MeatEater

OutHeavy

FNG
The man is building an empire, and I'm not mad at him. Fish Hunt Fight just got picked up by meateater and I just bought a couple of boxes of Federal .243 Win that were branded "meateater". It's his every man mentality that appeals to the masses. There was a comment earlier in this thread about the content of new shows including things other than big game hunting. That's exactly the strategy to scale and expand. Find new markets. Coincidentally I just had a 1 hour conversation about this with my hunting partner while driving up to the mountains for an archery hunt (it was a 5 1/2 hour drive so the conversation was all over the place). I think Rinella is actually helping the image of hunters with his deliberate approach to explaining hunting as a means to an end (whether bear, deer or crab) from start to finish. 1) Conserving the resource 2) Preparing to pursue the resource 3) Harvesting the resource 4) Utilizing the resource 5) Conserving the resource (yes, stated twice). It's this start to finish story he tells that has been missing from the mainstream stereotype of hunters. If his growing success doesn't lead to a monumental flame out, history may look back on Rinella as the consummate conservationist of our time.

wsking

FNG
The man is building an empire, and I'm not mad at him. Fish Hunt Fight just got picked up by meateater and I just bought a couple of boxes of Federal .243 Win that were branded "meateater". It's his every man mentality that appeals to the masses. There was a comment earlier in this thread about the content of new shows including things other than big game hunting. That's exactly the strategy to scale and expand. Find new markets. Coincidentally I just had a 1 hour conversation about this with my hunting partner while driving up to the mountains for an archery hunt (it was a 5 1/2 hour drive so the conversation was all over the place). I think Rinella is actually helping the image of hunters with his deliberate approach to explaining hunting as a means to an end (whether bear, deer or crab) from start to finish. 1) Conserving the resource 2) Preparing to pursue the resource 3) Harvesting the resource 4) Utilizing the resource 5) Conserving the resource (yes, stated twice). It's this start to finish story he tells that has been missing from the mainstream stereotype of hunters. If his growing success doesn't lead to a monumental flame out, history may look back on Rinella as the consummate conservationist of our time.

@OutHeavy I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I believe his telling of the entire story reflects better on hunters everywhere.

GoFishND

FNG
It's honestly the only hunting show I watch with my whole family. It's not focused on selling something, the language is clean, the videography is amazing, and the story isn't all about the "kill shot". It's also the only hunting show I recommend to non hunters/fishers that I know regardless of the episode will give them a good message about hunting/fishing/conservations. The true outdoors story.

That Nilgai episode got to me, but they are definitely a bow hunt animal. I'm probably heading to Texas next year to chase those blue bulls.

Shoot

FNG
Its one of the few hunting shows I watch anymore, more focus on the hunt and food vs antlers. And, I'm all for decent capitalism.

Mrwigelow

FNG
What would make it a little more interesting is to have a ”MeatEater” fan be a guest hunter on an episode or 2 a season.

I love the shows, podcast, books, all of it!

Did you see the documentary “Stars In The Sky”? It was fantastic!

Alright, I’ll be the first “Guest Fan” hunter!

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly can’t put a finger on it. I know that sounds like a cop-out, I’m still trying to figure it out for myself.

off the top of my head I feel like a lot of the time he is talking with little to no substance. He said words, but it added nothing. Idk I’m reaching, maybe I’ll really iron it out in the future. I know his tantrum on back 40 of that mower was cringe worthy
I think, for me, it's his insistence on QDM but also he doesn't have his concept fully developed. He will say he practices QDM but also only hunts a specific buck, and will largely go several seasons not shooting a deer just to chase some individual buck. If you listen to the meateater podcast with Kenyon and the QDM guy, he says a lot of contradictions about what QDM is and how to practice it. His message is not consistent for me. He seems like a really nice guy, just still finding his way I think.

My version of QDM follows a much different pattern. I like to allow bucks to mature, but the idea (to me) that I identify a good buck at 2.5 and cross my fingers he lives to 5.5 while basically watching him like a caretaker seems silly. If there is a mature buck and we cross paths, I don't feel bad about taking that buck, even if he wasn't on my "kill" list.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
funny. I find Callaghan uninteresting and often incoherent. I’d like to chat with Steve about anything other than hunting, mostly writing and books.
I mostly find callaghan has the things he is interested in, and outside of that he isn't too welcoming. But will switch his tune from time to time to agree with Steve. I remember in early episodes he talked about how much he doesn't like whitetails. Then he went on a whitetail hunt with Steve and was suddenly all about it.

I mostly find callaghan has the things he is interested in, and outside of that he isn't too welcoming. But will switch his tune from time to time to agree with Steve. I remember in early episodes he talked about how much he doesn't like whitetails. Then he went on a whitetail hunt with Steve and was suddenly all about it.
Callaghan represents to me, a classic westerner, as you just described.

I'd go on a hunt with him in a minute. Even before Steve, if I'm being honest.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know what type of pack Steve switched to or why he stopped using the stone glacier?

LostArra

WKR
Anyone know what type of pack Steve switched to or why he stopped using the stone glacier?

I just listened to the most recent podcast where he went goat hunting with Stone Glacier Kurt Racicot. Not using a SG pack would seem awkward to me since Kurt was basically guiding him into an area he knew well.

TheGDog

WKR
What would make it a little more interesting is to have a ”MeatEater” fan be a guest hunter on an episode or 2 a season.

I love the shows, podcast, books, all of it!

Did you see the documentary “Stars In The Sky”? It was fantastic!

Alright, I’ll be the first “Guest Fan” hunter!
Ya know... this makes a lot of sense actually. As you veteran hunters would no doubt enjoy watching the show and griping about all the mistakes and wrong choices the new guy is making. And... meanwhile Steven Rinella could recap scenes with voice-over talkin' about what was incorrect about the choices or actions the new guy made, and therefore they'd be using it as a learning tool for those of us who are newer.

Likewise, he could also do a voice-over recap of the hunt with an experienced veteran and he could highlight all the choices or actions the experienced hunter made that he was impressed with, or concurs with and explain why those are good choices and such.

That kind of idea where things are presented in a way where everyone comes away learning at least something about that hunt would be a total win-win.