Meat question?

So we have a cow tag that starts this weekend and it’s hot! The tag is in some rough country. If we can kill this weekend I will be packing out most of the meat as my father in law is not able to do much. I plan on boning them out. I have never hunted this early before. My question is what things can I do to help save the meat in 90 degree heat? How long do I have to get it down to town after it has been deboned?

Will_m

WKR
Deboning provides more surface area for problems to start. I also wouldn't debone.

freddyG

WKR
If you don’t debone, it can go bone sour in just a few hours. Rough country, hot, and by yourself sounds like spoiled meat to me. Your best bet is to shoot it at first light if possible, that way you at least have more time.

Actually, I would think the opposite than freddyG. I would want to shoot it close to last light, get it quartered and hung, then pack out early the next morning after it has cooled overnight. Even 90 during the day, my guess is you will get into the 50s over night. Just have it all packed out before 10 am when it starts to get hot again.

freddyG

WKR
Actually, I would think the opposite than freddyG. I would want to shoot it close to last light, get it quartered and hung, then pack out early the next morning after it has cooled overnight. Even 90 during the day, my guess is you will get into the 50s over night. Just have it all packed out before 10 am when it starts to get hot again.
This might work also, depending on how long it takes it to cool down in the evening. Sometimes it stays hot and muggy for quite a while after it gets dark.
I’m not trying to discourage the OP, but this hunt doesn’t sound too fun after the shot is made, and isn’t a good way to get great tasting meat.

IdahoHntr

WKR
This early I would be selective of when and where you are shooting an animal. Shooting an elk in the open in the morning a few miles from a road is not going to give you a very good chance of getting that meat cooled off. An elk's body temperature is over 100 degrees, so you'd be surprised even on a 90 degree day how quickly that meat can start cooling off if you can get it hung in some good shade. It will also keep, better than most think it will, in the shade, if it is hung up where it won't see the sun during the day.

I'd also say evenings are better. If you are doing all the hard work solo, then an elk takes time to process and pack. Even if you shoot one at first light in the morning, there is no way you are getting that whole thing processed and packed out before the hot part of the day. On the other hand, from late afternoon on the temperatures are only going to drop so time only helps instead of hinders what you are trying to do. I'd even do some packing at night to help avoid transporting the meat during the heat of the day.

The best eating elk I have ever had was killed August 31st on a 90+ degree day in the early evening. We got that bull processed as quick as possible and hanging bone in. In just 30 minutes in the shade, the meat was already getting cool to the touch. I thankfully had a few people to help pack meat out and we got it all packed out of there that night getting back to camp around 3 in the morning. Didn't have any meat loss and like I said it ended up being the best elk meat I've ever had. Early season animals have been feeding on all the best stuff, so if you can figure out how to take care of the meat, in my opinion, they are some of the best eating. Good luck on your hunt!

Wapiti1

WKR
Leave on the bone, but make a cut the length of the hind quarter on the inside all the way to the bone to get some air in there. Hang in the shade with no bag on it and let evaporation help you out. Only bag it when you are ready to pack that quarter. The drying of the meat pulls heat.

If there is any running water, sink the quarters. Running water will cool it faster than air.

You have time. As Cnelk stated it isn't ice cream. Get the hide off, get it cooling, and let evaporation work. Then let your legs do the walking.

Jeremy

OP
U
Thanks everyone. We have been seeing elk from 8000-11000 ft so the temperature will very. There is quite a few creeks in the canyons were we have been seeing elk. I plan on keeping it as close to the truck as possible. I could probably round up a few buddies to help. It should be a fun hunt I will keep you posted.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted that tag last year. Shot was at daylight took me two round trips to get everything back to the Jeep. Left half in the shade while i hiked it out and was around 9am when i finished hauling everything out. Hung up the game bags in the shade next to a steam for a couple hours while i packed up camp then drove to town for ice. We didn't have any problems with the meat.
f74ec0c10a447041a2610fe2a47b77a8.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Shoot as close to the truck as possible. I'd prefer late evening and packing in the dark if the terrain allows. If the terrain is too nasty for packing in the dark, then I'd want to shoot as early as possible giving it the best chance to cool down. Early morning may will likely be cooler than last light.

My vote is for deboning and giving more surface area for heat to escape.

I don't know your cover type, so this may not apply. I like gutless, but I also want cooling to start ASAP. In warm weather the guts really start to bloat, so I'd probably gut the thing quickly ( it really doesn't take that long) then get to skinning one side and quartering. I would place in meat bags to protect from flies and get those quarters hanging in the darkest and coolest spot I could find even if that means packing those quarters a little ways. Center of a dark drainage where the coolest thermals are heading down can really be nice in the mountains. After I finish taking off all meat and hanging, I'd pull down each quarter bag and debone unless it is a really short pack. It really doesn't take that long to debone. I'd start packing immediately afterwards.

If it's not a school bus sized cow, two guys can do it in one trip. That's not to say that it'll be fun. I wouldn't shoot a calf but I'd pick a young / medium sized cow out.

I've got a cow tag that will let me shoot one with a rifle mid August. I don't really like that, but I would sure like to restock my freezer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are planing on taking a smaller cow if possible. Should I be worried about flys if I hang them not in a bag for a while?
Yes. I bagged mine but one had a small gap over the calf when i hung it up and that small piece was a mess. I saw it but where i needed hang out was a pain to mess with and i simply skipped fixing it. Lesson learned for sure. Luckily i had looped 550 cord a bit lower and it sealed everything off below the calf. First time I've had largve hatch on anything.

I used gutless and bagged as i went but i was super speedy and efficient.

Deadfall

WKR
Put it in a creek...lay branches or cloth over it to keep sun off. Then hang it. Pack in evening or dark.

Killing one in the AM could present some issues if you're a distance away from the truck. This time of year in the evening, I wouldn't even worry. I'd quarter, bag, and hang as always in a good shaded area and the night time temps would cool it down nicely.

Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. Like it was mentioned above (it's not ice cream) and you have time just think outside the box a bit if you're a ways in.

Biggest thing this time of the year is making sure you put a good shot on your elk. The last thing you want to do is "Give it time."

tjihrig

FNG
I agree with the creek and evening pack. Game bags and submerge it. Water won’t hurt the meat. Chris Roe has a great video on this if you look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the creek and evening pack. Game bags and submerge it. Water won’t hurt the meat. Chris Roe has a great video on this if you look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you drink straight from a creek? Why add an extra variable you don't control

Deadfall

WKR
Would you drink straight from a creek? Why add an extra variable you don't control

I drink straight from them all the time. Been using the meat in creek deal since 90s. Helps clean and cure meat as well if you leave if atleast 24 hrs.

The contents of creek are best filters in world. I.e. rocks, moss and what not.

Standing water different deal.

I prefer hunting early season in most places I go. Not to hard finding animals fairly close to water since its hot that time of year

Deadfall

WKR
p.s. been at this deal since I was being packed around in my dads backpack. Have not one time used water filtration system on moving water