Meat

JoshB94

FNG
Im on the Atlantic flyway in SC. Public land around Charleston is less than stellar to say the least... And yeah thats quite a long season.
You finding many public land ducks this year? I moved to Charleston 2 years ago just a quick ways down from Morehead area and boy is that a world of difference in hunting quality in a few short hours.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I wish I was you neighbor!
Come on over.

Last weekend I finished up my deer processing for the year. 150lbs total of breakfast sausage, hot italian, burger grind and chorizo.

Waterfowl ends in 3 weeks then it's time to knock out all the summer sausage, snack sticks and brats.

I enjoy processing my meat and knowing ever step of its journey from alive to my family eating it. But it's a huge process and a lot of work. Most don't realize the effort to make the best product out there that you're proud of. And then cleaning up the equipment after a full day or work just sucks.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
Damn, that is a lot of ducks. With my shooting skills I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house to buy enough shells to get that many. I have never smoked meat before, but I am curious if the internal temperature gets high enough to not have to worry about trichinosis with bear? Thanks for the pics. I was ready for bed but now I am off to the kitchen to search for a tasty snack.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Damn, that is a lot of ducks. With my shooting skills I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house to buy enough shells to get that many. I have never smoked meat before, but I am curious if the internal temperature gets high enough to not have to worry about trichinosis with bear? Thanks for the pics. I was ready for bed but now I am off to the kitchen to search for a tasty snack.
Absolutely. The internal temp will get to whatever desired temp you would like. For all my bear product, I hit 160. But with smokers/cookers you can hit any temp you want easy peasy.

I have never seen this before, it is very strong! How long did it take you to do this? It seems to me that it takes forever to do this

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Must be some pretty damn big ducks to get a 100 lbs of duck meat and stay under the possession limit ;)

:rolleyes:

I do not store more than my possession limit of ducks in my freezer as feathered intact waterfowl that is unprocessed or unpacked. I also have no need or desire to explain to you the legal process of storing game meat in your freezer that may be over the legal possession limit.

Last edited:
OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I have never seen this before, it is very strong! How long did it take you to do this? It seems to me that it takes forever to do this
1 day of grinding, mixing and stuffing casings.
18-22 hours of smoking time.
Then a few hours to cut, package, label, and clean up.
Shorter answer, 3 days.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
:rolleyes:

I do not store more than my possession limit of ducks in my freezer as feathered intact waterfowl that is unprocessed or unpacked. I also have no need or desire to explain to you the legal process of storing game meat in your freezer that may be over the legal possession limit.
Lol, just tugging your chain. Im well aware of the law.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
You add pork to the duck?
Yeah
70/30 duck to poker shoulder. Perfect amount of fat where is does NOT coat your mouth like some summer sausage does but still enough fat to make it have perfect texture and flavor. Just make sure you smoke it low enough to not render the fat out. When that happens you'll have a grumbly product or product full of holes and dry.