Meat Shelves..... like or dislike?

Poser

WKR
^^^^ This^^^^. I don't know what people carry to say that the load in the bag is going to pull you backwards if you have meat in the shelf. Yes, a rifle or bow strapped to a bag sandwiching meat will screw with the balance of the pack. But, unless you are bringing a size-able amount of Spike camp or a bivy camp out with a load of meat, this theory is mostly fireside logic. Day hunt gear isn't going to affect you that bad strapped over a loaded meat shelf with properly packed meat.

I've done it both ways with multiple pack frames and bags. And, I much prefer the shelf. I imagine these great big bags would hold a whole deboned elk. We are talking a lot of weight. Regardless of the internet persona present on hunting forums, it is just too heavy to feel the bag up and carry out for most common folk. I think people forget that when they advise you of their load outs. Its like guys saying they packed out their bull in 5 loads. All 5 loads were over 90 pounds. SMH

In my case, carrying a full camp + a load of meat is exactly the scenario I am talking about where a bag, with say 40# of gear is sitting behind, say, 50-60# of meat. A day load wouldn’t be a problem, but meat + 3 days worth of gear is a compromise. I have been more uncomfortable in that scenario (gear + meat) than packing out an entire 1/2 an elk + antlers (twice the weight) on the meat shelf.

rbljack

WKR
I haven't had the opportunity to pack meat with my reckoning yet.. But I like having the option of using the meat shelf. I have carried my camp stove in there, and I also like the fact that my water bladder isn't inside my pack ever. If it leaks, its on the outside of the bag. The one downside I see to the kifaru meat shelf set up on the reckoning (and the other bags) was that its a bit of a process to get the bag separated to carry the meat. BUT...with that said, they have a great new system in that Stryker pack that I am seriously eyeing up for day trips! When I looked at packs, I was torn between the EXO and the Kifaru Reckoning. The EXO had a better system to separate the bag to use the meat shelf. The kifaru had a more universal method, better bag options, and the ability to add or leave things depending on the trip. Seeing how I haven't even used my meat shelf yet, I think I made the right choice...LOL.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Get yourself a Mystery Ranch frame with a bag. Super easy to use and packs meat like no other. I run a couple different bags for different styles of hunting. I used an expandable bag pack before I switched to a shelf. Separating meat from gear is key for me

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the meat shelf on my Stone Glacier pack. I think it carried weight really well.

I dislike the meat shelf on my current KifaruI think it sits too low. So meat goes in the bag.

Jbehredt

WKR
The exo crib load panel is one of my favorite possessions. A few buddies have picked them up after seeing mine in action. Can set any load as high or low as you need. I keep it sandwiched between my bag and frame at all times. First load out the bag is cinched over it. Subsequent loads it’s crib only.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I'd ever go back to hauling meat in a bag. A shelf just makes things so easy- loosen up the straps, load up your boned meat in a sack (Stone Glacier's load cells work really well), cinch it back it up and go.

A load of boned out meat can be precisely spread out over the full length of the frame and close to your back, your lighter camping gear behind it.

LY8FQrD.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv done both and prefer in the bag. A shelf is a nice option to have, but for how I hunt most of the time, a fulcrum with umteen straps is the quickest way to get meat from point A to point B.

Not a shelf but Iv also packed a number of quarters under the wings of my fulcrum, with day hunting gear this works slick, and is fast.

I’ve done both. They both have a place in my bag of tricks. I currently prefer meat in the bag solely because I can easily keep it up higher. I’m using an older Kifaru HC7000. I just cinch the lower compression straps to effectively cut off the bottom. The High Camp has a bottom zipper, so I can still access the bottom. Someone will point out that bag has the higher meat shelf attachment points, however the new frame fails to have the corresponding connections. Now, if I use a different bag/pack it may be a different story...

d57a0f86f869573fd6b6c7cee4ac2aa9.jpg

In my case, carrying a full camp + a load of meat is exactly the scenario I am talking about where a bag, with say 40# of gear is sitting behind, say, 50-60# of meat. A day load wouldn’t be a problem, but meat + 3 days worth of gear is a compromise. I have been more uncomfortable in that scenario (gear + meat) than packing out an entire 1/2 an elk + antlers (twice the weight) on the meat shelf.

Do you feel having meat and gear in the bag hauls better than meat on shelf, gear in bag in that scenario?

If so, how does the same quantity of meat and gear end up further back from the frame with either method when the same gear is pulled to the frame with the same compression straps with either method? You would have to have air voids or less compression with one of the methods and I’m having a hard time seeing that happening.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MR sawtooth and a 6500. I love the load shelf on the sawtooth. Used it to pack out an elk this fall. One load was a bone in rear. I don’t see how I would have effectively stuffed this in my 6500 bag and that is a huge bag! That being said, any in the bag guys want a MR 6500 on a NICE frame?Willing to make a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Do you feel having meat and gear in the bag hauls better than meat on shelf, gear in bag in that scenario?

If so, how does the same quantity of meat and gear end up further back from the frame with either method when the same gear is pulled to the frame with the same compression straps with either method? You would have to have air voids or less compression with one of the methods and I’m having a hard time seeing that happening.

Because the meat on the frame eats up a lot of volume, pushing the weight of the gear 8-10 inches back further than it would normally ride. Sure, compression straps are attached but the weight in the bag itself is so far back that it creates a noticeable inefficiency in terms of center of gravity.
Load a couple of sand bags on your meat shelf and then Attach your bag with camp for 3 days and see how it feels. Since you load the meat high to be efficient and since you load your heavy gear high in your bag, the volume of the meat is pushing your bag back far from your body right where the heaviest camp gear is loaded. While you do transfer load through compression straps, you are still at a mechanical disadvantage with regards to gravity.

I find having a shelf also expands your carrying capacity with bulky gear like sleeping bags and shelters

Only tried a shelf once, but didn't like it. I put the meat directly into the bag and put my gear in a trash bag.
When home I turn the bag inside out and rinse it with a garden hose.

rbnhood

FNG
I prefer a meat shelf as well. Never have, but I don't think I want to stick bloody meat in with all the rest of my gear.

Sometimes a guy just needs more room, so the ol meat shelf sure comes in handy. I'd rather have it there and not need it than not have it and really need it.

Randle

WKR
Shelf for me as well, meat in the bag is too much like stuffing a duffel bag in the army. Hated that. I suppose different bags panel loader etc might work . But for me shelf is faster.

Last edited: