Meat Shipping

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I have an elk hunt in Alberta in a couple of weeks. Flying in and out of Grand Prairie.

Anyone have any recommendations for meat shippers?

Assuming you will have it processed there, I've found Fedex to be the cheapest. Or you can pay for additional baggage on your flight, but that will add up quick for an elk.

OP
W

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you will have it processed there, I've found Fedex to be the cheapest. Or you can pay for additional baggage on your flight, but that will add up quick for an elk.
Additional baggage is my last resort, flew a couple coolers home last time and it was a good bit.

BTLowry

FNG
I don't know

But one of the Docs I work for went a couple years ago to Idaho and had the meat shipped home and I want to say it cost around $4-450

Wife worked at place and one of the clients had family in Alaska. They went up and caught salmon and occasionally shot a moose. She claimed it was cheapest to buy a big cooler and duct tape it up and check it at the airport

Like I said, no personal experience

It may have been slightly more than $200 but not over $250. I'll try to find the bill. It was Deemos in Ennis.

OP
W

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Bull elk processed in MT, shipped to east TN was around $200 via fedex two years ago.
Since it's coming from Canada, it's not going to be that cheap. I called FedEx yesterday, and it was going to run $290 per cooler. That's not bad, and I'd do that, if it wasn't for the fact that it would take 9 days. I'd have to pay around an additional $120/cooler for dry ice service, basically FedEx comes in and puts in new dry ice. Honestly, I don't trust that it would happen. Likely going to check coolers, unless I find a better option.

Since it's coming from Canada, it's not going to be that cheap. I called FedEx yesterday, and it was going to run $290 per cooler. That's not bad, and I'd do that, if it wasn't for the fact that it would take 9 days. I'd have to pay around an additional $120/cooler for dry ice service, basically FedEx comes in and puts in new dry ice. Honestly, I don't trust that it would happen. Likely going to check coolers, unless I find a better option.
Mine was shipped in insulated cardboard boxes.

Also, I believe Deemo's originally told me that it would be like $400. I was pleasantly surprised when they called me to tell me the rate was much cheaper.

Go online and create yourself a FedEx and an UPS account. It will likely be less expensive that way and you can compare prices ahead, and not have to take what they offer you at the counter.

Also check with the processor ahead of time, they have likely dealt with customers in your situation before and might be setup for cold packaging and shipping. My son just got back from AK and bought back fish to TN and their processor got everything ready in good boxes and the Halibut have been great. :)