Mechanic question

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gang this may seem elementary, I’ve been shooting the QAD and the Iron wills. Both do great IW seem to fly better. Picked up some SEVR for fun and a different heavy weight high speed setup I run for white tails. Question is the mechanical 100 grain sticks out further from the end of the carbon. Does anyone have any experience with the mechanicals shooting low when compared to fixed blades. Let’s say if I have QAD in my quiver shot one and the sevr or mechanical of similar character for a longer follow up shot. Would it potentially DROP more because the distance of the 100 grains from the end of the carbon is greater then that of the back sweeping QAD. seems like when I shoot the QAD and the mechanical, say 60 yards they hit left and right perfect. But the mechanical is always lower. Soooooo instead of dialing my BG sight to say 60. I’ll dial it to 63 or so.
Y’all do this or am I just not making sense lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
Wouldn’t you want a follow up “long shot” with a fixed blade? That way you aren't pushing the KE physics of opening a mechanical broadhead. I would think that if anything a mechanical would hit higher a longer distances due to less theoretical wind drag

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn’t you want a follow up “long shot” with a fixed blade? That way you aren't pushing the KE physics of opening a mechanical broadhead. I would think that if anything a mechanical would hit higher a longer distances due to less theoretical wind drag

Don’t worry my KE is fine ....
Hummmm interesting about higher. When essentially the actually weight is more forward

Imma gonna have to do some playing around with this. It’s a neat discussion and I’ve not read anything about it or seen it brought up. Maybe guys or gals just SEND IT lol

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
There is alot of variables here. First question is how much is it lower and at what range?

I suspect there is something just a touch off with your tune. The only way to figure out is shoot a line at 60 with mech, FP and fixed and see which one is hitting high or low. My sevr hit the same as my IW and the same as my FP out to 60 or so. After that the additional drag from the IW takes over and they will hit a bit lower then mech and FP

Shoot some field points along with your broadheads to confirm this before making any changes, but I'd guess your bow is slightly out of tune and the arrow is leaving the bow nock low, which will result in broadheads (particularly fixed blade due to their larger surface area) hitting higher than field points. The easiest way to counteract nock low flight is to lower your arrow rest.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hummmm interesting about higher. When essentially the actually weight is more forward
No, they shouldn't hit lower. There will be less drag to overcome with the mechanical over the fixed blade at distance, so they shouldn't be hitting lower. Where do your FP's hit in relation to the two BH's?

With your thinking then someone with 30+ inch arrows would always hit lower than someone shooting the same BH's on 26" arrows.........all else remaining equal. Here's another option for you to ponder........let's say that you have two 500gr arrow setups the same length and spine. The first has a combined 141gr up front, and the second has 200gr up front. Will the two arrows hit differently or the same.......all else equal?

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Great responses everyone.
Thank you for the feedback
Just when you think you got it figured.
Another rabbit hole lol.

Fivefuchs

FNG
Hey gang this may seem elementary, I’ve been shooting the QAD and the Iron wills. Both do great IW seem to fly better. Picked up some SEVR for fun and a different heavy weight high speed setup I run for white tails. Question is the mechanical 100 grain sticks out further from the end of the carbon. Does anyone have any experience with the mechanicals shooting low when compared to fixed blades. Let’s say if I have QAD in my quiver shot one and the sevr or mechanical of similar character for a longer follow up shot. Would it potentially DROP more because the distance of the 100 grains from the end of the carbon is greater then that of the back sweeping QAD. seems like when I shoot the QAD and the mechanical, say 60 yards they hit left and right perfect. But the mechanical is always lower. Soooooo instead of dialing my BG sight to say 60. I’ll dial it to 63 or so.
Y’all do this or am I just not making sense lol.

My Sevr’s hit the same spot as my Iron Will’s at 60. Micro adjustments to the arrow rest were necessary. Sevr’s fly like field points.

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
My Sevr’s hit the same spot as my Iron Will’s at 60. Micro adjustments to the arrow rest were necessary. Sevr’s fly like field points.

That’s awesome.
Thank you for sharing
I’ll be ripping them soon. Finally showed up in the mail. Got the 1.5”