MeatEater and Weatherby?

Ratbeetle

WKR
It sounds like you're into this topic. I can appreciate when somebody is passionate or invested about a single political issue. Even if I dont agree with the other persons ideas if theyre passionate and involved with it god bless em. At least they're doing something not just complainin. I encourage anybody to keep your elected lawmakers office phone in your contacts and call and leave a message when something comes up. For real, call up, a polite intern will answer, tell them you would like to leave a message for X and you can politely give your opinion and how you would like that official to vote on an issue. Put those numbers on social media for your local friends to have too. Most people dont know who their representatives are, its not easy keeping up with who it is now and which district # you are. Takes time and it is confusing if youre not super into politics.

I dont give money to the NRA. Not a member. I would consider it for sure if some things changed. You mention you are not a member either. I’m curious why not. Is it monetary or you belong to another organization. Its not cheap to do it every year, I get that from friends. Others may give small amounts when possible like the Midway round-up when you checkout or donations at a gun store.

I'm a believer that shall not be infringed means exactly that. The NRA of today is just a money-gathering, fear-mongering organization that is quick to bend to popular opinion instead of actually defending gun rights. They'll sell gun owners down the river in a heartbeat if they can profit from it. They will have to completely purge their leadership before I would join again.

Look, politics makes me feel dirty. I'm just tired of feeling like some "A hole" politician is always trying to chip away at the things that I hold dear. I just want married, transsexual pot farmers to be able to defend their crops with suppressed, select-fire rifles while worshiping the deity of their choice. In short, I want a small government that leaves me (and everyone else) the "F" ALONE.

That and I want to draw some good tags this year.

NEhunter

WKR
I'm a believer that shall not be infringed means exactly that. The NRA of today is just a money-gathering, fear-mongering organization that is quick to bend to popular opinion instead of actually defending gun rights. They'll sell gun owners down the river in a heartbeat if they can profit from it. They will have to completely purge their leadership before I would join again.

Look, politics makes me feel dirty. I'm just tired of feeling like some "A hole" politician is always trying to chip away at the things that I hold dear. I just want married, transsexual pot farmers to be able to defend their crops with suppressed, select-fire rifles while worshiping the deity of their choice. In short, I want a small government that leaves me (and everyone else) the "F" ALONE.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR

Amen to this. See, I knew we agreed in here somewhere.

tdhanses

WKR
On the newer seasons he is obviously using nicer gear and those of us that recognize it see that, but I don't hear him ever mention a brand on the show. Of course there is a commercial or two during the show but there always was (Vortex and Federal come to mind). My step daughter watches the show religiously and I guarantee you she couldn't tell you what brand of gear, boots, tent, pack, sleeping bag, etc they use. If he's ever mentioned any of that stuff in an episode, I missed it and someone can correct me. And as someone else mentioned, they talk about products on the podcast a little when they have sponsors on, but I'd guess most people that listen to the podcast don't mind.

It's still very different from most hunting shows where the dialog goes more like "We're sitting here in our Redneck blind and have our Ozonics going; hoping a big buck comes out into this Whitetail Institute clover plot so we can lay the smack down on him with our new Thompson Center".

He does you tube videos of sponsor gear.

The law concerning federal parks made my point ,105 Democrats voted for 145 Democrats voted against only 2 turncoat Republicans voted no. That is 72 times as many Democrats voted against gun owners than did Republicans . Obama only signed it because it was attached to a credit card bill he really needed to go through and because the law could be overridden by the state the park was in .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

But your argument is that voting for Democrats is voting against guns yet over 70% 42% voted to expand the right to carry a gun. Then you say it could be overridden by the state as the reason for it passing. Aren't Republicans for state rights and less federal government?

Edit on the math. Point was no party is completely for or against the 2A. We need to support individuals that are good for hunting and Rinella is one of those no matter who is bankrolling his show.

Last edited:
But your argument is that voting for Democrats is voting against guns yet over 70% voted to expand the right to carry a gun. Then you say it could be overridden by the state as the reason for it passing. Aren't Republicans for state rights and less federal government?.

Thats your argument?? Just stop. Nonsense.

You are right, democrats at this time in our lives are not openly against private ownership of guns. There is no video or audio proof to support this (Move along, nothing to see here). The democratic party embraces the lives that the majority of those who come here hold dear. Those who say different are all fear mongering knuckle draggers.

I will flay myself post haste.

I REALLY need to stop reading this tripe.

WKR
Who cares if meateater and weatherby joined up? I am sure it monetarily benefits both sides and I would shoot their rifles if they paid me. Didn't Weatherby ditch all of its California ties for the last 50 years and up and move to Wyoming because of the politics of California? Democrats usually support gun control and Republicans usually support private land ownership. Choose your candidates wisely.

ODB

WKR
He does you tube videos of sponsor gear.

Rinella is a non-selling seller. He knows guys like those on rokslide foam at the mouth over what gear he uses because gear heads are obsessed with, well, gear. Any tiny perceived benefit from a piece of gear will be picked up by the viewer, sycophant, etc., and be duly purchased. I actually think he trolled the companies early on by wearing many manufacturers hoping one would pick him up. Smart idea, but he’s still a salesman.

Frankly, and unfortunately, the meateater brand has a diminishing return for me these days.

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't watch Meateater anymore. Dude lives in NYC. I don't like Salsa from there either. IMO the only Weatherby's worth owning are the ones made in Germany.

He hasn’t lived in NYC for years, moved to Seattle for his wife’s career but now lives in Bozeman Montana.

All you guys are crazy with the one side is the only right side crap. Is there anything out there that you would not complain about?

HunterEng

FNG
I'm curious what caliber/cartridge he is going to shoot....as a fellow lefty not too many options from weatherby....pry will get something from the custom shop?

ozarkpugs

FNG
But your argument is that voting for Democrats is voting against guns yet over 70% voted to expand the right to carry a gun. Then you say it could be overridden by the state as the reason for it passing. Aren't Republicans for state rights and less federal government?.
Also Gore math? 105 out of 250 = 42% not 70% and that is just one bill cherry picked out of many that the percentage was lower than 40% for gun owners , for comparison 97% of the Republicans voted for the bill . Even if the average was 40% for gun owners that is still less than half to the Republicans 97% . No I don't think the Republican party is 100% for the Second but 97 v 40 is nothing to brag about .

ozarkpugs

FNG
Al Gore math? 105 out of 250 = 42% not 70% and that is just one bill cherry picked out of many that the percentage was lower than 40% for gun owners , for comparison 97% of the Republicans voted for the bill . Even if the average was 40% for gun owners that is still less than half to the Republicans 97% . No I don't think the Republican party is 100% for the Second but 97 v 40 says it all .

. ,

Mosby

WKR
He hasn’t lived in NYC for years, moved to Seattle for his wife’s career but now lives in Bozeman Montana.

All you guys are crazy with the one side is the only right side crap. Is there anything out there that you would not complain about?

One of the last shows I saw he was cooking at his place in NYC but I haven't watched his show in a long time. More than anything, I just get bored with all the narrative, but thats me. Filming a hunting show in NYC didn't increase my interest. Switching from a custom made rifle to a Weatherby doesn't make much sense to me either but I guess a man's got to make a living. I wonder what he carries when the camera isn't filming? Regardless, I still would not buy salsa made in NYC. Their pizza is over rated too, sort of like Philly cheese steaks or food at Mothers in New Orleans, so guess there isn't much I won't complain about when it comes to tv or food or NYC for that matter. I normally do not like to discuss religion or politics though, especially on a forum.

Last edited:

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it has to do something with Vista Outdoors (parent company of Savage his current sponsor) openly talking about selling of Savage for the last year and rumors of a deal being finalized in the near future. That would of course go against some people’s ridiculous suggestion that he is a liberal shill and sell out, but far more logical. Weatherby is a family owned company that would probably offer more stability than a new corporate entity.

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/02/vista-outdoor-to-sell-savage-brand

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/...oors-on-target-to-sell-savage-arms-divis.aspx

I really enjoy meat eater, love weatherby rifles and really like most things firstlite. I don’t see much reason for a camo gun.. hell I hardly se reason for most of the clothing sold to be camo but one of those firstlite weatherbys looks pretty cool. Saw it at the sheep show and I want one. I like seeing these companies that work hard toward conservation working together. Makes me want to purchase from them.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
To the guys that don't like MeatEater due to their politics- What hunting shows, personalities etc do you like?

Edit to clarify- I love MeatEater, love that he doesn't pitch product the whole show, and is more about the meat than the rack. I'm a whitetail hunter in Iowa, so of course I love big giant bucks, but he has opened my eyes to some wild game eating (heart, liver, ribs etc.)

Last edited:

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Is it just me who has a gut reaction to shun gear that starts popping up everywhere (due to sponsorships)? Seems like Vortex, Weatherby, Crispi, etc are everywhere right now. I know some of these items are top notch but I still question where all those dollars spent on marketing are being saved in production...