Mechanical or Fixed... what are your thoughts for elk?

ceetoo

FNG
Mechanical heads aren't legal in my home state (Oregon), so the decision is already made for me at home, but I would not feel comfortable flinging one at an elk anyway. Fixed for me. I've hunted with Shuttle T's in the past, but currently have my arrows tipped with Alaska Bowhunting Supply's Samurai single bevel head, 125gr.

I use Magnus Buzzcuts exclusively for all my big game, from whitetail to elk thats the only head that will be on the end of my arrows. I took a whitetail doe last year at 72 yards with a magnus buzzcut, went through both shoulders and out the other side. Head was still in great shape, and if they bend/break whatever you can send them back and magnus will get you a new head or fix the head you sent in. Can't beat the warranty. Something about a big 2 blade sliding back when you draw just looks bad ass as well.

I am a fixed blade guy for elk. I tune my bow to shoot my fixed blades exactly like my field points. I shoot Magnus Buzzcuts and VPA three blade.

Save the mechs for turkeys. They don't belong in the elk woods! But that is my opinion and others will disagree. Magnus buzzcuts fly very very good!
Huntingpics042.jpg

Last edited:

Ralph

FNG
Fixed only for me. Strikers for last 5 years, but I'll shoot just about any head. Montecs, Muzzies, Slick Tricks, Silver Flames...they all have worked for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
In Idaho mechanical heads are illegal. So I shoot Wacem exits of snuffer. I will say the Exits fly like darts!

My broadhead of choice is the Fulton Precision - RAMCAT !!!! Fixed blade 1 3/8" cut. I have taken 2 P&Y Mule deer and a P&Y Speed Goat with them and nothing went more than 60 yards (GOAT).This year I am going to purchase a few packs of the ULMER EDGE and (CROSSING FINGERS) the Easton AC INJEXION 390 to play with.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
100gr G5 Montec tough head although not the sharpest, I have had good results.

Razor Tricks for me too. they fly like a dart and slice everything it its path. i don't see myself shooting anything else for elk. i've killed deer and elk with them.

BigWave

Lil-Rokslider
Fixed here. Killed a big wild boar with a Rage a few years back. It worked, but after examining it after I retrieved the hog I swore I would never use another. I use a NAP Nitron. They have done me very well over the years. They're getting tougher to find! I'm hoping to let the air out of a big Az bull this year with one!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord