Meateater is Woke

Those with decent memories will remember articles in the not-too-distant past about the new “wave” of female hunters, the “rise” of the hipster hunters, and the up and coming “food to table” hunters. Most articles at some level pointed to these shifts as ADDING to the hunting population. So what happened? Flash in the pan? Short attention span?

Retention is as big a problem as getting anyone started, so while we talk about recruitment, maybe the real conversation should be retention. Why do folks stop hunting? You’ll get a better understanding than “why doesn’t this (pick your demographic) hunt?” The real question is “Why did a guy from the largest and typically most representative demographic of hunters quit?”

That’s easy. The average hunter is in his fifties and usually quits because of health issues or the lack of others that want to go. As far as recruitment and retention video games and social media are major detriments to this lifestyle. The “smartphone” has dumbed us down. We all have ADD because of the instantaneous information overload. It takes a serious effort to disconnect from this technology. Then you have the single mom household who is probably not about to take their kid hunting or the two working parents who to make ends meet can’t take the time off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Where did you pull those stats?

Smartphones haven’t dumbed anyone “down”, what they’ve done is given a google-fu express route to those who grew up thinking they should get a trophy without putting in the effort. Everyone is deserving and special.

Funny, last fall I built a blind for a single mom so she could take her son. Didn’t even get my first cup of coffee down before I was back the next morning over a steaming gutpile.

But then there’s church, work, sports, maintaining a household, family, vacation, etc, etc...you know, the other 50 weeks of the year.

There’s quite a lot of shit to do in this world and it all doesn’t revolve around hunting.

I liked meateater a lot more back in 2012 when I started watching the show on sportsman channel. He sold out to a billionaire liberal and a few months later the SJW starts to trickle in. I wonder what they'll do in 2 months from now that we'll be talking about.

Gobbler36

WKR
Sure hunters are declining, but the one question nobody has been able to answer for me is “How many hunters do we need or want?” We are experiencing a rapid loss but that comes on the backside of an all-time record caused by the baby boomer generation. Should we be happy with a check back to the average? Is it realistic to try and maintain the record high? Hard questions to answer.

This is a great point
I personally feel a fall back to the average is a good thing for hunting

between game of thrones and meateater what would you guys say is the bigger disappointment?

Edit: kifarucast, you can say that one too if you like. So of the 3 how would you rank them on how well they started how would you rank them now and then which one would you say has remained the most stable from a quality standpoint- like maybe even if it didn’t start out as good- it’s better now than the other two, so overall it’s trended bette?and of the 3 which one would say is the most disappointing

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
between game of thrones and meateater what would you guys say is the bigger disappointment?

Edit: kifarucast, you can say that one too if you like. So of the 3 how would you rank them on how well they started how would you rank them now and then which one would you say has remained the most stable from a quality standpoint- like maybe even if it didn’t start out as good- it’s better now than the other two, so overall it’s trended bette?and of the 3 which one would say is the most disappointing

Of the 3 have only watched MEateater. I keep tabs on them because I want them to be good. I think the sudden success has given them the idea where they are headed is the right direction, but I think it’s getting away from the “purity of the challenge” if you get my drift...

Im just generally ribbing about how we spend the offseason. It’s the off-season. It’s all a disappointment at some level.

Dude lost me when he started huckin random items like computers and life insurance.

When I was going into vet school all you heard from the Universities was about the huge shortage of large animal vets. Got a lot of kids into tuition payers but mysteriously graduation time there's not many jobs.

Jcannon06

FNG
The obsession with skin color arguments in this country are getting out of hand. Click bait article title or not. Hunting isn't easy, it is a lifestyle and a lifelong pursuit. Some cultures value hunting/outdoors and some don't. Regardless, at some point you reach a point of diminishing return with getting "as many people as possible" into the hunting woods. There isn't enough public land in this country to accommodate a hundred million hunters. Our public lands need to be protected, and public awareness helps with this. But the idea that hunting culture is a dying breed...I don't believe it. With social media, YouTube, and celebrities like Joe Rogan getting into hunting, hunting culture is doing fine.