MeatEater

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I thought Lord Chouinard had all the answers? At least in his own mind he does.......
I was a bit surprised that Steve had Chouinard (the founder of Patagonia on his podcast). I was also a little surprised that Chouinard would come on. I was further surprised that Chouinard used to be a trapper.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm halfway through the season and really liked it for the same reasons others have posted above. Looking forward to watching some prior seasons as I've only caught a few. I also really like the podcasts - especially given the breadth of the topics. The epidemiologist and "Bleeding Out" were good and only tangential to hunting. The one with Patagonia guy pissed me off, but at the guest, not the hosts.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my take on MeatEater. Rinella is tapping into the most palatable component of hunting--that it is about meat! The average American is bothered by "trophy hunting" but they are cool with people who go out and hunt for food. There is a big movement of new hunters who primarily hunt for food. A decent number of those come from the Patogonia crowd and they don't relate to the typical hunter. Rinella talks about interesting topics and science rather than the same old grip and grin stories. I'd rather read his newsletter than most hunting magazines. He isn't afraid to challenge orthodoxy (see earlier coyote comments), go to new locations, hunt new species, and even eat meat (ie mountain lion) that has a bad rap for no other reason than tradition. He has the ability to bridge the hunting divide. He will even call out hunters for doing stupid stuff. Some people interpret this that he isn't united, but I agree with his point that if there is someone poking holes in the boat, you need to throw them out. I don't agree with everything Rinella does, but I find his approach pretty fascinating.

I was a bit surprised that Steve had Chouinard (the founder of Patagonia on his podcast). I was also a little surprised that Chouinard would come on. I was further surprised that Chouinard used to be a trapper.
He doesn’t shy away from unlike minds. Chouinard was full of contradictions if not out right hypocrisies. Rinella called him out on a few but kept it nice.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly can’t put a finger on it. I know that sounds like a cop-out, I’m still trying to figure it out for myself.

off the top of my head I feel like a lot of the time he is talking with little to no substance. He said words, but it added nothing. Idk I’m reaching, maybe I’ll really iron it out in the future. I know his tantrum on back 40 of that mower was cringe worthy

I completely agree. It's hard for me to describe why I can't listen to him but I just can't.

As for the MeatEater crew, Steve is super interesting and an really great conversationalist, but his ego and tendency to interrupt really bother me. It's especially bad when he has any women on the show. Ryan Callaghan is far and away the best on the show- I'd love to just sit and and have a beer with that dude. Janis too.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
He doesn’t shy away from unlike minds. Chouinard was full of contradictions if not out right hypocrisies. Rinella called him out on a few but kept it nice.

I thought that episode was pretty fascinating. Would kill to have some of the life experiences that guy has had.

Shotshill

FNG
Yvon did cool stuff and Patagonia has made some great gear... I still have my coat from when I was a whitewater guide in the early 80s. Its USA made and the first fleece/polypropylene I owned.

That said, to me there is nothing more invasive than pounding into a rock face so a person can scale it. If you sign off on that then you sign off
On a whole bunch of hypocritical neophyte conservation platforms.
Also,
The turkey episode also had a Patagonia clad female.... Maybe Yvon later owns FL??? 😁🇺🇸

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I completely agree. It's hard for me to describe why I can't listen to him but I just can't.

As for the MeatEater crew, Steve is super interesting and an really great conversationalist, but his ego and tendency to interrupt really bother me. It's especially bad when he has any women on the show. Ryan Callaghan is far and away the best on the show- I'd love to just sit and and have a beer with that dude. Janis too.

funny. I find Callaghan uninteresting and often incoherent. I’d like to chat with Steve about anything other than hunting, mostly writing and books.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Uh, shooting them doesn't help control the population. This has been proven over and over again.

Which local fish and game and zoologist have you confirmed this with for your area? My local guys here that I've met with several times over the last 5 years here in Northern California can't believe how much misinformation on this keeps spreading. There's a reason they are still no season and no limit on coyotes here. There's a reason they give out depredation permits to hunt them at night and hunt them with suppressed weapons. It works. I live it every day on my 200 acre ranch. You don't know what you don't know. This very recent generalization for all coyotes everywhere is such a ridiculous comment that keeps getting spewed online on forums and podcasts everywhere ever since Flores was on Rogan.

Michael54

WKR
Which local fish and game and zoologist have you confirmed this with for your area? My local guys here that I've met with several times over the last 5 years here in Northern California can't believe how much misinformation on this keeps spreading. There's a reason they are still no season and no limit on coyotes here. There's a reason they give out depredation permits to hunt them at night and hunt them with suppressed weapons. It works. I live it every day on my 200 acre ranch. You don't know what you don't know. This very recent generalization for all coyotes everywhere is such a ridiculous comment that keeps getting spewed online on forums and podcasts everywhere ever since Flores was on Rogan.
Agreed. The more I shoot the less I see and the less problems we have. It used to be when the fire whistle in the town below went off our woods would light up with coyote howls....not so much anymore. One or two is a rare occurence. They tried to pick of one of my beagles a few years ago and its been war ever since for me. There are a few species I'd love to see close to extinction and coyotes are at the top of my list. Between the calves and the chickens alone is enough reason for me. The only good thing they really do is pick off the boxed kittens city people decide to drop off on our farm for a good "home"

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Agreed. The more I shoot the less I see and the less problems we have. It used to be when the fire whistle in the town below went off our woods would light up with coyote howls....not so much anymore. One or two is a rare occurence. They tried to pick of one of my beagles a few years ago and its been war ever since for me. There are a few species I'd love to see close to extinction and coyotes are at the top of my list. Between the calves and the chickens alone is enough reason for me. The only good thing they really do is pick off the boxed kittens city people decide to drop off on our farm for a good "home"

You last line just cracked me up! About 3 weeks ago I'm sitting in my bedroom at the back of the house... I hear a car door shut from the road, we live in the middle of nowhere and my wife and I are both home. I get some pants on, grab the shotgun and flashlight and head out. A white SUV is speeding away as fast as they can... I thought it was just another lost soul out here, then I hear the high pitched meows. A box of 6 kittens no more than 2 or 3 weeks old sitting on the side of the road with the owls already circling overhead screeching. Such a great "home" for kittens haha.

Michael54

WKR
You last line just cracked me up! About 3 weeks ago I'm sitting in my bedroom at the back of the house... I hear a car door shut from the road, we live in the middle of nowhere and my wife and I are both home. I get some pants on, grab the shotgun and flashlight and head out. A white SUV is speeding away as fast as they can... I thought it was just another lost soul out here, then I hear the high pitched meows. A box of 6 kittens no more than 2 or 3 weeks old sitting on the side of the road with the owls already circling overhead screeching. Such a great "home" for kittens haha.
I know! I even posted on my facebook what really happens to their animals when they drop off their pets to their new "happy" home. I had to pull a kitten out of my fanbelt of my truck and showed it in all of its post mortem glory....some people just lack common sense.

Michael54

WKR
I did enjoy the episode about the sage grouse. His buddy he was hunting with is about as "old school" as it gets 🤣. I never knew they existed. And those suckers are huge! Plus steve having fleas crawl all over him from the jackrabbit was quite funny.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I know! I even posted on my facebook what really happens to their animals when they drop off their pets to their new "happy" home. I had to pull a kitten out of my fanbelt of my truck and showed it in all of its post mortem glory....some people just lack common sense.

Yep! It's easy to sit behind a computer and think that dropping off kittens in the "quiet country" isn't so bad... Or "ShOoTiNg CoYoTeS jUsT bRiNgS mOrE cOyOtEs!" You don't know what you don't know.

Michael54

WKR
Yep! It's easy to sit behind a computer and think that dropping off kittens in the "quiet country" isn't so bad... Or "ShOoTiNg CoYoTeS jUsT bRiNgS mOrE cOyOtEs!" You don't know what you don't know.
I can tell you our current population yearly. It's always however many i have shot less than what it was before i shot them. I have a rancher in Wyoming that gives us permission to hunt and he flat out told me "you can hunt here as long as you shoot every coyote you can while you're hunting". I've been skunked on mule deer and antelope on his ranch but never coyotes. I was actually shocked at how close you can get to a western coyote compared to the ones here in PA

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I can tell you our current population yearly. It's always however many i have shot less than what it was before i shot them. I have a rancher in Wyoming that gives us permission to hunt and he flat out told me "you can hunt here as long as you shoot every coyote you can while you're hunting". I've been skunked on mule deer and antelope on his ranch but never coyotes. I was actually shocked at how close you can get to a western coyote compared to the ones here in PA

Yup. The zoologists, fish and game, and DNR all come out at least twice a year and study our land and all the mitigation protected land that surrounds us, as well as all of our neighbors properties. Verifiable data with reports on what our hunting has done from people who live and breathe this stuff every day and have high education degrees and have dedicated their lives to our local habitats or "experts" on podcasts with unproven theories.... I know who I'm going with.