Meat tarps

what all kinda tarps does everyone use to lay quarters out on in the field? Been looking at using a kifaru sheep tarp or seek outside Colorado tarp to put down for laying meat on in the field, anyone use either of these? If not what do you use?

Thanks in advance

ljalberta

WKR
I've always just used a 'clean' rock, the animals hide, or dropped the meat into a game bag and placed that somewhere. That being said, if you're looking for an economic option, check out Borah Gear. I have their 5.5'x9' tarp, although they have other sizes as well. I am more than happy with the quality and service provided by Borah and would certainly recommend them.

I’ve always just bought a large role of cheap, really thin (0.7mm), visqueen from someplace like Lowe’s and cut a large enough section off to do the job. I’ve never weighed it but I’m guessing probably right around 1 oz. or so. I always carry some in my kill kit, usually about 6’x10’, give or take, and have used it for multiple things besides just laying quarters on. I’ve used it to put down over a depression, to collect rain water on an otherwise dry mountain top (kept me from having to desend a couple thousand feet to collect water), i’ve also used it to cover meat to keep it from getting wet. When I’m done with the hunt, it just gets thrown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve always just bought a large role of cheap, really thin (0.7mm), visqueen from someplace like Lowe’s and cut a large enough section off to do the job. I’ve never weighed it but I’m guessing probably right around 1 oz. or so. I always carry some in my kill kit, usually about 6’x10’, give or take, and have used it for multiple things besides just laying quarters on. I’ve used it to put down over a depression, to collect rain water on an otherwise dry mountain top (kept me from having to desend a couple thousand feet to collect water), i’ve also used it to cover meat to keep it from getting wet. When I’m done with the hunt, it just gets thrown away.

Well dang. Might just have to give that a go sometime.

I use a piece of tyvek. I tried the super thin window shrink wrap and while it was lite it was way to slick and the meat stuck to it easily. The Tyvek is not quite as slick and still pretty lite and easy to see against since it is white. I crumple the tyvek up after I'm finished and put it in an outside pocket of my pack and throw it away. Around 3x4 or5 works well for a size. I've tried smaller and while it works it gets tight to lay an elk quarter on prior to deboning.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I tried thin plastics sheeting. Tore easily and blew around too easy. I now use tyvek. Works pretty good.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After skinning the hide down it makes for a nice clean spot to lay meat or quarters until I put them into game bags. But they don't lay there long, as they're going in the bag as soon as I've got the bag open.

CJF

WKR
1 contractor trash bag cut to lay flat will fit a quartered elk.

I've used Tyvek with good results. It's washable and durable, plus makes a good shade tarp over a meat pole or cache. I've also used a silnylon tarp I made myself. It folds very small and weighs nothing. One nice thing about it is the slick surface makes it less sticky to meat, and it washes very easily after use.

duchntr

WKR
I use whatever type of visqeen I have on hand, weighs and costs very little. Makes no sense to to buy a 100$ tarp to just put bloody meat on it.

I usually just put the meat straight into my meat bags. May try contractor bags this year. One for the ground and one in by bag to keep blood off everything.

rayporter

WKR
space blankets work as does the visqueen. if you buy a painters drop cloth it will be folded very compactly and take up almost no space. they are cheap and light wt.

if you can hang it just leave the hide on until the end. then peel off the hide and debone last.

Fitzwho

WKR
I use a MSR groundsheet from a tent I no longer have. If it’s windy, it already has points to stake it down. Works well for laying out a hide or cape that your keeping and folding it all up as well.

cwegga

FNG
I'm normally for the visqueen/painters plastic, but I think I may be switching to dollar store tablecloths to get it less slippy and more durable.

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
I generally pack a contractor garbage bag with me, Ill lay a quarter on it if need be.

I also own the sheep tarp, I wouldn't use it for a meat tarp though. For one its a nice tarp and its relatively pricey. Id hate to poke holes in it by stacking meat on it.
Plus I don't love the idea of soaking my shelters in blood, I already feel like a bear taco while I'm trying to fall asleep underneath them without adding any seasoning to them. lol

Azone

WKR
Those cheap little survival/space blankets are hard to beat. They weigh nothing and cost under a dollar if you find a deal on them. They double as a rain fly when meat has to hang in a tree also. Get home and toss them in the recycling, done deal.