Meateater is Woke

Now you’re on to something....just replace booze with IPA and you’ve got the nail on the head.

A couple posts correctly identify the headline as clickbait. So that’s where we are; meateater has become a social media/ internet platform for the purposes of sustaining itself under the guise of forwarding hunting into the new millennium using the same tactics used to sell hand cream, clothes, and booze.

Poser

WKR
A couple posts correctly identify the headline as clickbait. So that’s where we are; meateater has become a social media/ internet platform for the purposes of sustaining itself under the guise of forwarding hunting into the new millennium using the same tactics used to sell hand cream, clothes, and booze.

And yet you still feel compelled to comment so it was successful in its goal of creating discussion and counterpoint to further brand awareness. And for every response you make further in this thread, you will only contribute to the further success of the brand identity.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
And yet you still feel compelled to comment so it was successful in its goal of creating discussion and counterpoint to further brand awareness. And for every response you make further in this thread, you will only contribute to the further success of the brand identity.

You think I’m unaware of this? I feel compelled to comment on things that I think are not particularly helpful to the “cause” of hunting, and since meateater has taken on the mantle of speaking FOR hunters (me) on a grand scale, I feel it’s necessary to comment when appropriate. Should I just stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist?

A good rule of thumb - the answer to any click-baity headline title that is stated as is question is NO. Didn't click, didn't read. I did check to make sure the author of the article was not Ben "nuanced to the point of no opinion" Obrien.

The picture at the top of the article did make me laugh - a group of 7 goofy white guys dressed in thousands of dollars of camo and gear huddled over a little buck. Kind of silly if you think about it. I predict meateater will hire a "non-white" person in the near future to start posting social media crap about "minorities in hunting".

The reductive part of this article is that trying to make a 1:1% representation of population/participants assumes ALL OTHER FACTORS ARE EQUAL! Including, the MOST important one: PREFERENCE! This is absolutely silly, and to claim there is a 'problem' in any way because of the disparity ignores the vast majority of input factors.

This is right. Same comparison as having equal representation of women in certain fields. Do we want 50% of our fire fighters to be women because "equality"? Hell no, people would die because the average woman cannot pick up the average man off of the ground.

A fixed effect here is location. A lot of non-white people live in places where hunting sucks - California, New York, South Florida. It's not likely that a culture will develop in these ares where hunting will be passed on because it's not a local tradition. Hunters always have been and always will be a minority to people in large cities. If the majority turns on hunters and decides it goes away - it goes away. Doesn't matter what "color distribution" we have participating.

Last edited:
Color barriers exist in many sports....NASCAR, rodeo, NHL, cycling ( the Tour de France only had its first black participant 5 years ago), golf (yep, Woods, but who else?), tennis (last black man to win a Grand Slam event was Ashe in 1975), pro climbing, etc. etc. etc.....
.....and articles have been written about diversity or the lack of it among all these sports in their respective journals and media outlets.....and I don't really feel Rinella is doing anything different here, simply describing a phenomenon.....nothing to get triggered about. As usual.

Oregon

WKR
I’m going to fix this “problem”. My state is a perfect place to run the trial test.
You will receive 2 pref points to your species of choice for every “minority” you mentor hunting.
If you mentor 20, you get a bighorn sheep tag.
If said “minority” lives in a city like Portland or Eugene you get double points.
The person being mentored starts out with “adversity” points. They automatically get 5 points for all species. The state will hold a class in 6 different languages on how to navigate the complex regulations of how to apply as a party leader.
I’m calling the Gov tomorrow. She’ll be 100% onboard with this.

I try to be objective when reading the article and associated posts here.
The title clearly implies and invites the perception of a possible problem.
I think the author tries to hedge (covering his azz) his implication by creating a
Reason why we should care by stating that we are loosing hunters and need to consider recruiting minorities to fill the ranks. Frankly I am growing tired of being lectured and having this racism crap thrown in my face. I have supported and watched Meateater over the years but I think Im going to take a harder look at them boys.

My favorite part about this is clearly the comments... the reading comprehension skills and the ability to see the statistics and come up with a completely inaccurate assessment of them is pretty funny.

Yes we get it there are areas where a few hundred Mexicans hunt... the other 36 million don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Color barriers exist in many sports....NASCAR, rodeo, NHL, cycling ( the Tour de France only had its first black participant 5 years ago), golf (yep, Woods, but who else?), tennis (last black man to win a Grand Slam event was Ashe in 1975), pro climbing, etc. etc. etc.....
.....and articles have been written about diversity or the lack of it among all these sports in their respective journals and media outlets.....and I don't really feel Rinella is doing anything different here, simply describing a phenomenon.....nothing to get triggered about. As usual.

Barrier or choice? There are other AA in golf as well as many different Asian, S American, and European countries represented. Rodeo has a bunch of guys from S. America. Tennis has the Williams sisters and some others. NBA is ~ 75% AA and the NFL nearly 80%. Don't follow the other stuff. Unfortunately when people speak of diversity they generally mean AA while lumping all other races together as "white." The bolded is dead on.

So an article that points out the obvious, awesome my favorite! What are we supposed to do about it? Have guilt about ourselves enjoying something that other people don't enjoy? Drag our black, Mexican, Asian friends into a place they don't won't to be and force them to hunt, hike, and camp?

FLAK

WKR

Understood, Comprehended and fully Agree with BaxterB.
Is it an actual problem that there aren't enough Bros and Homies hunting? SMH.

IF you fellas believe that minority's living in rural America don't hunt at near the rate of white men, I'd venture to guess the reason why is many of you don't live in rural areas of America that contain minorities.

Jbehredt

WKR
These city people that come up with this stuff don't get out enough. Take an area like the San Luis Valley in Colorado which is a very strong majority of hispanics, and most the families in that valley hunt. And their families have hunted for generations past, longer than most people's ancestors have even been in the U.S.

So do they want to force the people of color that live in the large cities out in the woods so they can get better diversity percentages in the rural areas of America?

Man, one sure wouldn't know this statistic by watching TV, the news, or any other media outlet.

My brown friends in the San Luis valley, and all of their Hispanic relatives were the first thing I thought of. If you live where people hunt.....you’re more likely to hunt.

lif

WKR
Whether the article is garbage or informative, it is always good to get discussion about these topics. I tend to agree a little with most posts on this thread. Hearing different views from different areas of the country is a more accurate assessment of the situation than bullshit polls. I have hunted with or around many Mexican Americans and many Asian Americans. I don’t think for one second that most minorites feel kept out of the hunting world. It is clearly a choice. The percentage of hunters goes up in more rural areas and goes down in urban areas. Despite our race!!

How many LGBT African American females does Rinella have on his staff?

Time to
Pen an editorial

This might be my chance to make it in life......

I could self-identify as an African-American female LGTBQ and get hired on at meatbeater as a "Director of LTGBQ African American Minority Hunting Ambassador" and be the highest paid bloviator on staff. Bozeman here I come.

cmahoney

WKR
This might be my chance to make it in life......

I could self-identify as an African-American female LGTBQ and get hired on at meatbeater as a "Director of LTGBQ African American Minority Hunting Ambassador" and be the highest paid bloviator on staff. Bozeman here I come.

Sorry dude, I think Charles Post took that spot when Sitka kicked him loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk