MeatEater & Iron Will (Bill) Podcast Episode

msmith@ironwilloutfitters

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Guys — Bill was just on the Meateater podcast talking about the physics of broadheads penetration. On the podcast, he also refutes the need for a 3 to 1 length to width ratio and discusses mass vs. speed from a scientific viewpoint. Give it a listen, and let us know your questions here.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.16.10 PM.pngLink To Episode

IMG_4884.jpg

LostArra

WKR
Terrific job by Bill in this episode. Great explanations without evangelizing or marketing. In fact, it's hard to tell Bill is selling the broadheads until the end.

Rinella was a little "over his waders" as he usually is with archery. He probably should let Janis run with the archery episodes.

I think Bill did a great job at refuting the Ashby claims without being a "nana nana boo boo" a$$hole about it. He refrained from name calling and presented facts and certainly didn't say an Ashby approved arrow wouldn't work. He just refuted the fact that an Ashby approved arrow is the best way to kill animals

3forks

WKR
Terrific job by Bill in this episode. Great explanations without evangelizing or marketing. In fact, it's hard to tell Bill is selling the broadheads until the end.

Rinella was a little "over his waders" as he usually is with archery. He probably should let Janis run with the archery episodes.
Anytime I see Rinella shooting his bow:

Attachments

• 8837B836-124C-47C0-9BA6-AC8EB163AE8A.jpeg
    8837B836-124C-47C0-9BA6-AC8EB163AE8A.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 56

JoeDirt

WKR
I shoot Bills stuff.

I have a broadhead of each that I practice with. These have been shot into more dirt and rocks than I can count, still usable (after a sharpen)

wa_archer

FNG
started to listen then decided save the rest for the long drive to hunting.

Steve does not come to thinking of math and physics from the standard of someone that understands math and physics. He has argued like many things over these topics at length on multiple episodes only to finally understand what everyone else already understands. Although the way they talked about acceleration being infinite at first was slightly wrong. The arrow is only going to go up to the speed of the force applied then it will hit a static speed. if additional force is applied for long enough it will increase but that doesn't happen with a bow.

I felt Bill was trying to simplify physics for the podcast and basic listener then Steve had to start arguing so they had to delve deeper into the exact meaning. It has been very informative so far and i really liked the explanation of draw length, force for speed. in regards to that relationship to finding a proper weight arrow setup for your specific set up. I look forward to the rest of it.

JStol5

WKR
I appreciate how bill takes incredibly complex concepts and breaks them down in a very understandable way.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Bill was also on the East Meets West podcast recently. To me that one was way less of a waste of time than the Meateater episode. Anymore Meateater podcast is more just entertainment than actual information honestly.

JStol5

WKR
Bill was also on the East Meets West podcast recently. To me that one was way less of a waste of time than the Meateater episode. Anymore Meateater podcast is more just entertainment than actual information honestly.
And ads for Policygenius…

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Was a little rough getting through the “80 inch draw length” part though

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Was a little rough getting through the “80 inch draw length” part though

Yep. How much time did Steve waste by arguing that a longer draw length doesn't increase speed?

The someone else said target bows are longer axle to axle because that make the draw length longer and increases arrow speed...

I don't know how you guys listen to it.

I barely got through his ad for SeaFoam. Then the random bullshitting started and that was all I could take.

I feel like Steve would have gotten it quicker if they had used his car analogy and corrected his theory. Yes, if you're driving at 30mph it doesn't matter how far you go (draw length), the velocity is the same and the force to stop is the same. But if you accelerate for two miles vs one mile, your velocity is different and the force needed to stop is greater. Confusing velocity and acceleration there...