Meateater buys FHF

Interesting to see what the long term play is here. I’m guessing Stone Glacier is next? I’m curious what the plan/vision is for meateater in general.

Edited to add:

"The company will remain independently run by husband-and-wife team Paul and Jennifer Lewis."

"By joining forces with MeatEater, the team at FHF Gear will have the time and resources necessary to continue with development of new gear while refining old favorites and further strengthening the foundation that FHF was built on"

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
Most businesses, generally speaking are in business to make money. Shocking, I know. Once a certain scale is reached it is easier to grow through M&A than organically. But feel free to get out the aluminum origami.

tdhanses

WKR
He does own First Lite. First Lite quit licensing ASAT years ago. Which is why I would like them to purchase the brand so they could make new FL clothes with ASAT pattern.
Why when their own camo has become more popular? I don’t see the reason to invest for a few fans and I have asat stuff still.

I just wish he would write good books again. He had a good start with scavengers and American Buffalo, but lost me at meateater and the instructional books.

i got enough hunting shit, butgood books are always welcome.

I agree so much with this. I've ready everything he's written, and his early stuff is so good. He has a lot of talent there. I think the problem is that he's past his prime as an adventurer. His experiences now are more curated, money-whipped, guided/hosted kinds of trips, and his books had a lot of raw, DIY, "I might die doing this" kinds of stories that were really interesting and inspiring. There are a finite number of those kinds of stories for all of us and I think Steve has run out. So cookbooks it is.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Schnee's or Stone Glacier next? Good for them, they could have cheaped out and sold their stuff at Wal-Mart like Bone Collector. I'm glad they're acquiring and furthering great brands. I'm excited to see whats next!

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I agree so much with this. I've ready everything he's written, and his early stuff is so good. He has a lot of talent there. I think the problem is that he's past his prime as an adventurer. His experiences now are more curated, money-whipped, guided/hosted kinds of trips, and his books had a lot of raw, DIY, "I might die doing this" kinds of stories that were really interesting and inspiring. There are a finite number of those kinds of stories for all of us and I think Steve has run out. So cookbooks it is.

I agree 100%, but I'm happy for him that he doesn't have to do that anymore.

Mt Al

WKR
Very happy for Paul Lewis, he's a genuine great guy, hope he does well in the long run.

Now the made in USA/Montana vs. overseas thang - we'll see what direction they go.

If they don't have it already, a food/snack/energy drink line? Mountain Fitness? Beer/wine/spirits but I think they already bought one of those. Could be Schnees for the footwear tech packs/supply chain and a deal with the retail space in Bozo. My ability to predict what the future holds is dismal!

Happy for them and their success and hope they keep rolling.

Rrobason

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully they do stay USA made...
I was really hoping that first lite would start sowing here in the states... would make it way sweeter!

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Now that they have the Meatcrafter with Benchmade, and the fancy dancy shooting iron with Weatherby, I'm wondering if they will partner with Vortex for a MeatEater game spotting bino, complete with an FHF harness?

grfox92

WKR
He does own First Lite. First Lite quit licensing ASAT years ago. Which is why I would like them to purchase the brand so they could make new FL clothes with ASAT pattern.
Rinella owns first lite? Since when?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Rinella owns first lite? Since when?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MeatEater, inc owns First Lite but Rinella doesn't own MeatEater, inc. Rinella founded MeatEater, inc but the majority shareholder now is an investment firm, the Chernin Group.

I've been a big supporter of Rinella but stamping MeatEater on everything they can get paid for feels like Duck Dynasty 2.0 and they have really diluted their brand.

FHF seems like the type of brand you want to root for although I was not a fan of the harness I had from them. Hopefully they keep manufacturing in the US. I wouldn't have guessed FHF as a company that would fit the type of growth potential aligned with the new MeatEater ways.

Wouldn't blame the guys at SG for selling if the right offer comes their way but would be sad to see these top notch boutique gear companies get compromised by investment firm ownership.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
I've been a big supporter of Rinella but stamping MeatEater on everything they can get paid for feels like Duck Dynasty 2.0 and they have really diluted their brand.

I absolutely agree. The branded stuff makes it feel cheap.

I also strongly agree with @fightthenoie about how Rinella's peak adventuring is behind him. With that in mind, why would I buy shit designed by a guy whose experiences are curated/catered more and more each year.

I hope SG remains independent. Kurt Racicot is still a badass, and I want him designing my future packs, not a Meateater think tank. SG has proven they have the capital to expand into the retail environment with their full line now available at Scheels. Hopefully they have their supply chain dialed enough to keep up production with the inevitable growth in demand.