MeatEater with Tucker Carlson

I listened to it. I disagree with what Carlson says on his show about 75% of the time, and I generally find his tactics to divide Americans through questionable presentation of "facts" to be gross.

But on the podcast I agreed with most of what he said and realized he is a genuine outdoorsman, so I gained respect for him. He did seem arrogant, especially in the trivia section, but it's probably just confidence gained from a successful career, so I give that a pass.
…and who are you to be giving anyone a pass? What amazes me is how being flippantly arrogant is the norm on the internet.

Yes I'm sure their new owner is interested in profits so they would have an obligation to come up with new material all the time.

There's only so many times I can listen to an hour of FOC, heavy arrows, etc

Enjoyed the podcast. Made my time driving more enjoyable. Entertainment for me and I often learn something each episode.

Some of ya'll think way too much into these podcasts. Just use them as entertainment and keep the politics and cancel culture out of it! If you don't like the guest, don't listen. That simple.

ODB

WKR
Nice, move the goalposts. Classic.

It was clearly inferred it was bad because it was “just to get clicks.”

the whole model now IS to get clicks and pass-through sales. It’s literally been Chernin-ized. Meateater has become a front-end money machine for a huge investor.

that’s why they revamped wild and whole. You go to that section of the site and you can literally buy an OXO lettuce spinner. Click in it and you will see it’s being sold by Food52. A little research tells you, unsurprisingly, Food52 is owned by…The Chernin Group.

It’s all incestuous, a bit disingenuous, and I keep watching in the hopes it will suddenly change back to the model that I actually respected. But I’m not holding my breath.

TheGDog

WKR
Guys, I put "not surprisingly."

I'll have to admit I was taken off guard by how financially motivated Rinella appears to be. I used to believe he cared about some things much more than money. I was wrong.
Well... to this I'd say... I think they just realize that in todays media consumption society, that you've got to constantly keep trying to drive for more momentum in terms of engagement retention and cross-pollination of audiences. I don't think it's a coincidence they elected to name the show MeatEater. Right off the bat they would know that would spark controversy by raising the ire of the Vegans and TreeHuggers, so that would always be a thing that would drive traffic to them. Then... some of the traffic would "stick" in terms of a new viewer finding that he liked this content, when he hadn't been exposed to it before.

You should read some of Dos Perros previous posts.

I'm pretty sure he's not what you're assuming him to be.
Maybe not. I just get tired of the criticism of every single hunting podcast/personality for “trying to get clicks.”

That’s like, their entire business model… So no shit they are trying to get clicks.

Does the increasing amount of advertising on the podcast since they have become successful get old? Sure.

But for the most part I listen because I enjoy the guests and Rinella’s interview style. Guess what? Tucker was a really interesting guest. It doesn’t have to be more complicated or insidious than that.

Overall, Meateater has been a net positive for conservation as well as the public perception of hunting and fishing, and to top it off I’ve been entertained by their content.

I wish I was surprised that fact would make guys on an Internet forum about hunting butthurt.😂

People love to hate Tucker, which I find funny.

The interview was interesting and he had an interesting perspective about some stuff. If people didn't know what he did for a day job they would be able to enjoy it the same way they could enjoy the Yvon Chouinard interview.

The reaction on the IG page was surprising to me. People really think the guy is Hitler. Based on that response I'm not really surprised he was yelled at in a Montana with his daughter present.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I put "not surprisingly."

I'll have to admit I was taken off guard by how financially motivated Rinella appears to be. I used to believe he cared about some things much more than money. I was wrong.
Big time. As soon at Hollywood mogul Peter Chernin invested in meateater, Steve started cranking out articles on hunting being too white.

Big time. As soon at Hollywood mogul Peter Chernin invested in meateater, Steve started cranking out articles on hunting being too white.
Gotta admit that article was pretty cringy. The title itself was just off putting. “Too white” implies it’s wrong to be white.

I could’ve gotten there if it was “why did the black community lose its outdoor traditions after the civil war?”

But nah, had to imply some white guilt in there. All in all it was pretty tone deaf.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta admit that article was pretty cringy. The title itself was just off putting. “Too white” implies it’s wrong to be white.

I could’ve gotten there if it was “why did the black community lose its outdoor traditions after the civil war?”

But nah, had to imply some white guilt in there. All in all it was pretty tone deaf.
It was disappointing to see that anti white mentality make its way into the outdoors community.

Different folks value different things and activities but hollywood aint too keen on leaving folks alone

Fitzwho

WKR
Overall liked the podcast. Gave me a new perspective on Tucker C. Thought he was pretty funny.

I think overall Meateater is still putting out genuinely good content 75% or more of the time.

However, have you looked at the optics shop... $2299.99 for a pair of Vortex Razor UHD 12x50's? That is Vortex's MSRP. Literally everywhere else online has them listed at $1599.99. But what do you get for the extra $700 you might ask? A $400 Firstlite gift card and a free FHF Gear Bino Harness ($120). So you are still paying $180 more than everywhere else on the internet... Can people not do math anymore?

It was disappointing to see that anti white mentality make its way into the outdoors community.

Different folks value different things and activities but hollywood aint too keen on leaving folks alone

Man... How sensitive you guys are. Y'all need to toughen up.

The author of that article has been an outdoor and hunting writer for a long time and is from Wisconsin, which has a higher black percentage of black folks than most western hunting states. That issue just may be in the front of his mind and there's no reason to believe Rinella or chernin group asked him to write that piece.

It in no way implies being white is bad or that the majority of the hunting population being white is bad. It's simply looking at statistics and surveys to question why the majority of hunters are white and what the future may hold.

Some people enjoy sharing their passion with people from other cultures and races. With some states' hunter numbers going down overall, I'd say we need all the hunter we can get in those areas. It would be especially helpful if a larger population of minorities were into hunting because it would help to ensure that our hunting heritage continues into the future by having a voice from all different types of people in the voting population.

I'd personally love to get out hunting with some of the black kids I grew up with. I played tons of sports with them, but they thought hunting was a weird white guy's thing. I think we'd have had a great time hunting together.

OP
coloyooper
I'd personally love to get out hunting with some of the black kids I grew up with. I played tons of sports with them, but they thought hunting was a weird white guy's thing. I think we'd have had a great time hunting together.
this couldn’t be more accurate. “You white people are weird” was something I heard a lot in college when I talked about hunting. Nothing wrong with it- people just grew up doing different things than me.

ODB

WKR
this couldn’t be more accurate. “You white people are weird” was something I heard a lot in college when I talked about hunting. Nothing wrong with it- people just grew up doing different things than me.

Yes. And those preferences lead to different representation in different pursuits which, from the outside, and from a “critical” perspective, look like exclusion. It’s largely not - no matter what anyone says.

Man... How sensitive you guys are. Y'all need to toughen up.

The author of that article has been an outdoor and hunting writer for a long time and is from Wisconsin, which has a higher black percentage of black folks than most western hunting states. That issue just may be in the front of his mind and there's no reason to believe Rinella or chernin group asked him to write that piece.

It in no way implies being white is bad or that the majority of the hunting population being white is bad. It's simply looking at statistics and surveys to question why the majority of hunters are white and what the future may hold.

Some people enjoy sharing their passion with people from other cultures and races. With some states' hunter numbers going down overall, I'd say we need all the hunter we can get in those areas. It would be especially helpful if a larger population of minorities were into hunting because it would help to ensure that our hunting heritage continues into the future by having a voice from all different types of people in the voting population.

I didn’t disagree with the content of the article.

But the title was “click-baity” and I’ll maintain tone deaf to anyone paying attention. It looked like something I would read in salon.com. That was my only issue with it. “Too white” implies it’s wrong for not being more diverse. That somehow that is our fault as hunters.

I couldn’t disagree more. There is a lot of history as to why hunting is mainly a white thing in most areas… Most of which has nothing to do with hunters and a lot to do with economics and political factors over the past 100 years.

I’d love to see more black participation in hunting and fishing. I’d say 95% of hunters would say the same.

OXN939

WKR
I listened to it. I disagree with what Carlson says on his show about 75% of the time, and I generally find his tactics to divide Americans through questionable presentation of "facts" to be gross.

He did seem arrogant

On this exact same page- Carlson's show is hard to listen to at best. He was one of the conservatives who came out pretty strongly against Pebble Mine right off the bat, though. I honestly could care less what someone's personality is like as long as they use an influential platform to push important causes having to do with conservation.

I didn’t disagree with the content of the article.

But the title was “click-baity” and I’ll maintain tone deaf to anyone paying attention. It looked like something I would read in salon.com. That was my only issue with it. “Too white” implies it’s wrong for not being more diverse. That somehow that is our fault as hunters.

I couldn’t disagree more. There is a lot of history as to why hunting is mainly a white thing in most areas… Most of which has nothing to do with hunters and a lot to do with economics and political factors over the past 100 years.

I’d love to see more black participation in hunting and fishing. I’d say 95% of hunters would say the same.

Yea I agree on the title being click baity. Pretty much all articles, whether a news outlet or entertainment media have those sensational or provocative titles. With the exception of articles from Reuters and similar.

The economic factor is huge. A lot of the old guys that would fish in the ponds where I grew up would also be gathering carp from bowfishers because they really needed it for food