MeatEater

I completely agree. It's hard for me to describe why I can't listen to him but I just can't.

As for the MeatEater crew, Steve is super interesting and an really great conversationalist, but his ego and tendency to interrupt really bother me. It's especially bad when he has any women on the show. Ryan Callaghan is far and away the best on the show- I'd love to just sit and and have a beer with that dude. Janis too.
I think that the tendency to interrupt is part of what makes it a good podcast, though. If you listen to other popular podcasters like Joe Rogan (whether you like him or not, he has a highly successful show) they do the same thing in a lot of ways. It eliminates “dead air”, interrupting with questions helps ensure that the listeners are getting proper context, and it creates interesting conversational avenues. I haven’t listened to a single podcast of his that I didn’t enjoy, but then again I am a real sucker for conversational podcasts.

I agree with your thoughts on ‘ol Cal though. Seems to be as genuine as a fella can get.

What do you guys think of the Hunting Collective podcast? I personally can’t stand Ben o’Brien. I’ve listened to a few that I thought had interesting guests, but that’s more in spite of his hosting than because of it.

Muppence

FNG
I can't listen to Ben O'Brian, when he popped up on a couple of Remis podcasts I thought I'd have to stop listening to that too. The thing that annoys me about him is he tries to interrupt like Steve does but then says nothing with any substance, just talking for talkings sake. Steve generally interrupts to ask or add to a question or a relevant anecdote. Ben just interrupts to say the word 'nuance' and I don't think he knows what it means

Which local fish and game and zoologist have you confirmed this with for your area? My local guys here that I've met with several times over the last 5 years here in Northern California can't believe how much misinformation on this keeps spreading. There's a reason they are still no season and no limit on coyotes here. There's a reason they give out depredation permits to hunt them at night and hunt them with suppressed weapons. It works. I live it every day on my 200 acre ranch. You don't know what you don't know. This very recent generalization for all coyotes everywhere is such a ridiculous comment that keeps getting spewed online on forums and podcasts everywhere ever since Flores was on Rogan.

One wonders why, if shooting them was so effective, you have so many to justify such liberal regulation.

I can't listen to Ben O'Brian, when he popped up on a couple of Remis podcasts I thought I'd have to stop listening to that too. The thing that annoys me about him is he tries to interrupt like Steve does but then says nothing with any substance, just talking for talkings sake. Steve generally interrupts to ask or add to a question or a relevant anecdote. Ben just interrupts to say the word 'nuance' and I don't think he knows what it means
That’s spot on about Ben, especially with his use of the word nuance. I’m glad they stopped including him on the Meateater podcast.

204guy

WKR
Yep! "ShOoTiNg CoYoTeS jUsT bRiNgS mOrE cOyOtEs!" You don't know what you don't know.

You can say that again and again and again, it's a conspiracy. Lol. The science on this is very thorough. Obviously coyote habitat and ranges vary considerably across the country, but it's pretty well known that in western rangeland you need to remove about 70% of the coyotes to reduce the population. Less than that and female reproductive rates increase to offset the removed ones. That's why you don't see bounties anymore they dont work. What does work is targeted seasonal removal around calving, lambing areas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I think that the tendency to interrupt is part of what makes it a good podcast, though. If you listen to other popular podcasters like Joe Rogan (whether you like him or not, he has a highly successful show) they do the same thing in a lot of ways. It eliminates “dead air”, interrupting with questions helps ensure that the listeners are getting proper context, and it creates interesting conversational avenues. I haven’t listened to a single podcast of his that I didn’t enjoy, but then again I am a real sucker for conversational podcasts.

I agree with your thoughts on ‘ol Cal though. Seems to be as genuine as a fella can get.

What do you guys think of the Hunting Collective podcast? I personally can’t stand Ben o’Brien. I’ve listened to a few that I thought had interesting guests, but that’s more in spite of his hosting than because of it.
Rinella is a unique story teller
9655bd1319f628f581d2eb97c2b7af9b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can say that again and again and again, it's a conspiracy. Lol. The science on this is very thorough. Obviously coyote habitat and ranges vary considerably across the country, but it's pretty well known that in western rangeland you need to remove about 70% of the coyotes to reduce the population. Less than that and female reproductive rates increase to offset the removed ones. That's why you don't see bounties anymore they dont work. What does work is targeted seasonal removal around calving, lambing areas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Read my post further up.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider

I want to like all of the meateater brand podcasts so bad. I honestly wonder how Ben got to where he is. I seem like a mean guy saying it, and I really wish all of them success, but he can't figure out basic journalistic interview questions (hasn't he written for a bunch of magazines?). It's like he thinks of a great topic to discuss with a guest, gets the guest there, but does nothing related to the interview other than give his own idea on the subject. He doesn't even ask questions, just gives his opinion and expects guests to take it from there. His guest's discomfort oozes from my speakers. I keep thinking it's still new and he'll hit his stride on the next one. Turning on his podcast is like every time I try to enjoy straight whiskey. I think, "yeah this time it'll taste good", only to grit my teeth and splash some coke in after the first sip. For THC I grit my teeth and just turn it off. Maybe the next one will be better.

I'll leave Mark Kenyon out of today's rant.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just bummed there aren't any "people of color" in the new season. Since a meateater contributor wrote an entire article detailing how hunting is too white...you'd think the renaissance man himself would have stepped up to the plate and change the racist culture of hunting.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm.
Hahaha I thought the same thing!

So that wasn’t sarcasm. Are you guys talking about the culture of hunting media? Or actual hunting? If it’s hunting, what is the racism of hunting claim based on? For the record, I’m from Michigan. Michigan has a substantial POC population dating back to the underground railroad. It exploded along with the auto industry boom a century ago. The blacks who migrated to MI brought their (Southern) culture of hunting, fishing and trapping with them. So there is a very significant minority hunter demographic in MI. I don’t observe racism in MI hunting in any greater proportion than it exists here generally. But of course that’s anecdotal. I haven’t secured funding for a study yet. Maybe your experiences differ. I’d like to read others thoughts.

cmahoney

WKR
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm.

So that wasn’t sarcasm. Are you guys talking about the culture of hunting media? Or actual hunting? If it’s hunting, what is the racism of hunting claim based on? For the record, I’m from Michigan. Michigan has a substantial POC population dating back to the underground railroad. It exploded along with the auto industry boom a century ago. The blacks who migrated to MI brought their (Southern) culture of hunting, fishing and trapping with them. So there is a very significant minority hunter demographic in MI. I don’t observe racism in MI hunting in any greater proportion than it exists here generally. But of course that’s anecdotal. I haven’t secured funding for a study yet. Maybe your experiences differ. I’d like to read others thoughts.

Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I like parts of their stuff and cringe at others. Mark Kenyon drags that brand down, down , down. He creates struggle to make it sound like whitetail hunting is hard. I know, I know killing big bucks consistently is hard...he doesn't. Never really paid attention to anything Ben does.

I would say in general I liked Meateater better a couple years ago and earlier better before it became such a cult following and the main guys involved started to morph into each other.