Mechanical broadhead for elk

2tall

FNG
How do you change your shot selection when using a mech vs fixed? I shoot both and if anything Im more selective with a fixed considering wind and distance.
It's shot selection for different reasons. Fixed you may be worried about wind and distance, but a mechanical you're more worried more about animal positioning and how your arrow may interact with bones and organs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Grant K

FNG
I'm well aware that I'm changing nobody's position on this but if you arent taking the shot with a mechanical because of the elk's position or concern about hitting bone then you have no business going for that shot with a fixed blade either.

If anyone thinks that they are blasting through elk shoulders with a fixed blade I can dig up some photos that say otherwise, between guiding, a shoulder hit elk or two myself, and about a half dozen broadheads found in shoulders of elk that appeared perfectly healthy when shot much later I think I have a decent level of experience to say that a fixed head has little to nothing to do with getting through the shoulder, most of the time your broadhead is just exploding, no matter how tough it is...sometimes you get really lucky and shatter the whole bone or blow right through it, I've seen this a couple of times, both happened to be Rages, never seen it with a fixed blade FWIW... I personally don't have anything against fixed blades, and carry a tough single bevel that hits the same as my rages to use if I know it will be a short shot with no wind... however shots on elk tend to be windy, or you are in a less than optimal shooting position and torque your bow, or a multitude of things where forgiveness in arrow flight is helpful. for the most part I grab a Rage and go with it, FWIW the two toughest tracking jobs I have had in 20 some odd elk were the two I've shot with fixed blades...

2tall

FNG
I'm well aware that I'm changing nobody's position on this but if you arent taking the shot with a mechanical because of the elk's position or concern about hitting bone then you have no business going for that shot with a fixed blade either.

If anyone thinks that they are blasting through elk shoulders with a fixed blade I can dig up some photos that say otherwise, between guiding, a shoulder hit elk or two myself, and about a half dozen broadheads found in shoulders of elk that appeared perfectly healthy when shot much later I think I have a decent level of experience to say that a fixed head has little to nothing to do with getting through the shoulder, most of the time your broadhead is just exploding, no matter how tough it is...sometimes you get really lucky and shatter the whole bone or blow right through it, I've seen this a couple of times, both happened to be Rages, never seen it with a fixed blade FWIW... I personally don't have anything against fixed blades, and carry a tough single bevel that hits the same as my rages to use if I know it will be a short shot with no wind... however shots on elk tend to be windy, or you are in a less than optimal shooting position and torque your bow, or a multitude of things where forgiveness in arrow flight is helpful. for the most part I grab a Rage and go with it, FWIW the two toughest tracking jobs I have had in 20 some odd elk were the two I've shot with fixed blades...
Sorry for my bad description, I more meant if you think you may hit ribs. I've seen pictures of mechanicals with blades pretty much sheered of going between ribs. My main annoyance with mechanicals is with my experience using rages with the new shock collar vs old o-ring. I feel like every single one would open in the quiver or while nocked waiting for a good shot. Nothing against the guys that use mechanicals, I'm just more comfortable with a fixed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
The only fixed head I'd shoot over a spitfire 100/125 is a slick trick standard and the first bull with one of those wasn't impressive. Bull number two changed my mind. That ST went from end to end at 60# and the bull didn't go 50 yards; on par with my spitfire experiences. I've put a spitfire thru an Elk rib and it didn't slow down. I have no experience with Rage.