Med School Residency Out West

fatbacks

WKR
My wife did her FM Residency in Anchorage... She thought it was a good program and location was pretty awesome as well.

I am not in family medicine but a surgical sub specialty. I imagine the competitiveness of FM is much lower granting you more freedoms. Also, many family Med people I know had a location they wanted to practice, ie close to home or family etc. if that is the case, I would work backward from there and see what is needed to get the best training possible for the future job. I am in St. Louis now bc family, but can still deer hunt, Turkey hunt, waterfowl hunt and predator hunt regularly. My residency was in Tampa Fl. Not much hunting other than gators but loved hitting the flats with my buddies kayaks and catching tons of fish and a good buzz. Would I love to be somewhere I can hunt elk and other western game out of my back door? Yeah, but sacrifices have to be made to keep the family happy and fed. And now I can afford to take a trip per year and I bought a 200 acre farm on a river with two of my best friends.

Long story short, do what’s best for you and your family’s future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsd16

WKR
As others have said, good training is paramount, but if she’s doing FM and not planning on doing a fellowship then getting good training for the desired career is best. Meaning if you want to be a rural doctor but match at a great big city residency you may not have the best tools for the career.

Match already happened so what was the verdict?

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
She just finished her last clinical rotation July 1 . Now she’s researching residencies and applying till March when she matches . Doing volunteer work and side jobs while she waits. She wants to become a family physician .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Anyone on here know anything about Medical school residency in the western states ? States like Wyoming Colorado Montana Kansas . Citys like Billings ,Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Colorado Springs ect...... Are they easier to get accepted to vs traditional eastern states with higher populations ? Reason I ask is girlfriend graduates next year this time and is looking for family medicine residency options . I threw out the idea of heading west for 3-4 years but didnt know if they were harder to get into over the bigger cities in the eastern side of the country. Thanks for any info or experience.

I doubt they are easier to get in out here as everyone else has the same idea to move out to Colorado. A cousin of mine went in to sports medicine and I mentioned to him once that he should move out to Co as he’s a huge fly fisherman and his response is that he’d get paid half of what he does in Wi because everyone wants to go to Colorado and places have no shortage of available potential employees.