Meateater - Benchmade Boning Knife Meatcrafter

Hondo

WKR
I'm a knife collector, mostly customs and traditionals, and not particularly a fan of Benchmade but I do really like this knife. It reminds me of Phil Wilson (Seamount Knives) South Fork design with a longer blade and even thinner edge and should be an outstanding slicer. His Spyderco collaboration South Fork is $429 although it is CPM S90V steel so $300 does not appear outrageous to me.

For meat processing I use inexpensive Forschner knives as well as some custom S90V knives. Higher end knives are not unlike higher end optics in that you cannot appreciate the difference between them and similarly looking yet lesser ones without experiencing it for yourself.

I don't think this knife will be a great choice for everyone but I would like to add one to my herd at some point.

I thought this knife seemed reasonably priced. It's the Altitide that blows my mind. We only shipped you half the knife, and we only marked it up 25% more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
I find it strange that people on this site draw the line for high end gear at knives. Ultra expensive clothes are cool but knives are stupid? If the handle was in a KUIU/Shitka/firstlite camo pattern maybe Itd be cooler. Before anybody’s panties get bunched up... it’s a joke calm down. No offense meant to anybody and all that Jazz.

You may be joking but it's the truth. If Aron came out with an expensive knife there would be a bunch of people here all over it. If Randy came out with one there would be a bunch of people on his forum all over it. I like those guys so that's not smack intended. It just is what it is. Randy has a rifle only available from SW.

2ski

WKR
I used to think anything over $50 for a knife was to much and then spent sometime on the blade forum to realize I don't know very much about the knife world.

Same for me with flashlights. I thought $50 was expensive for a flashlight when I bought a surefire for $70. Then I went onto a flashlight forum. Thats not expensive.

I guarantee a $300 custom knife is not going to have this high of a quality steel.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

There are some makers out there who haven’t yet gotten the attention they deserve. One is Erickson Knife Works. I don’t know him personally but follow him on Instagram and I’m always blown away by the prices he asks for the quality of the materials and outstanding craftsmanship. Here’s one in M390, which is every bit as high of a quality steel as S45VN, for $305.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a knife nut and have customs for every task. $300 on a knife would be cheap in my world and most of mine are worth at least twice that. Now with that said, no thanks. For 3 bills I’ll pick up a custom with the blade shape, grind, steel, scales, dimensions, liners, mosaic pins, lanyard tube and sheath I choose.
A generic production knife like that is priced out of its optimal range from what I know of knives. Discriminating users need more control over the build and most guys who don’t know what a good knife is don’t want to spend that much money. At a casual glance that knife looks to thick, wrong blade shape, wrong grind, ugly scales and in a steel that doesn’t interest me.

Those of you who don’t think a custom will do anything your $50 production blade won’t should try one. Even a $220 Dozier will outperform your average production blade similar to how a set of Swaro EL’s will outperform a $50 pair of bushnell binos.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m a Benchmade fan so I think it’s prefect awesome but my knives of alaska fillet knives are pretty awesome too and cheaper.

Trial153

WKR
What are your thoughts on the Dozier? I've got a skinning knife of his I really enjoy.

Really impressed this thread staid mostly on the knife itself.

I used to think anything over $50 for a knife was to much and then spent sometime on the blade forum to realize I don't know very much about the knife world.

I'm not rushing out to buy one but if I saw one on the used market I would grab it to test it out.
The Dozier is stiff, you better br wanting almost no flex. I like that in breaking knife as its what i am used to.
Bob has heat treating D2 down to a science. Youd be hard pressed to find a better edge with that durablity.
I have no issue with up keep on D2, i just wipe it and forget it. I dont baby shit. And generally i prefer it to most stainless.

Being fairly new to this forum. I noticed the OP started out by saying not to bash meat eater. I am assuming that normally happens if he posted that. I have to ask why? Is this one of those he sold out kinda things? Do we have the modern day left wing antifa of hunters on here who hate him for making money and being smart? Or did he do something actually illegal and people don't like him for it? Just curious.

EastMT

WKR
Being fairly new to this forum. I noticed the OP started out by saying not to bash meat eater. I am assuming that normally happens if he posted that. I have to ask why? Is this one of those he sold out kinda things? Do we have the modern day left wing antifa of hunters on here who hate him for making money and being smart? Or did he do something actually illegal and people don't like him for it? Just curious.

7890fd8972d3861a4a6294e15df0740b.jpg

This forum tends to mob and bash higher priced gear that becomes popular or mainstream it seems. Plus It’s cool and in vogue to make fun of expensive gear right now online in general.

Post about a nice sako/weatherby and you’ll likely hear about how someone’s tikka/savage/ruger shoots just as well

Post about your rtic/yeti working well and you’ll hear about how their Coleman works just as well

Post about your knife and their thrift store knife works just as well

Who ******* cares

People are way too worried about what others spend their money on IMO

OP
robie

robie

WKR
It's not just this forum but more the internet in general, it's always easier to bash than stay positive.

I wanted to hear from some people who know more about knives and there are several on this forum. This thread was a great example of how things can be.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is different and I'm lucky having learned from a butcher.

If we are talking about processing game at home ill take my Dexters every day, touch them up often with a good Fdick steel and keep going.

In the field then I want the best I can carry because that is a different environment.

16Bore

WKR
This forum tends to mob and bash higher priced gear that becomes popular or mainstream it seems. Plus It’s cool and in vogue to make fun of expensive gear right now online in general.

Post about a nice sako/weatherby and you’ll likely hear about how someone’s tikka/savage/ruger shoots just as well

Post about your rtic/yeti working well and you’ll hear about how their Coleman works just as well

Who ******* cares

Or laugh at those who “think” they are ahead of the game because they dropped a silly amount of coin on something. It sure is “their money” but it’s others wisdom and ability that know better.

You can’t buy a golf swing either.

Pro953

WKR

Who ******* cares

That sir is not “this forum” that is humanity as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
How much shit did anyone give a shit about shit before there was a forum to give a shit about shit?