Medicine Lake Outfitters Bozeman, MT... ANYONE familiar????

Lutzal

FNG
We have spent the past several months looking for an affordable drop camp style elk hun in Montana. The outfitter that we seem to have settled on is called Medicine Lake Outfitters out of Bozeman, Mt. I believe the owner is Tom Heintz. The offer a horse back drop camp with a cook, and will pack out meat. My question is, has anyone heard of them or hunted with them. I have searched the internet and forums and have found 2 reviews that pertain to hunting and nothing more. The owner "is resolute about not providing references," which makes me very nervous. Of course he does have a website, but the photos seem very old. I was just hoping for some guidance and input before we book the hunt. My concern is that he is just a "camp type outfitter" who offers hunting in the fall with no real understanding of the hunting. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

OP
Lutzal

Lutzal

FNG
Never heard of him/them but if they will not provide references when asked I’d shy away from him/them. YMMV
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing, and kind of figured that will be everyone's response, but thought I would take a chance and ask. You would think that it 2020 you would be able to find some reviews if an outfitter is reputable. I really appreciate the input, thanks again!

I have hunted MT for 25 + yrs with Outfitters. Any reputable one will provide references so you can be comfortable in what you will get for your $. Don't use them if they won't provide it.

OP
Lutzal

Lutzal

FNG
I have hunted MT for 25 + yrs with Outfitters. Any reputable one will provide references so you can be comfortable in what you will get for your $. Don't use them if they won't provide it.
Thanks. That is my thought exactly. Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't being too OCD about the situation.

SBAHunts

FNG
you are better off spending the money on extra scouting trips or consider the first 2 years an investment. If it doesn't feel right....

Lived in Gallatin Valley/ Bozeman area for 26 years and never heard of his name or business. FWIW I'm a life member in RMEF, go to pheasants unlimited, SCI , and other groups in SWMT. I don't claim to know everybody or who is who in the hunting industry these days, but its still a small connected hunting community in many ways for a rapid growing population.
No references= no $$.
If I can get 5 references from a small concession in middle nowhere Africa, you should be able to get three from any outfitter in Bozeman.

OP
Lutzal

Lutzal

FNG
Lived in Gallatin Valley/ Bozeman area for 26 years and never heard of his name or business. FWIW I'm a life member in RMEF, go to pheasants unlimited, SCI , and other groups in SWMT. I don't claim to know everybody or who is who in the hunting industry these days, but its still a small connected hunting community in many ways for a rapid growing population.
No references= no $$.
If I can get 5 references from a small concession in middle nowhere Africa, you should be able to get three from any outfitter in Bozeman.
Thank you very much for this reply, this is what I was thinking. I believe we have already decided to just pursue another route. At this point, we may just go somewhere with a wall tent and no guide and hunt out of a base camp to save money and consider it a scouting mission if nothing else, as one of the other members has mentioned.

For the future generations, have had a number of experiences with this outfitter and Tom, and every time he has been pretty rude and dismissive. Absolutely not the kind of person I would want to be trusting my week of vacation and elk hunt with. Lots of good outfitters out there… I encourage you to seek them out.

Tdonat

FNG
I’ve lived in/around Bozeman my entire life and have never heard of them. Sounds kid of sketchy to me.

I know him( kinda) , all through the 1990's he had a camp near our hunting camp, he did have a few camps in the area. He didn't like us hunting around there so not friendly to us. We bumped into him and his guides on the pack trail a few times each year. That area was good back then, not sure now. Haven't hunted in that spot for a number of years.

This guy is to be avoided at all cost. He is a paranoid, creep - who tries to rule his camp with fear. He operates inefficiently, and can't keep a camp helper more than one year at a time. We've hunted with him twice, hoping the first time was an aberration - unfortunately the second year was even worse. Everyone is walking around on egg shells in camp, and the hunting is mediocre at best.

I actually guided for Tom/ Medicine Lake Outfitters for ONE year. As @naturechampion said, he has trouble keeping guides and helpers more than 1-2 season. He is a pretty tough guy to get along with, not the nicest guy to his staff. That being said I do think he is a bit misunderstood, he is not a bad person just rough and gruff on the outside. In that one year though man do I have some stories though, that's a wild area with ALOT of history.

In regards to the hunting: The area used to be really good. Now days, the vast majority of the elk are down on turners property which is inaccessible unless you pay 17k. The area Tom guides in is gorgeous country though, so if you want more of an adventure with a side chance at an elk it would be ok. The OP said that he suspects the outfitter has "no real understanding" of the hunting. That is false, Tom has hunted that same area for probably 40 years. I would think he probably knows it better than anyone alive. That being said he is getting pretty darn old, I would think well into his 70's.

In summary I would just say the area is not what it used to be in terms of hunting quality. There are many other areas/ units that will provide better hunting opportunities.