Meateater Meatcrafter Knife arrived today - Nice!

A little more flexible than I anticipated, which I really like. Handle is thin and easy to hold, and super grippy due to material and surface texture. S45VN steel is very tough, hard, and corrosion resistant. Will carve up some hind quarters when I get them thawed.
20200616_201731.jpg20200616_201502.jpg20200616_201611.jpg

Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
How’s the sheath? It’s not a big deal because I doubt many people will be packing them but Benchmade is known for nice knives and terrible sheaths! Wondering if in the development with Rinella they addressed it.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Corrosion resistant? Looks likes it's already corroded! The finish on that blade looks piss poor for a $300 knife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
Still trying to justify how this knife is $300. I don't feel the majority of Rinella's crowd base can justify spending $300 on a knife. I'm sure it's a great knife regardless........

22lr

WKR
Dang, it sure looks good! Let us know how it does on those quarters.

OP
Mike Islander
How’s the sheath? It’s not a big deal because I doubt many people will be packing them but Benchmade is known for nice knives and terrible sheaths! Wondering if in the development with Rinella they addressed it.
The sheath is excellent. Knife locks in place but easy to pop out or in. Textured Kydex. However, no belt loop. Would strictly be an in-pack carry.

Last edited:
OP
Mike Islander
Corrosion resistant? Looks likes it's already corroded! The finish on that blade looks piss poor for a $300 knife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There is no corrosion. It is shiny as new penny. That's the lighting, 100%. I increased saturation to show textures and contours, and that exaggerates contrast.

OP
Mike Islander
Still trying to justify how this knife is $300. I don't feel the majority of Rinella's crowd base can justify spending $300 on a knife. I'm sure it's a great knife regardless........

This knife is made with excellent steel and is a signature series Benchmade. Price is about average for this type of Benchmade. Heck, most Benchmades are more expensive than many of Rinella's fans can justify.

Pretty sure my $15 F. Dick Boning Knife will work almost as well. But I'm at an age where I can afford cool stuff, and this knife probably will be handed down to my kids one day. I like the way the knife looks. I like the way it feels and the materials used to make it. I like Benchmade and Meateater. And I can afford useful expensive toys. So I think guys like me are the intended customers. 😁

Last edited:

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I have been SERIOUSLY considering one of these. I’m curious in the resharpening. My work sharp does a 20* edge and this knife has a “unique” 14* or something like that??? Are you supposed to send it in every season for sharpening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the looks of this knife. I have a custom hunting knife and inquired about having a knife similar to this made last year and was quoted $550, so when the budget allows I'll be picking one of these up!

OP
Mike Islander
I have been SERIOUSLY considering one of these. I’m curious in the resharpening. My work sharp does a 20* edge and this knife has a “unique” 14* or something like that??? Are you supposed to send it in every season for sharpening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Ken Onion version of the Work Sharp. It has a 15 degree sharpening angle. However, 20 degrees is still extremely usable for boning, and gives you a little more durability. Many custom kitchen knives use 15 - 20 degree edges. Reprofiling with the Work Sharp is easy. I learned this the hard way with my first use of the Work Sharp. I misunderstood the edge angle dial gauge and reprofiled a Bugout to 30 degrees, and then back to 17 degrees! Doh! :giggle:

OP
Mike Islander
MeatCrafter made short work of a venison quarter (from my first buck that I got last October). Very nice knife. Excellent performance. Also damn sharp point that I need to get used to! Ouch!

On right side top toward bottom it's Eye of Round, Bottom Round, and Top Round. Cleaned everything up after this photo and then made some bottom round jerky following the Wolverine recipe. First time making jerky. Best I ever had. Those are meat fibers, not hair, in the close up photos. Even my wife, whose not a big fan of venison, said the jerky is better than anything she ever bought at the store.

20200811_134434.jpg

20200811_141900.jpg

20200813_114620.jpg20200813_114700.jpg

Last edited:
I really like mine as well. I don’t think the sheath is as good as the knife itself, with the shape of the knife it wants to grab the top of the sheath and not insert correctly sometimes.

Overall very happy with it. A good boner is priceless

OP
Mike Islander
I really like mine as well. I don’t think the sheath is as good as the knife itself, with the shape of the knife it wants to grab the top of the sheath and not insert correctly sometimes.

Yes, I'm thinking this is a knife to keep in the kitchen, preferably on one of those wall magnet keepers so you can gaze at it when you aren't using it.

I took a really good look at the sheath after I got the knife slightly sideways in it once. Haven't had the problem since.

The knife handles so well, and the way it looks is just a nice bonus.

OP
Mike Islander
I really like the looks of this knife. I have a custom hunting knife and inquired about having a knife similar to this made last year and was quoted $550, so when the budget allows I'll be picking one of these up!

You can send it back for full factory service and sharpening whenever you want, as many times as you want. I have a Work Sharp system, so I will be sharpening my own...if it ever gets dull. So far it hasn't happened. :giggle:

Will_m

WKR

Can’t beat a good boner. Especially at the age when one can afford a $300 knife.