Mediocre 10x42 vs Quality 10x32 binos

JDZ

WKR
I currently have a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB binoculars. They are fine for Midwest hunting and 3D shooting, but they leave a little to be desired when it comes to western hunting and mountain use. I am looking to possibly upgrade, but not sure if I need to stick with 42 mm glass.

I use the binos from a tripod and carry a 85 mm spotting scope. Would I be happy with 32 mm or 30 mm binos?

In terms of light transmittance it is all about exit pupil to make sure you are getting the most of your glass. Take the obj diameter and divide by the magnification. 3.5-4 is the magic number from what I've heard in terms of maxing effectiveness.

I think 10x42 is the best all around glass that you can still keep around your neck or mount on a tripod.

In terms of an upgrade, if you went to 10x32s you might lose some light, however, depending on what quality level of glass you might see an improvement. IE- if you went from 10x42 nikons to 10x32 Swaro ELs or 8.5x42 ELs you will def see an improvement.

I just upgraded from Viper HD 10x42s to Swaro EL 10x42s.... and there is no way to fairly compare them. I looked through SLC 10x42, EL 8x32, EL 10x42 and Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 on tripod at the Outdoorsmans and it was every obvious. However- any of those choices will stand out over the Nikons.

Good luck!