Meat Processors Thread

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Another thread got me to thinking that we need a Thread on Meat Processors (the good, the bad, and the ugly). I'm new to Colorado and need some good places to go check out before I get an elk down. Also this may be good for others that may be unhappy with their current meat processor to find another or those that just want to try somewhere different.

So post up your favorite places and what they are best at, sausage, brats, burger, jerky..........; and the places to avoid (make sure you give an exact civil example of why).

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I will go first. Where should I take my meat to in the Denver area? Also I will be hunting West of Granby and Hot Sulfur Springs. I found a place on the internet called Meat Cleaver Game Processing here in Denver, anyone ever use this place?

Last edited:

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few ideas if you are in Alaska.

Delta Junction: "Delta meats" great everything from what I have heard and tasted. Quick turn around and reasonable prices and they will deliver to other locations like Fairbanks.

Wasilla: "Pioneer Meats" in Meadow Lakes great service and products, quick turn around. I really like their Pioneer Slims and jalapeno/mozzarella cheese summer sausage, yummmm

Anchorage: "Glenns Wild Game" small operation with a quick turn around and great prices, good chorizo!

I will refrain from bringing up the bad experiences I have had. :)

2rocky

WKR
In Northern CA I am very happy with my local processor. Bud's Custom Meats. I bring him skinned deer carcasses and Elk Quarters if I am within a day's drive. Be warned ...If you have a dirty carcass, he will turn you away. I think THAT is why I like him best of all.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
In Northern CA I am very happy with my local processor. Bud's Custom Meats. I bring him skinned deer carcasses and Elk Quarters if I am within a day's drive. Be warned ...If you have a dirty carcass, he will turn you away. I think THAT is why I like him best of all.

I am all about taxidermist and meat processors that turn people away because the animal or meat is bad or when they already have too many on hand.

KMT

WKR
In the Denver area, Steve's Meat Market is the best place that I have used. I've taken my elk there for years an have always been happy. They place is clean, and the people are professional and friendly. They vacuum seal all steaks, roasts, jerky, etc. Burger is shrink wrapped. I once took an elk to a place in grand junction because I didn't want to drive back to Denver midway through archery season. I wish I that I had burned the extra half day to bring it to Steve's.

Curtis C

WKR
Its not Denver but it is worth the drive. Dawson Meat Company in Kiowa, CO 303 621 2837. He mixes some excellent sausage recipes along with doing your standard cutting. If you want jerky he will cut and package meat for you to bring back around January when things slow down a little.

C

Gman

WKR
I've always gone to Steve's but would like to hear more about The Meat Cleaver if anyone has experience.

jake

FNG
meat processor

Not sure where you are hunting but if you are in the Grand Mesa area, the best place to get your elk or deer processed is at the Big E market in Eckert. Not only will you get your meet professionally wrapped, you can see the large collection of big buck and elk racks on the wall in his store.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few ideas if you are in Alaska.

Delta Junction: "Delta meats" great everything from what I have heard and tasted. Quick turn around and reasonable prices and they will deliver to other locations like Fairbanks.

Wasilla: "Pioneer Meats" in Meadow Lakes great service and products, quick turn around. I really like their Pioneer Slims and jalapeno/mozzarella cheese summer sausage, yummmm

For folks looking to process up here in AK, I will second both Delta Meats and Pioneer Meats without reservation! Both make first rate meat products at reasonable prices and guAruntee you get your own meat back.

Course for the smaller critters we sometimes process ourselves, since it doesnt take that long and lets us get back out in the field faster :) here is my entire Dall sheep, cut into steaks and roasts and piled on our kitchen counter before putting it into the freezer...
6FA48F29-9367-4644-AD43-8D175C43DDED-420-00000075BF1776EA.jpg