Meateater selling sig sauer optics

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Vortex scopes and to be quite honest, it’s their older models. No issues so far, the glass is good and they hold zero. I’ve haven’t been impressed with Sig’s scopes so far, maybe they’ll up their game now. Either way, the Meateater crew won’t be influencing me.

ODB

WKR
I just picture Steve, the marketing folks hand him the script, he’s like “chew? Seriously? Aww hell with it.” [/cashes check]

Funny - he just posted this - I edited some out and bolded:

I bought an out-of-box Ruger 10/22 for plinking with my kids. It grouped like hell, so I started asking around about 10/22 doctors ... My research led me to TacSol .... Long story short, I ended up giving the 10/22 away and got my hands on a TacSol X-Ring .22 instead. It’s based off the 10/22 but pretty much built from the ground up with precision and custom parts. It’s an absolute tack driver. It shoots groups the size of your pinky nail at 40 yards. ...I’m a big fan of CZ rimfires and I’ve been squirrel and rabbit hunting with one for years. But I’m officially switching over to this X-ring for small game hunting from here on out. Not quite ready to give away my CZs, but they’ll maybe end up in the MeatEater Auction House of Oddities.

Cha-ching!

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
It is interesting as a hunting show, there just aren't many good ones out there and it gets the mood going between hunting trips. But like anything else, do your own research for the products you spend your money on.

grfox92

WKR
I don't recall Rinella stating anything is the best? He just promotes what he uses. And he used Vortex for a long time, he doesn't seem to just jump brands constantly.
I just roll my eyes every time these MeatEater threads pop up. People say all sorts of things about Rinella and MeatEater that simply have no sustenance.

They don't "push" product. I've never heard them say "I couldn't have done it without my Vortex" They don't even claim anything is the best.

They don't jump from brand to brand every year either.

I say the same thing every time these threads come up, MeatEater is free content. They don't charge for any of the media they produce. They continue to release all of the TV show episodes to watch for free on YouTube, and have launched several YouTube exclusive series, all for free to the consumer.

How would they ever pay to produce any of that content, employ a company with 100+ people, without getting paid to advertise hunting related product? Is there another way for them to generate income to make a profitable business that produces free content without paid advertising? All of the smack talking is just silly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I say the same thing every time these threads come up, MeatEater is free content. They don't charge for any of the media they produce.

They used to. You either had sportsmans channel (cable TV) or bought the DVDs and books like I did. It was a much better show back then. Fresh, different, simple, but a good representation of what the average guy could do if he put his mind to it.

Not so much these days...

They sell the old seasons, at least as far as I’m aware. Whatever it’s America. They don’t really jump from brand to brand. But I’m still not buying it because they tell me to, probably the opposite.

grfox92

WKR
They sell the old seasons, at least as far as I’m aware. Whatever it’s America. They don’t really jump from brand to brand. But I’m still not buying it because they tell me to, probably the opposite.
I agree. I'm a big fan of MeatEater. I don't own a single product that they sell. Not a t-shirt not a hat.

dtrkyman

WKR
I can't think of anything they use or sell that I own, not that I wouldn't buy it I just haven't. I enjoy most of their stuff and have learned a fair amount from it over the years!

Kurts86

WKR
The last time I watched cable outdoor television (not MeatEater) a guy was on a guided fly in moose hunt in the Alaska backcountry and he had an Ozonics Scent Neutralizer strapped to his backpack. That’s the definition of selling out for hunting media. Switching between aggressively marketed, mid range optics manufacturers once a decade is not selling out in my book.

I like MeatEater content a lot and think they are the most positive thing to happen in hunting media in a generation but their gear choices don’t influence mine either.

If anyone should be mad at a MeatEater partnership choice they should be mad about Taurus pistols.

grfox92

WKR
The last time I watched cable outdoor television (not MeatEater) a guy was on a guided fly in moose hunt in the Alaska backcountry and he had an Ozonics Scent Neutralizer strapped to his backpack. That’s the definition of selling out for hunting media. Switching between aggressively marketed, mid range optics manufacturers once a decade is not selling out in my book.

I like MeatEater content a lot and think they are the most positive thing to happen in hunting media in a generation but their gear choices don’t influence mine either.

If anyone should be mad at a MeatEater partnership choice they should be mad about Taurus pistols.

Is MeatEater partnered with Taurus?

On a side note. I'm well aware of Taurus' reputation from years of disastrous failures in terms of pistols. However starting with their G3C and newer hand guns it's hard to say anything bad about their new lineup. They have been beaten and torture tested to death, and are flat out reliable.

jayhawk

WKR
I listen to a podcast that uses a value-for-value model of funding (No Agenda). Listeners donate whatever amount they are able based on the value they receive from the podcast and, in return, they get recognized for their donation. Some people can only donate a few dollars, but many donate hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

The advantage of this is that the hosts can say and promote whatever they want free of contracts with advertisers. I'd really like to see more entertainment companies do this, and I wonder if Meateater would benefit from adopting this model in the long run.