Meateater Weatherby rifle

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking about trying out the Meateater Edition Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm rem mag… Want to know if anybody has any experience with this rifle? Any feedback? Any issues? I know weatherby’s shoot well just want to hear some feedback on this model! If it all falls through I plan on falling back on a Winchester model 70 extreme weather SS. So no worries. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
I personally really like that 70 but that's just me. A hunting buddy had the Weatherby it is a nice gun that shoots well I tease him about the meat eater logo on the bottom metal but that's all in good fun

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

My father and brother both have one. 300WM and 300Wby. Both guns shoot their chosen factory ammo well and they like the rifles a lot. They don't handload or anything and didn't have to try a bunch of factory ammo to get accuracy they were happy with. I've handled them, and they seem well-built for the cost. Not an in-depth opinion or anything, but I thought I'd pass that along. Good luck.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I handled one recently and it felt really great, not a fan of having logo anything so I'd swap the bottom metal for a magazine kit (reduces weight as well) or paint over the logo but it shouldered well and was balanced.

I haven't gotten to hold the model 70 but I've also looked at those online as well as a good option.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Haven’t handled the MeatEater specific model, but Weatherby has pretty great fit/finish. That said, I’ve got two EWSS and looking for a 3rd

OP
AlpineAssassin907
In my opinion you’d be better off with the Winchester out of those two rifles.
Hey Thankyou brother. I love Winchester and I have several. Definitely leaning toward another one. Wanted to try something else for giggles and just wanted to hear some feedback on that weatherby. 🍻

zandroid

FNG
I would lean towards the Winchester M70 EWSS, but I have one and probably biased. Only downside is high bolt throw tends to hang up or get interferred with on the larger optics bells now. It's a minor gripe. On another note, if you need any warranty work I have always had a good experience calling FN (Browning/Winchester).

I didn't see all of the specs on the Weatherby, but it looks like the main upgrades on it are the Cerakote and MeatEater Logo. The Winchester M70 EWSS has CHF barrel and B&C stock (debatable upgrade), and it's stainless. Not sure if the Weatherby is stainless under the Cerakote and I didn't see anything about the stock.

Also, is this the rifle the guys are carrying around in the new season? I haven't seen it yet, but I know early season it looks like they're carrying custom Model 700s (or custom clones). Then later seasons they carry Savages (stainless synthetic models), I assume through sponsorship or something, though they don't advertise/hock Savage. Just curious if this Weatherby is equipment they personally use or just licensing their logo to it.

Last edited:
OP
AlpineAssassin907
I would lean towards the Winchester M70 EWSS, but I have one and probably biased. Only downside is high bolt throw tends to hand up on the larger optics bells now. It's a minor gripe. On another note, if you need any warranty work I have always had a good experience calling FN (Browning/Winchester).
Hey Thankyou brother. I love Winchester model 70’s, I have one as well. I mainly use my Kimber Montana at the moment for the type of hunting I have been doing, I just wanted to try a new rifle brand out for straight giggles. Seems that most people aren’t a fan of them. Which is fine I just wanted to hear some feedback.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I am so tired of self promoting hunting personalities and promo codes that I am not sure I would use the meateater rifle if it was given to me. I would second finding the IBEX rifle if you really want a Weatherby, unless your a meateater fan.

I have no experience with cerakote coverings and I know they protect the outside of the barrel from weather but I am not sure if there is protection for the inside of the barrel. If you went the model 70 route the barrel is stainless and would be protected.

sndmn11

WKR
I really like our vanguards. I think the best they had were the wilderness/Backcountry with the BC stock, min is 6.25lbs.

I think the structurally plain synthetic stocked rifles that are dressed up with camo or sticker carbon look are way overpriced. I'd buy a standard vanguard and throw a new stock on it for the same price as the meateater.

HOWEVER, if anyone such as @Tauntohawk wants to swap their dropplate mag for my long action DBM setup, let's talk.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I can't seem to find the model 70 extreme weather in stock anywhere to handle, I agree the best vanguards are probably the wilderness and Backcountry but of course they are discontinued and I can't locate those either.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk