Meateater - Benchmade Boning Knife Meatcrafter

Bumping this up for anyone interested - looks like Benchmade is doing a more economical production version of this knife in CPM-154...

Does that price drop change anyone's mind?
It's better - Bark river Kalahari Sportsman is CPM-154 with micarta etc and it starts around 200 so coming in under that with a cheaper polymer handle and decent sheath seems close... I think 6 months from now used/street will be around $125-$140 which I think would be good buy at that price.

I only cut up 2 antelope and 1 deer last year with it, but the s45 version did great.

Benchmade makes nice knives and the Dozier knife also looks excellent. I own a Benchmade mini-barrage that I really like. It's my EDC knife and I never go anywhere without it. Benchmade warranties their knives and will take care of the customer. They also provide Life Sharp for those who just aren't very good at sharpening knives.

A good knife with good steel is worth a bit more. I have a couple Ruana (Bonner MT.) knives that I sure like. Nice shape on the blade, great steel, and a stout very functional sheath made of nice heavy leather. They get used a lot hunting and I do not feel that the expense on them was over the top because of the great product which you get from them.

David

Mosby

WKR
I have a couple of Benchmade's and they are great. I like the Steep Country I recently bought. Now that I am retired my days of spending $300 or more on a knife are over but it has more to do with need than cost. I have custom knives, I just don't use them very often. I found that you can get some reasonably priced production knives in quality steel that are easy to sharpen and get the job done. All of my Benchmade's, Cold Steel, Cutco and Knives of Alaska cost under $100. A certain level of quality is important but I think boots and binoculars are the place to go high end. Knives..not so much for me. That said, if you like something, sometimes need has nothing to do with it.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I process 6+ whitetails a year myself with a random spattering of cheap knives. They get the job done but i know when I spent money on a good grinder/slicer/stuffer/sealer that i would see a benefit. Have a hard time seeing the benefit with a high end knife beyond the cool factor.

def90

WKR
I don't think that some of the people complaining on prices in this thread have actually shopped quality knives or know that people pay hundreds of dollars for simple pocket knives.

I get it though, I was a chef in a previous life and I still use the $14 stamped steel bladed plastic handled knives that you buy from the restaurant supply house while other people I know in the chefing world have spent well north of $1000 for a chef knife.

To each their own, the Meateater knife looks like a nice well crafted item with a bit of style built in. I think the price is right when compared to other similar knives on the market. it's for the person that enjoys the look and the feel along with the utility aspect. No different than someone that will spend $80k on a car to drive to work when a $20k car will get you there just the same. Many people simply want utility and thats it.

I don't think that some of the people complaining on prices in this thread have actually shopped quality knives or know that people pay hundreds of dollars for simple pocket knives.

I get it though, I was a chef in a previous life and I still use the $14 stamped steel bladed plastic handled knives that you buy from the restaurant supply house while other people I know in the chefing world have spent well north of $1000 for a chef knife.

To each their own, the Meateater knife looks like a nice well crafted item with a bit of style built in. I think the price is right when compared to other similar knives on the market. it's for the person that enjoys the look and the feel along with the utility aspect. No dicferent than someone tbat will spend $80k on a car to drive to work when a $20k car will get you there just the same. Many people simply want utility and thats it.
100% agree... knives are like watches... a timex pretty much just does what a rolex does... and for most people a timex is all you ever will need/want. I'm not a watch guy... but I am a knife guy and appreciate craftsmanship, action, US made etc... this benchmade cost way less then the knife in my pocket today... do I need expensive knives? No... but it brings me joy and is a fantastic piece of engineering. I'm a collector and not only a knife user so there is value outside of just being a simple tool for me... and yea I get that I'm in the minority lol.

def90

WKR
For me it's Field cast iron pans and Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans, sure you can sear a steak on a lodge cast iron or scramble eggs on a teflon pan from Target but something about the craftsmanship that goes in to some items and the simple tactile feel you get while working with it is a thing. Everybody has their "thing". Life is short, I'm not dissing on anyone for enjoying their thing, everyone needs a "thing".

pdk25

FNG
I would love to have one, but I have too many knives already to spend that much on a new one.

Muddygut

FNG
I’m a Benchmade fan. Used to be a dealer. Have one of their older skinners in D2 and a Bushcrafter in s-30v that I like and a handful of the folders in various steel. But I just can’t make myself pay that much for a boning/breaking knife right now. I’ve came close. My son almost bought me one for Father’s Day last year but they were sold out at the time. I’ll just keep using a heavy filet knife for now.