Meateater sells a controlling stake to anti-gun Democrat?

260madman

WKR
Hunting and the 2A are VERY loosely related at best. Rinella is an excellent ambassador for hunting but I’m guessing his concerns for the 2A are limited to his bolt action rifles. Not an unheard of position, even here on the slide. I’ll continue to enjoy his content but don’t trust (or expect) him to protect my rights any better than the next wind up dancing monkey.

This is my stance also. He has a great hunting show but he’ll do nothing for my 2A rights. Getting anti-gunners in your hunting company will do nothing for the true intent of the 2A, which isn’t hunting, it will slowly give more power to them so they can say “see, we don’t need these fully semiautomatic ak1547s to kill animals with therefore we should outlaw them”. I take at least 1 deer a year with my ARs (this year was 3) and I’m never giving them up.

Yes, don’t get me wrong great guy and great message. I’m just disappointed with the commercialization that’s all. No comment on the apparent liberal ties, I’ll let someone else worry about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car7x

WKR
I don't know much about this yet, or care about the next guys politics until it interferes with my life..but, and not to speak ill of the dead, this is about as logical as Jason from kuiu sucking up to Don jr. Or any outdoor enthusiast, company, or conservation minded folks supporting this current government policy of selling our public lands out from underneath us.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The NRA and Gun Rights advocates could learn a thing or two from Rinella. You’re not trying to convince those that disagree with you, you’re trying to convince those that have no opinion.

We don't have to convince anyone of anything. We have a Constitution that is extremely clear on the 2nd Amendment "Shall Not Be Infringed Upon". If those that have no opinion can't figure that out on their own, then we certainly can't help them with that. Might as well help them out of bed every day and help them find their way to work or the welfare office too.

Shadow14

WKR
I've known for a long time that I don't agree with Rinella on a lot of stuff but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the content put out and appreciate him as an ambassador for hunting. I've been a fan for a few years now and Steve seems to be very nuanced and reasoned. When in America did we start hating people because they believe something different or because they take a political stance that does not align exactly with ours?? We are all Americans, we are all neighbors, and we are all hunters here. And since when in America did we look down on someone for making money and doing well for themselves?? There is noting wrong with Meateater getting bigger and Steve making more money for himself. He and everyone else there has worked hard and put out quality content for years. I am excite to spend money to go see the show in Portland. Steve and the rest of the Meateater crew are acutely aware that a vast majority of their audience is right leaning and it would be suicide to take a really anti gun or anti private land stance. People are tired of the divisiveness and they are tired of politics being in every part of our lives. Even though I have a different worldview, I still love and appreciate the shows. Good on you Steve Rinella

I don't have any issue with Rinella on this. I just think everyone should be aware that an anti-gunner buying controlling stake of a hunting company isn't so he can become more understanding to what the opposition thinks.

bsnedeker

WKR
I saw this today too. I have a lot of respect for rinella and think he’s a good ambassador to hunting. However I listen to Ben O’Brien podcast with Charles post and was very off put how they talked about the grizzly delisting. Seemed like they thought it was good thing that the bears put back on the endangered species list. Thought it was ironic too that it was coming from two guys that just moved to Montana and never really dealt with g bears. This is a really concerning mentality in his new company. I hope rinella continues his mentality of Democrats want to take your guns and Republicans want to take your public land and hunters are stuck in the middle stance. I however will be a little more cautious about what he’s saying. First it ar’s next it sniper/hunting rifles it’s a really slippery slope.

I just listened to that podcast this weekend and was also disappointed in Ben's stance on grizz hunting. He actually said at one point in the podcast that he would "challenge someone who wants to hunt a grizzly" (I believe those were his exact words). Later in the podcast he waffled and said he had no problem with people hunting GB's so it was very unclear what his stance was. Ben did say he is a strong supporter of the 2A, but then qualified that by saying something along the lines of - I used to be very no-compromise on the 2A, but now I understand that you have to have an open mind about these issues, so again, unclear where he really stands.

That said, it is a podcast which means it is going to be a very free-flowing conversation so I don't think it's a good idea to hold someone's feet to the fire over a stray comment here and there that you may not agree with. I think it's just dangerous territory for these guys when they start waffling over issues that are so clearly important to the large majority of their audience. This will be especially important for the meateater crew in the future now that they are so clearly linked to an anti-2A activist.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And since when in America did we look down on someone for making money and doing well for themselves??

Are you kidding? That's been the American liberal way for some time now. The only way they're OK with it is when that wealth is redistributed to everyone else that didn't work for it. But when that hard working American isn't handing it all out.........well, that's just horrible in their minds. There's a huge anti-capitalism and anti-corporate movement on the left. Elizabeth Warren stated in her "run for President" speech, that she was "going to fix capitalism". Capitalism doesn't need fixing. She means she's going to ruin it. That's what governmental intrusion and regulations do to it. Kind of like de-tuning an engine so much just to meet emissions regulations, that the engine doesn't run anywhere near its capability or efficiency anymore. They'll do the same to capitalism, because they can't stand seeing people succeed. Their quest and push for mediocrity........yay.

Billinsd

WKR
I don't plan to watch Rhinella any longer, because of this. I'm not angry at the guy, just disappointed. I'm voting with my feet. I don't expect First Lite to do or say anything and that's fine. I'm not going to sell my First Lite stuff and will buy more if I need in the future.

Billinsd

WKR
Are you kidding? That's been the American liberal way for some time now. The only way they're OK with it is when that wealth is redistributed to everyone else that didn't work for it. But when that hard working American isn't handing it all out.........well, that's just horrible in their minds. There's a huge anti-capitalism and anti-corporate movement on the left. Elizabeth Warren stated in her "run for President" speech, that she was "going to fix capitalism". Capitalism doesn't need fixing. She means she's going to ruin it. That's what governmental intrusion and regulations do to it. Kind of like de-tuning an engine so much just to meet emissions regulations, that the engine doesn't run anywhere near its capability or efficiency anymore. They'll do the same to capitalism, because they can't stand seeing people succeed. Their quest and push for mediocrity........yay.
Capitalism has been broken for the last hundred years. It gotten extremely corrupt with more and more government control and meddling. We have crony capitalism. No one will fix it, not liberals or republicans.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Capitalism has been broken for the last hundred years. It gotten extremely corrupt with more and more government control and meddling. We have crony capitalism. No one will fix it, not liberals or republicans.
Partially true, crony capitalism is the problem. They/them that have the reins are actively choosing the winners in exhange for "contributions".

R

jspradley

WKR
I’m very surprised... that anyone could possibly believe Steve Rinella is in any possible way bad for or anti-hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

SJW call-out culture and the virtue signalling that goes along with it is infecting the hunting community.

I’m not sure what to say. Other then there is a huge surge among some hunters to bridge the gap with the anti’s. I commend them for that. I think that is where a lot of the BHA guys are. Trying to introduce our way of life to people who oppose or are unsure about ourwaynof life. What scares me is most if these people don’t see the forest through the trees. Meaning these groups will use us to get things in their favor then take a big dump on us when possible. I’ve personally witnessed here multiple times with dozens of wilderness designations.

I said all that to say this. Rinelka seems to me to be one of those guys. He’s articulate, educated, communicates well, and seems to be accepted by those that oppose us. I think we benefit as hunters because of him. So, I have a hard time believing his intents are bad. And can only hope his acceptance within the hunting community wasn’t used as a way to hurt our 2A in the future. I’m pretty sure I know where he stands on this. That’s fine. Because he seems to be a live and let live kind of guy.

Billinsd

WKR
We don't have to convince anyone of anything. We have a Constitution that is extremely clear on the 2nd Amendment "Shall Not Be Infringed Upon". If those that have no opinion can't figure that out on their own, then we certainly can't help them with that. Might as well help them out of bed every day and help them find their way to work or the welfare office too.
Some don't seem to hold the Second Amendment as high as us. It seems as though some here might be ok with more unfringements on our rights, such as an AR ban or an all out semi auto ban, that the left is after. Just so long as they can keep their bow or bolt action rifle, and the feds don't transfer or utilize federal land. That's what it seems like, but I'm speculating. I'm an American first and my freedoms, liberty, and my Constitutional rights rank far, far, far higher than my privaleges to hunt. And yes, hunting is my number one privalege and I don't want that taken away or diminished. How the NRA is defending our 2nd Amendment rights and how folks like Rhinella are defending our hunting privaleges and public access issues are both failing in my opinion. Do we draw a line in the sand like the NRA or do we cross over that line and hold hands with those who are against us on most issues hoping we can win the hearts and minds of the undecided? The Left is so powerful, too powerful. My Grandad was born almost 120 years ago. He laughed synically at me about my future as a hunter in the late 70s. He said "Billy, I had it a lot better as a hunter than your dad, and Billy, well, he chuckled, you are sol".

I was introduced to Meateater by a non-hunter, and I have supported his transition to hunting that Rinella sparked so I have literally watched Rinella's work broaden our sport. IMO he does not make a move without critical thought.

Further, I have heard his opinions on AR regulation straight from his mouth on a podcast and he is against it. He spoke not only is the idea that they are not for hunting false, but that it didn't matter anyway. His podcast also has touched on his support for delisting grizzly in the GYE and his relentless support for delisting when appropriate and wildlife management in general to be science based and without ties to emotion. IMO he has done a tremendous amount for the sport and continues to do so, but I understand that many will scream green decoy to the likes of Rinella, Callaghan, and even Randy Newberg because they support environmental conservation alongside hunting.

Lastly, I would encourage anyone who disagrees or wants more info to email Steve or meateater in general. They are extremely responsive, usually Brody emails me back but sometimes others.

Dude sold out, y'all should be proud and happy for him. Anyone that is legitimately concerned over this hasn't consumed enough Rinella, or didn't pay attention when they did.

Billinsd

WKR
I don't have any issue with Rinella on this. I just think everyone should be aware that an anti-gunner buying controlling stake of a hunting company isn't so he can become more understanding to what the opposition thinks.
And you don't have any issue with Rhinella on this? That's amazing to me. So, you think this is just about money? It could be. It could be both.