Mechanicals for Mtn Goat?

Ebby

WKR
I posted this over in the Mtn Goat section as well but thought I might get a little more traction here.

Anybody ever tried mechanicals on Goats? I shoot Sevr heads and have had good luck with them. I've killed elk and deer but not any other animals. Wondering if the hair and hide on goats would make them a poor choice?

I also shoot Iron Will heads and they shoot very good for me. I've shot a few deer with them and they worked well. I've also used the old Steel Force Phat head which is similar. I killed a bunch of animals including 5-6 African animals with those and had no issues. I'm slightly less accurate at 70 plus with the Iron Wills versus my Sevr but under 50 which is what I'll limit myself to on the hunt, they seem to be pretty much the same.

I like the cutting diameter of the Sevr and just trust them since I've had good luck with them in the past. If it's a bad idea to use them though, I'll scrap them and just use my Iron Will heads. Just looking for anyone with some experience with mechanicals on Mtn Goats.
Thanks
Lee

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure Kip Fowler killed his goat with a grim reaper 1 3/8 which I would think would have a harder time passing through due to the over the top nature. Only data point I know of.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shot my moose with a second arrow tipped with a 1 1/2" GR Fatal Steel and it buried up to my fletching. I personally wouldn't hesitate shooting one at a goat. But I also have a long draw and higher draw weight.

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Yeah. I should have inlcuded my stats. I have a 30" draw and am shooting a 530gr arrow at 270fps.

MattB

WKR
Goats aren't very wide, I don't think you will have a problem. I shot mine with a 125 gr. SS Snuffer and made a follow-up shot with a 4 blade Slick Trick. Both blew through and my set-up generates much less energy than yours (27.5" DL, 435 gr. arrow). Mine was an August goat so the hair was on the shorter side.