Meateater season 9

semasko

FNG
I thought the season was great, like all of the others. I haven't had many issues with the VHX player the past 5 years on my laptop (Google Chrome, Chromecast) FWIW.

What I like about the show is the variation. Its not just that they hunt different animals from one episode to the next, but show different aspects of similar hunts done in different styles, seasons, or cultures. I love Jim Shockey's Uncharted, but its pretty repetitive and formulaic in contrast to Meateater, which is a shame considering the unique places he hunts.

Netflix portrayed the show as "trending", unless its just my personal subscriber algorithm. I think the new season was a great way for non or would-be hunters to view three different ways to hunt, and probably done this way on purpose. Rinella may be aging and curious about different hunts, or maybe he wants to show that its OK to not know what you're doing and hire a guide as a beginner. The Nilgai hunt differed from the typical show because he portrayed it honestly and without pretention. Some may see it as "pandering" or whatever, but I just see it as the same thing he's always done which is explore various ways to market hunting to a broader audience.

I watched all the episodes of the show and listened to nearly all podcast episodes. He never appears to jeopardize his integrity, and often ponders out loud his thought processes regarding a wide number of hunting related issues. His passion for hunting and driving hunter recruitment for future generations seems obvious to me, and that's probably why he's so successful. Its refreshing to see someone with a lot of humility and authenticity as a mainstream face for hunting.

Can you elaborate?

I'm guessing he's talking about the Trump Jr. interview.

OP
Desk Jockey
I thought the season was great, like all of the others. I haven't had many issues with the VHX player the past 5 years on my laptop (Google Chrome, Chromecast) FWIW.

that VHX player seems to glitch almost every time I try to watch it on my iPad. It usually requires that I have WiFi access to fix it. 720p video quality and Not being able to watch on my tv without jumping through hoops and streaming from a device to my tv sucks too.

I get it, rinella probably went that route because he doesn’t want to pay Apple 30% to be on iTunes. However, I paid over $100 for several of the seasons and the product is much less user friendly IMO. I may not be aware of its success, but I don’t see a big VHX presence elsewhere and it will piss me off even more if this platform goes away and I can’t watch my shows.

ODB

WKR
that VHX player seems to glitch almost every time I try to watch it on my iPad. It usually requires that I have WiFi access to fix it. 720p video quality and Not being able to watch on my tv without jumping through hoops and streaming from a device to my tv sucks too.

I get it, rinella probably went that route because he doesn’t want to pay Apple 30% to be on iTunes. However, I paid over $100 for several of the seasons and the product is much less user friendly IMO. I may not be aware of its success, but I don’t see a big VHX presence elsewhere and it will piss me off even more if this platform goes away and I can’t watch my shows.

you can download the videos from VHX - at least I know I have - unless they changed rhat.

Mt Al

WKR
I thought the MeatEater episode , Walking the clouds, was very good. He didn’t get a sheep but was very wistful about not being able to hunt in country like that forever. The musical score fit the episode quite well.

Haven't watch it yet, hopefully today.

Is it just me or is the new season's background music better, harder edge here and there, soulful when needed? Enjoying it so far, licking wounds from an unsuccessful antelope hunt.

OP
Desk Jockey
you can download the videos from VHX - at least I know I have - unless they changed rhat.

and play them in their player, right?

my issue is I will log in and the videos I downloaded aren’t there. Or it will say click here to verify your account and access your shit, which isn’t a problem unless you are someplace without reception or WiFi. Or when it glitches out and shuts down altogether.

between the low quality video and glitchy app, the VHX videos is one thing about the Meateater that makes me cranky. Dropping that much $$ and having to put up with a 2nd rate player app sucks balls.

DMurphy

FNG
I have become a MeatEater fanboy. I listen to all of the podcasts, watch all of the shows and have read several of the recommended books, I love how the tv show isn't all "grab and grin". There are many "unsuccessful" hunts that seem to be anything but unsuccessful when viewed in the proper context. My wife, who supports my hunting because she loves me not because she loves it, now watches the shows with me. The topis of conversation on the show and podcast are also great fodder for important conservation and hunting ethics discussions with my teenaged kids.

ODB

WKR

my issue is I will log in and the videos I downloaded aren’t there. Or it will say click here to verify your account and access your shit, which isn’t a problem unless you are someplace without reception or WiFi. Or when it glitches out and shuts down altogether.

between the low quality video and glitchy app, the VHX videos is one thing about the Meateater that makes me cranky. Dropping that much $$ and having to put up with a 2nd rate player app sucks balls.
I mean download them and view them offline in QuickTime I’ll have to see how I did that because I know I did. Hmmm

ChrisAU

WKR
Subscribe to My Outdoor TV through Amazon Prime and all non-Netflix seasons are on there easily watchable from any Fire TV device btw.

Edit: As well as all Jim Shockey shows and a lot of other stuff. Randy Newbergs stuff is free through Amazon Prime too.

ODB

WKR

This is what I see... I just downloaded one for a test. It does not need to play within VHX

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 10.06.36 PM.png

A girl that I work with, who was a vegetarian, started watching Meat eater. She got into because she heard me talk about it at work and was curious. She is fascinated by the show and is no longer a vegetarian. She is not and will never be a hunter, but thinks the show is one of the coolest things she has ever seen and she told me, that she now understands why people hunt.

That, right there, speaks volumes about the show and Rinella.