went through the roof when I started doing it myself. Been a long time since I had gamey meat.

Jardo

WKR
Processing game is up to 5 times more profitable than cutting beef, hogs, or sheep. Maybe not in all areas but certainly in most.

What butchers are saying no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
Processing game is up to 5 times more profitable than cutting beef, hogs, or sheep. Maybe not in all areas but certainly in most.

What butchers are saying no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many in kansas are. There are very strict regulations on processing wild game and beef in the same place. So much that many shops around here are done with deer. Combine that with the backlog and uncertainty in travel restrictions if the virus spiked several have just set dates for beef and pork that are in high demand