Meateater: Ashby and Rinella

Will_m

WKR
I still want them to finish the rhino hunting story...Cant believe Steve cut him off like that and never returned.

I do think its interesting when you listen to Dudley, Snyder, even T-bone from Bone Collector they all are like meh I'm around 15-18% FOC if I had to sit down and figure it out. More worried about figuring out a spine/length arrow match that is tuned and shooting well than the weight and being very successful.
He probably did that from the potential PR fallout of having somebody talk about killing a rhino, given the current temperature of his company.

Also, I'd like to point out: only an optometrist could have the time AND money to spend so much time on something like this.

3forks

WKR
He probably did that from the potential PR fallout of having somebody talk about killing a rhino, given the current temperature of his company.

Also, I'd like to point out: only an optometrist could have the time AND money to spend so much time on something like this.
I wondered if Steve’s attitude towards the game Ashby hunted colored his perspective towards whatever Ashby was trying to contend about FOC.

I was surprised too at Steve’s lack of knowledge concerning archery. But then again, I recall one podcast where Steve didn‘t know what fire forming brass was.

I know the point of having guests on a podcast is to educate the listeners from the expertise of the guest. But, you‘d think someone like Steve would have a broader base of knowledge because he sure goes into the minutiae on obscure shit no one really cares about.

woods89

WKR
I was just glad for some real hunting related content!

I'm not running out and ordering new arrows, though. I shoot 70#, 28'' draw, with GT Velocitys, 100 gr brass inserts, and 100 gr VPA 3 blades, and usually I have to dig arrows out of the dirt, even though my arrows are much lighter than he likes.

Seemed like most of his theory was much more applicable to trad bows or light poundage, and game bigger than whitetails. Still an interesting listen, though.

whaack

WKR
I like Steve. I think he’s a great asset for hunting. That said he seemed bored, over his head, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Krem

FNG
I thought it was pretty vanilla, as Steve says "explain it to me like a 5 year old" I was hoping for more. Dr. Ashby may not be a Dr in physics but becoming a Dr trains you to learn extremely quickly I trust his work but Id like more research into shots over 20 yards with modern equipment.

I didn’t mind Rinella challenging Ashby on some of this stuff. It gave Ashby an opportunity to explain some of the methods used to conduct his research.

Nobody can say the guy didn’t put a ton of work into his testing in order to come up with the conclusions he did.

I don’t subscribe to 100% of what he promotes, but mostly because I don’t think it’s necessary for what we do here in North America. It’s not because I don’t think it works or has validity.

I do like listening to him talk about his research. He’s very knowledgeable and has obviously been around the block a time or two.

I thought it was pretty vanilla, as Steve says "explain it to me like a 5 year old" I was hoping for more. Dr. Ashby may not be a Dr in physics but becoming a Dr trains you to learn extremely quickly I trust his work but Id like more research into shots over 20 yards with modern equipment.

I've met some pretty crazy and stupid Ophthalmologists in my life. Seriously, they have more quacks than some of the other fields I've worked with. I wouldn't agree that becoming a doctor trains you to learn quickly, more teaches you to follow procedures based on assessments on biological and social factors... I would argue the military trains you to learn quick. For any degree at any level, they are not approached the same. An ophthalmologist doctorate does not follow the same methods as an MD let alone a PhD for researching physics. He was likely exposed to research but may never have been taught how to carry out proper research in a field like physics. Seems he DIY'd it...

I only comment on this because I agree with everyone who says to take him with a grain of salt and also to not be tricked into thinking because he's a Doc he's the expert in this area. To me, he's just an average guy tinkering with arrows as a hobby and sharing his findings, albeit very passionately.

Thought the show as a whole was relatively interesting, but I think that the FOC argument leaves many other factors out of the equation. To me there has to be some balance, and while its not all about speed, speed definitely improves accuracy in hunting situations IMO, others may disagree (pin gapping, or shooting a single pin without being able to adjust for every shot). I think as a reasonable person, you can listen to an interview like this and try to maybe improve your FOC a bit, but while still having a balance.

thought it was entertaining however I kept thinking "yeah but I'm not hunting cape buffalo at 18 yds" the whole time.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I've met some pretty crazy and stupid Ophthalmologists in my life. Seriously, they have more quacks than some of the other fields I've worked with. I wouldn't agree that becoming a doctor trains you to learn quickly, more teaches you to follow procedures based on assessments on biological and social factors... I would argue the military trains you to learn quick. For any degree at any level, they are not approached the same. An ophthalmologist doctorate does not follow the same methods as an MD let alone a PhD for researching physics. He was likely exposed to research but may never have been taught how to carry out proper research in a field like physics. Seems he DIY'd it...

I only comment on this because I agree with everyone who says to take him with a grain of salt and also to not be tricked into thinking because he's a Doc he's the expert in this area. To me, he's just an average guy tinkering with arrows as a hobby and sharing his findings, albeit very passionately.

Just for the record. An ophthalmologist is an M.D.

I don't know what Ashby is.

Will_m

WKR
I will say shooting a heavy arrow slows my bow enough to a level that I can tune broadheads. Seems like once I get over 280 I end up pulling my hair out. But also, I am unashamedly incompetent in the tuning arts.

I like Steve. I think he’s a great asset for hunting. That said he seemed bored, over his head, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I got the sense that Rinella just didn’t like the guy. Who knows, maybe they just didn’t gel in person, or maybe he thinks it’s all a crock of crap. Either way, he didn’t seem to enjoy it. Maybe he was annoyed that Ashby wouldn’t let him interrupt him like he does to all his other guests! 😂

dtrkyman

WKR
I never understood the gripe about Ashby, he advocates building effective equipment to kill stuff and tested it on animals!

A lot say it is dated, however it is still evolving and based on physics. I have a moderate weighted arrow but have played with everything.

Back in the early 2000s I managed a pro shop, had a customer order a bow for an Elephant hunt, 100lb PSE gorilla, had to build his arrows my self.

Took a cx400 and epoxied it inside a 2315 I believe, 210 grain steel force black death heads standard inserts and 3 5 inch feathers to stabilize the head, never measured foc, not very high for sure but the arrow wound up 1085 grains, I remember that weight for some reason.

Started with the bow at 90lbs and it was crazy quiet and accurate, no idea on speed but it sunk that arrow into a new target deep!!! Was a fun project and I invented the full metal jacket!

Ashby has been around for decades.

Few know he wrote a white paper many years ago claiming high FOC arrows fly further. The physics guys asked for his data proving how He could alter the laws of physics.

It turns out he wasnt Using a bow at all. He was using rubber bands and weghted soda straws to prove his theory. He still uses the demonstration in his seminars which is misleading.

haha... Ashby does have a lot of great info in that dome of his, but i feel like somewhere along the way he drank his own koolaid and it went from a study to a legacy, when that happens with anything, the waters are muddied, it starts to be more agenda driven like Ashby stuff, and turns into too much bias to really take any of it to heart.

the FOC further flying thing is pretty funny, and you still hear the claims. he has a lot of sound theories and info, but he invited the heat he gets by some.