Meateater spices and rubs

Anyone using these? Got any feedback?

i love Rinella and ole cal is a dream boat but I am getting a little worried as they expand into spices and bourbon and go knows what else.

Gorp2007

WKR
I got some as a Christmas gift from the wife. Not sure what they’re charging, but the blends themselves are really good. It’s not just Lawry’s repackaged and sold at a premium. In fact there’s not much salt in them, which I like because it lets me salt and season separately.

Agree with your feelings on market saturation, which is why I’m not running out to buy the bourbon. But I think seasonings and sweet Benchmade boning knives still fall within their collective circle of expertise.

Scottyboy

WKR
Got some as a gift. They are OK, I wouldn’t spend my money on them though. The only one I liked was mastadon? The rest got discarded after 1 use.

Mosby

WKR
Celebrity spices tend to be overpriced and more about money than flavor. I never buy them.

Really want to try them but can't bring myself to pay that price... The 'sale' they just ran on them was laughable.

OP
Desk Jockey
I really like the meateater but I just clicked on a Game prep knife they are selling and it is $300. I think it is a limited edition and I am sure it is a great knife but $300 is a good chunk for a boning knife. I tend to baby pricey gear like that and not really use it like it should be used.

OP
Desk Jockey
In fairness to the meateater crew, they are still putting out recipes that don’t include their spice mixes. Today that have one for a steak coffee run that I have to imagine is pretty close to the formula for their proprietary spice.

I really like the meateater but I just clicked on a Game prep knife they are selling and it is $300. I think it is a limited edition and I am sure it is a great knife but $300 is a good chunk for a boning knife. I tend to baby pricey gear like that and not really use it like it should be used.
A bench made altitude is 200$ and I’d say I use a boning knife 50% more than a skinning knife. It’s for sure pricey but if he actually wanted to build the best knife he could and thinks he did that I wouldn’t want home to cripple it to make it more affordable.

Especially at a time when he would have been burned at the stake for releasing a chicom knife

Then again I have a signed cookbook so I’m just a groupie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About 20% of their best sellers are $250 -$310. I feel pretty good about $300 that supports two USA businesses, Meateater being one of the best promoters of ethical hunting and fishing, public land use preservation, and personal responsibility, something very much needed by the youth of our day. On top of that it's a custom knife that has all the features I like, including a nice big hole to use as a hanger or lanyard attachment and excellent grip material. Of course the blade is the perfect shape (for me) and the steel is top notch. The more I think about it the more I consider it a pretty good deal, so much so that I ordered one today.

Bcon

FNG
I also purchased a variety of these spices and felt that they were "ok". I will say that I have tried quite a few of the recipes on the website and cookbook, and to this point, they have all been very good. The breakfast steak that uses a coffee/brown sugar/chili rub is actually pretty fantastic, kids love it when they are home.

I also purchased a variety of these spices and felt that they were "ok". I will say that I have tried quite a few of the recipes on the website and cookbook, and to this point, they have all been very good. The breakfast steak that uses a coffee/brown sugar/chili rub is actually pretty fantastic, kids love it when they are home.

That's funny. I have not liked any of the recipes very much, as my wife and I are avid cooks with about 50 years experience each. But I liked all the spices except the bourbon rub. :cool:

Really want to try them but can't bring myself to pay that price... The 'sale' they just ran on them was laughable.
Well I finally caved and bought the Mastadon, Beaver, and Honey Pecan. All are good, but the Honey Pecan is exceptional! It's the only one of the three worth buying again for me. Highly reccomend it. Unique taste unlike the other two.

Bcon

FNG
That's funny. I have not liked any of the recipes very much, as my wife and I are avid cooks with about 50 years experience each. But I liked all the spices except the bourbon rub. :cool:

I suppose different tastes for everybody, one that I did really like was the Pheasant Pad Thai, don't have a lot to compare it to, but thought it was really good. Had the stuffed roast turkey breast last night and also liked that. I would agree that the bourbon rub was my least favorite of the ones I tried. Have you used the coffee rub or something similar? My kids really like that one.

I suppose different tastes for everybody, one that I did really like was the Pheasant Pad Thai, don't have a lot to compare it to, but thought it was really good. Had the stuffed roast turkey breast last night and also liked that. I would agree that the bourbon rub was my least favorite of the ones I tried. Have you used the coffee rub or something similar? My kids really like that one.

I haven't tried them all. :)