Meat shelf ?

Stalker69

WKR
So looking at EXO MOUNTAIN sight, it looks as though you need tp purchase a load shelf separately ( or do they come with it when you buy the bag and frame) if you want to carry meat out, with out the pack attached ? My thought is pack in, take bag off frame when we get one down and use the frame to pack it either back to camp or out. If I was to buy an SG would I have to do the same thing ?

Last edited:
Reactions: scp

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Both SG and Exo have integrated shelves. No need to purchase any other item. Can’t go wrong with either.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
integrated into the bag it’s self ? Because I would be removing the bag and using the frame with dry bag or game bags to pack with. When I look at their sights, it does not look as though you get a meat shelf of any kind when you purchase the frame.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, integrated into the bag. I just re-read your thought. To do what you outlined you’d have to buy the Crib Panel from Exo or the shelf and some extra cargo straps from SG. Either way there is in fact an extra purchase to make. I personally have used the Exo frame, minus the bag, with the Crib as a hauler. Works terrific and can be run between the frame and bag when you have the full pack together. You’ll never even know it’s there.

Actually, now that I think about it, an SG pack’s included straps are enough to tie a load down to the frame and their (quite large) shelf. No need to purchase anything g further if you get one of their packs.

Last edited:
OP, both companies have good videos Illustrating the function of their load the shelf. The “sling” part of it does not come with exo frame (or at least didn’t when I bought my last one) but does come with SG frame. It is not needed to use a load shelf but is a nice addition.

You don’t need to drop your bag if you have a load of meat in the shelf, youre probably going to want the bag on still for water, food, first aid, clothes, knife, weapon carrier, etc.

I run the KUIU pack but am a fan of the load hauler setups. Unless you’re carrying all your gear with you while hunting, I’d pack the load hauler panel in and leave it at camp. Get all your meat in game bags and hanging in a tree, then carry a lighter load back to camp with it sandwiched between your bag. Drop the bag, add the load hauler panel, and go get the rest of it to head to the truck.

If you set your gear up the right way, you don’t have to transfer much over. I carry my map and compass in 1 hip belt pocket all the time, and a headlamp in the other. With a small pocketknife in my back pocket, all I have to do is pull my water bladder out and throw a couple snacks in the hip belt pocket. I store my rain gear rolled up in Velcro straps which makes it easy to attach if the sky looks dark also.

Here’s a pic after packing out a bull last year.

B24A5C00-4656-434D-8ED7-E1336CFE71EE.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
For the stone glacier the load shelf comes with the frame and the straps on the frame are adequate but you will need some buckles so you can connect the frame straps since they will not connect to one another because they are all female ends. Other than that the frame as it comes is very capable of carrying a load out.