Meateater Season 10 thoughts?

You are correct and holy crap, they want $220 for it.
I brought this setup to Alaska. It’s way too heavy for a pack-in type setup in my opinion. Thing is extremely stout though so if you don’t mind the extra weight you can probably shoot a mile off it

Lowg08

WKR
I myself enjoyed all of the episodes. I’m not sure which was my favorite. I am particularly fond of mules and fiest dogs though. I enjoyed them cooking and eating a raccoon.

Especially the Chewbacco podcast episode.
Haven't heard that one, but I didn't realize how long the ME podcasts were until I started one while in the garage, and changed out both front axle shaft u-joints on my Jeep and the podcast still had about 5 minutes left.

JayDK

FNG
The small game episodes don't really grab my attention. The thought of going to so much effort for such a small return doesn't appeal to me.

Anyone else noticed that there have been a lot more misses since they started shooting the new Weatherby rifles? Even the meateater hunts series shows a ton more misses. I like the reality but that can’t be great marketing for the sponsor.
They’ve never been incredible marksmen. I’m actually impressed that Steve recently posted on social about getting an ar trainer to improve his shooting.

Though I’m sure that CCR helped. I miss that rifle

Craw3773

FNG
I've been really suspicious that some of their misses were scopes losing zero or not tracking. I agree on it not being great marketing for the sponsor. But I have no facts to base that on.

I don’t watch many of the shows themselves, but will occasionally listen to a podcast if the topic or guest interests me.

Because I haven’t seen many of the shows, I haven‘t seen the issues being discussed about Weatherby rifles. But, I do know someone who is a component of the show.

I will say that the person I know has over time has developed an expertise that has allowed themselves to be considered an authority and regular on the show. However, without giving too many specifics, I can say that this person hasn’t been an “expert” in hunting/fishing for long, and many people (and especially those on this forum) would have decades more experience than the person I know.

Essentially, the person I’m referring to got started in hunting/fishing later in life and only had marginal skills at both. This person eventually progressed, but isn’t someone I’d consider particularly adept or skilled even now. And, more specifically, gained their skills by being provided with a mentor and opportunities that a lot of regular sportsman would never have access to.

To make these statements relevant to the discussion of Weatherby rifles, I would give benefit of the doubt to Weatherby on accuracy issues because the person I know isn’t an accomplished shooter. In terms of fishing, I’m not even sure they can double haul cast, but they are considered an authority.

In short, I think the Meat Eater crew are probably not a whole lot more accomplished than a lot of hunters / anglers out there, but because they have created a brand for themselves - they’ve begun to be seen as experts. Based on what I know, in my opinion, you may be able to put a Weatherby rifle in the hands of someone on this forum, and they may be able to make the shot a Meat Eater guy missed.

I don’t want to sound overly critical of the show or the crew because they’ve never come across as elitist to me or even sounded like they are boasting about the opportunities they’ve created for themselves. Regardless of what age someone picks something up and their natural aptitude for it, what really matters is the effort they put into It. From what I can tell, the Meat Eater guys all seem passionate, and I don’t begrudge them for their success.

A friend had one of these rifles in 300 WM. It was fairly accurate, but extremely tough to shoot. Not forgiving at all. Of course, lightweight rifles are tougher to shoot, but when he sold it and bought a mesa, his misses disappeared

Lowg08

WKR
I’ll be honest I like the fact they show the misses. It introduces a reality to hunting rather than every “ smoked’m” tv celebrity on their ranch.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
While he does wear his logo's prominently, I really appreciate not having the hear how the new " Buck whacker 2000 really smoked that deer with the Kabang bullet and the new Slice Ur artery knife made easy work of cutting it up, oh and thanks to Wash That Stank Away body spray for taking care of my swamp ass".

IvanRusty

FNG
I liked the season as well but I do have to admit I gravitate a bit more towards the big game episodes.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with most the best episode of the bunch was the Mt Goat. I’ve personally felt the last few seasons have paled in comparison to his original content and each season seems to get fewer episodes that I personally enjoy. Wish he’d go back to the hunts he used to do. Feel like most them now are featuring some famous person or someone else rather than being about the hunt and Steve’s personal experience...