MeatEater *Spoilers

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a thread in the general section if you want to talk about how you canceled Netflix.

Here’s the spoiler: he hits an elk but doesn’t recover it.

I was wondering if anyone knew, or could tell what bullet he was shooting. It’s in CO and shot around 100 yards. I didn’t pause it but looks like a powerbelt.

hodgeman

WKR
No idea on the bullet. But it really looked like a hit to the spinal flange. Dropped like a sack of rocks, but shook it off and tore out of the country without much of a blood trail to speak of. A hit in the shoulder (probably) would have looked quite a bit different.

Bad deal, that elk would be likely to survive it though.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I think they may have been Thor Hammers. Looked more pointed than a powerbelt and I know he likes monolithic copper bullets.

Honestly just reconfirmed why I don’t have much interest in muzzles. Relatively poor on target performance, usually meh accuracy(I know they can be very accurate), and the big one is with any modern firearm a reload is a two seconds away at most.

I know it gets you an extra tag so I get it but I can’t stand knowing theirs a better tool for that job that would have made that a much simpler situation.

Honestly just reconfirmed why I don’t have much interest in muzzles. Relatively poor on target performance, usually meh accuracy(I know they can be very accurate), and the big one is with any modern firearm a reload is a two seconds away at most.

I know it gets you an extra tag so I get it but I can’t stand knowing theirs a better tool for that job that would have made that a much simpler situation.

Poor placement is poor placement, weapon system doesn't matter at that point-- and poor on target performance is more often a placement issue or employment issue (distance or choice of bullet). Used within their limits muzzleloaders are a fantastic option and quite devastating on game.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider

Ouch. I’d hate to hear what you think of bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Elk go down and die very quickly with a well-placed BH through both lungs. I've shot elk through the heart with a high powered rifle that ran 400 yards before dropping........without a heart.

That’s my subtle point. No one should shy away from archery or MZL hunting opportunities because of lethality concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor placement is poor placement, weapon system doesn't matter at that point-- and poor on target performance is more often a placement issue or employment issue (distance or choice of bullet). Used within their limits muzzleloaders are a fantastic option and quite devastating on game.

well put... I am by no means a deadeye shooter... but if I stay within my comfortable distance limits and use and practice with the right bullet I am just as accurate and lethal with an open sights muzzleloader as a scoped rifle

I get the point about it being easier to reload and make sure you get your meat but for many including myself there is more to muzzleloading than "just an extra tag".... many folks and this obviously includes bow hunters are just drawn to the challenge and intimacy of having to get closer and only having one shot. There is also some nostalgic value for many.

Definitely not right for everyone but for those that it sure is addicting.