Meateater sells a controlling stake to anti-gun Democrat?

i think everyone should have at least one, if not more social or political issues that put them into emotional crisis. It shows your invested in the future.

Politics and conspiracy aside, my original post still stands. I liked the meateater media much better when he was a regular joe living in an little apartment telling me about cooking game, hunting and conservation.

I know the message is the same, but meateater lost some genuineness for me back when he started telling me the boots I need to wear, what machines I need to use to cook my game, and how to get my meateater swag. I know he has to pay the bills but I liked it better when it wasn’t about the money.

Now that meateater is a corporation no longer under Steve’s control and looking to capitalize on my high-spending but under-served market segment (paraphrasing a quote from the Chernin group) I have even less interest. That’s not a knock on capitalism at all, I’m glad his business is growing, but the message resonated stronger with me when I didn’t have to question motives influenced by money.

I appreciate his role as a spokesman for hunting and conservation, his conservation intents, and I have no doubt he supports the 2a. And good on him for fulfilling the American dream and cashing in on what is and will be a very nice sum. I’ll still watch and listen but I just liked the early meateater much much more, that’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a huge hot button issue for me- when an entertainer that I’ve been a fan of for a while gets discovered by other people, or suddenly reaches a new market- it raises a lot of red flags about there legitimacy. It’s like When Ice Cube started making movies- he may as well never had stepped foot in Compton as far as I’m concerned.

Perpetrators will perpetrate

Guys, you can listen to each individuals stance on the issues and all the BS they spew when they are trying to get your votes. But when they get to Washington they WILL vote party line 99% of the time. A vote for Tester was a vote against the 2A.

ODB

WKR
Politics and conspiracy aside, my original post still stands. I liked the meateater media much better when he was a regular joe living in an little apartment telling me about cooking game, hunting and conservation.

I know the message is the same, but meateater lost some genuineness for me back when he started telling me the boots I need to wear, what machines I need to use to cook my game, and how to get my meateater swag. I know he has to pay the bills but I liked it better when it wasn’t about the money.

Now that meateater is a corporation no longer under Steve’s control and looking to capitalize on my high-spending but under-served market segment (paraphrasing a quote from the Chernin group) I have even less interest. That’s not a knock on capitalism at all, I’m glad his business is growing, but the message resonated stronger with me when I didn’t have to question motives influenced by money.

I appreciate his role as a spokesman for hunting and conservation, his conservation intents, and I have no doubt he supports the 2a. And good on him for fulfilling the American dream and cashing in on what is and will be a very nice sum. I’ll still watch and listen but I just liked the early meateater much much more, that’s all.

This is spot on in my book. Things were a lot more authentic back then. If you look at the jobs they post, damn near all of them have been about driving traffic, increasing followers, and KPIs. In short, it’s all business. It’s also gotten very clannish. No doubt he’s done well and is making lots of money, but it does’t resonate with me nearly as much as in the past. He is a full-blown TV personality/celebrity now. Something he has derided in the past.

I wasn’t going to post the below because they are big topics and hence a bit reductive, but they are pretty much where I am with the new .inc.

Some random thoughts on meateater:

1) I’ve been reading and watching him from the beginning. Things have definitely taken a corporate turn, though Rinella himself pretty much sounds the same. He is a promoter’s dream because his endorsements sound very authentic, not shill-ish (although it’s changing a bit), and he has built a loyal following.

2) I think the Meateater brand thing is growing too fast – they are putting out so much content, and, like the 24-hr news cycle, it will dilute itself. Just like most gun mags, there’s nothing really novel, mostly a different person’s perspective on the same thing. And he often tells the same stories over and over.

3) He has become largely instructional now. The first two books (Scavengers and Buffalo) were good, then he became a hunting Tony Bourdain. They are both ZPZ, so it makes sense. It will be very hard, if not impossible for him to write another book that is anything but instructional. Although I hope I’m wrong. Literature after cookbooks are a mountain. Anthologies don’t count. I’d much prefer the TV show and a good book every 3 years. No podcast, no website.

4) having said that, The meateater podcast is generally good. However Ben Obrien has lost me as a listener. He is often vulgar, and vulgarity is typically an indicator of low intelligence. I mean, who calls a doe deer a mo*******ker? His positions vary with the guest and he covers his lack of understanding by saying things require ‘nuance,’ yet he provides none. The ‘thoughtful’ conversations he always mentions are nauseating… And I get tired of hearing him bash “trophy hunting.” The Callaghan and Charles post podcasts come to mind. The meateater brand has fetishized wild game (and killing that wild game on public land) and made it as desirable to some as antlers. Oh, and any time a hunter passes on a legal buck for something bigger (ala the Idaho Mule Deer episode), you are “trophy hunting.” “Not what I’m looking for,” might as well be, “He won’t make the book.” The near puritanical view of public land has created an air of elitism that is not healthy in my book. See the desires of Shaul in Jackson Hole - a similar mentality.

5) As to the obrien/ BHA connection – as a non-profit, BHA is prohibited from advocating/campaigning for or against specific candidates. They skirt this line too close in my opinion. I was a BHA member for one year, got sick of seeing Land Tawney overstate its effectiveness, minimize the hunting experience (“It’s not just about hunting, but being out there…”), dump on just about any (R) while hiding behind the company’s name. Understand – I’m 100% pro-public land, but there seems to be very little interest on behalf of BHA in cultivating more interest/support for it from the right than simply bashing them whenever it’s expedient. I don’t think they should bash the ‘opposition,’ I think they should do more the change their minds – they don’t do that very well. Everyone loves to have an enemy.
7) If the meateater folks don’t think their connection with the new $$$ folks doesn’t matter, they are tone deaf. I hope Rinella is smart enough to get ahead of it. Willfully making yourself the representative of millions of people means you have a certain responsibility to them – like it or not. Just like a politician.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Seems this is just how the whole hunting industry is going. It’s not right to make money off the outdoors unless I am the one making the money.....

I posed the question to a friend as to whether the outdoor industry was actually tantamount to market hunting? Is making money off the pursuit of publicly owned animals for personal gain the same thing as killing animals to sell the meat for profit? Dunno, but it’s a thought I had....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Republicans good, Democrats Bad. Democrats Good, Republican bad. The two party establishment has turned a huge portion of this country into thoughtless saps.

I've said it before........it doesn't matter what label you put on someone, it all comes down to one thing.........decisions and ideologies are made up of the best possible logical outcomes for the situation. Logic has been best defined as "logic is how we try to make the best possible decisions without the interference of pesky human emotions".

There are people that have shown over and over that they refuse to exclude the emotions in decision making, and there are those that have shown that making logical decisions are the norm. But these days we have a very strong majority that have completely thrown logic out the window......with every decision, and it doesn't seem to matter what letter is in front of their name.

So we can put labels and names to people and organizations, but it all comes down to whether they can make logical decisions. And I would absolutely put a "good" label on logic, and a "bad" label on no logic in decision making. And every single issue we have in the country today can easily be argued on this basis, and shown why there are bad decisions being made.

It is beyond me WHY anyone would not choose the best possible logical solution to a problem every time, instead of "compromising" on something less. Mindboggling. That's what separates this country today.

I posed the question to a friend as to whether the outdoor industry was actually tantamount to market hunting? Is making money off the pursuit of publicly owned animals for personal gain the same thing as killing animals to sell the meat for profit? Dunno, but it’s a thought I had....

That’s funny I was just talking about exactly this the other day. One of the guiding principles of the North American model of wildlife conservation that the Rinellas and Newburgs of the industry like to talk about is the elimination of market value of wildlife. In an ironic way wildlife has a huge market value now - albeit in a different sense. You can’t sell a dead animal, but you and your sponsors sure can make a bunch of money from a picture of you with one. The current type of market value we have on wildlife shouldn’t threaten the population size per se, but it sure challenges public access to that valuable resource (think about all the bow hunting deer leases in the east that are squeezing the average joe out). To further the irony, public ownership of that wildlife is yet another guiding tenet of the model, but ownership doesn’t guarantee access.

If you can read Newburg’s response and turn this into an abortion debate then you can’t be helped, you are totally unhinged.

Unequivocally

my psychosomatic disorder not only has physical manifestations, but a large amount of cognitive dissonance. A reversion to our ancestoral heritage was inevitable. The trigger: Your unique and vocal exhortation of the truth.

IMG_1259.JPG

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I've said it before........it doesn't matter what label you put on someone, it all comes down to one thing.........decisions and ideologies are made up of the best possible logical outcomes for the situation. Logic has been best defined as "logic is how we try to make the best possible decisions without the interference of pesky human emotions".

There are people that have shown over and over that they refuse to exclude the emotions in decision making, and there are those that have shown that making logical decisions are the norm. But these days we have a very strong majority that have completely thrown logic out the window......with every decision, and it doesn't seem to matter what letter is in front of their name.

So we can put labels and names to people and organizations, but it all comes down to whether they can make logical decisions. And I would absolutely put a "good" label on logic, and a "bad" label on no logic in decision making. And every single issue we have in the country today can easily be argued on this basis, and shown why there are bad decisions being made.

It is beyond me WHY anyone would not choose the best possible logical solution to a problem every time, instead of "compromising" on something less. Mindboggling. That's what separates this country today.

To your last point, I’d recommend a couple books: The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. And every book by Jonathan Haidt. Very different books (and timeframes), but both centered on why people believe what they believe, and what motivates them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
To your last point, I’d recommend a couple books: The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. And every book by Jonathan Haidt. Very different books (and timeframes), but both centered on why people believe what they believe, and what motivates them.

It goes way beyond what they believe and what motivates them, it comes down to what makes the most logical sense. Making decisions based on anything else........isn't logical. That's what should motivate people. Being able to use logic and reason is what separates us from the rest of the animals.

A quote from Eric Hoffer: "Hatred is the most accessible and comprehensive of all the unifying agents. Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a god, but never without a belief in a devil.” I would agree in that Satan is the one pulling all the strings on the left these days, as it's easy to see that every decision and ideology they have and use is in direct defiance to God and His Word.

getting crabby is okay, but if your that worked up enough to fill garbage can that's not okayIMG_1257.JPG

Then again some people logical thoughts are like goat heads. Stink pretty bad and don't want to touch it.IMG_1148.jpg

ODB

WKR
It goes way beyond what they believe and what motivates them, it comes down to what makes the most logical sense. Making decisions based on anything else........isn't logical. That's what should motivate people. Being able to use logic and reason is what separates us from the rest of the animals.

Just read the books. You will start to understand WHY they do not use logic to form their decisions. Their beliefs motivate them to not follow logic.

And when you say “makes the most logical sense” understand that for you that is
informed by your beliefs and motivations. For others, it’s not.

Last week a certain house member told a journalist not to get hung up on accuracy and semantics (she got several things factually incorrect) because they don’t matter that much when you are morally right.

That’s what I’m getting at - in our postmodern world, logic is plastic and dispensible in the face of self-appointed moral superiority.