Mechanicals for archery goat?

Ebby

WKR
Anybody ever tried mechanicals on Goats? I shoot Sevr heads and have had good luck with them. I've killed elk and deer but not any other animals. Wondering if the hair and hide on goats woild make them a poor choice?

I also shoot Iron Will heads and they shoot very good for me. I'm slightly less accurate at 70 plus with them versus my Sevr but under 50 which is what I'll limit myself to on the hunt, they seem to be pretty much the same.

I like the cutting diameter of the Sevr and just trust them since I've had good luck with them in the past. If it's a bad idea to use them though, I'll scrap them and just use my Iron Will heads. Just looking for anyone with some experience with mechanicals on Mtn Goats.

Thanks

Lee

Smaller Sevr should penetrate goats well. I've arrowed two CO goats a long time ago...'79 and '91 with fixed blade heads but would hunt them today with a 1.5" 3-blade NAP Spitfire. Wouldn't worry about the hair stopping penetration myself. Early season goats have short hair...but by Oct its getting longer. Still wouldn't worry though, assuming you are shooting +60#s, a decent draw length (>27") and +400 gr arrows. Good luck!

With your setup I would use Mechanical heads.

The angles, wind and rain etc can be an issue on Goat hunts and any advantage you have the better. Mechs are usually more forgiving than fixed. If you have that farther shot you will be more confident taking it. And if the shot is affected, a mech is better if a hit is in the wrong spot

You may need a follow up shot way out there, Goats can be tough (as in don’t die easy) but they are not thick. Pretty thin body wise and more vertical

Last edited:
Ed Ashby has done some good work demonstrating that mechanicals behave the poorest regarding penetration. For goat this year, I'm going for a single bevel 2-blade broadhead.
That is a very general statement. There are many quality Mechs that will penetrate better than poor fixed heads. Appropriate Broadhead selection for situations is more important than blanket statements.

Ashby stuff is very dated and really only relevant to traditional archery equipment. If you really want to follow him we would all be using self bows with 900+ grain arrows 😂

Roam_USA

FNG
I killed my billy last year with a 100 grain Iron Will, double bevel solid broadhead, 535 grain/250 spine arrow. Quarter away slightly, 37 yards slightly downhill and to my left, complete pass-through shot entering behind the front shoulder and out the front of the offside shoulder. Short story… I was stoked on my choice of broadhead. Stick with the Iron Will’s. You can sharpen them with the Stay Sharp Guide, he makes a fantastic system to get that broadhead sharpened to the next level. Good luck!

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Thanks guys. I think I'll likely stick with my Sevr heads. I really appreciate the info though. I'm getting excited. Won't be long!

Lee