Meeker CO Wolves

I know there was a thread on this, but it got derailed and appears to be locked. I figured I would start a new thread here with some additional information, in hopes that this doesn’t get derailed the same way.

The calf death total is now up to 22. Here are a few pictures from someone I know who came across one of these kills during 1st rifle. This kill was reported to the CPW and was confirmed by them that it was one that they were aware of.

Apparently the elk hunting was awful in that area compared to the last 20+ years they’ve hunted there. Sign was minimal in spots the elk normally frequent and everyone hunting the area struggled. They made it sound like the elk had definitely moved off to other areas.

Sad to see this happen, especially when the wolves haven’t even been ‘reintroduced’ yet. It’ll be interesting to see how things progress in the area and how the rest of the seasons go. Sounds like the CPW officers definitely have their hands full in that area and they’re hoping more hunters share their experience and/or findings.

Attachments

• 81389B76-2056-4E5D-AECE-A3252F1C33C4.jpeg
    81389B76-2056-4E5D-AECE-A3252F1C33C4.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 80527E74-38C5-4963-8F6E-5DBCCEED647E.jpeg
    80527E74-38C5-4963-8F6E-5DBCCEED647E.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 84C8EC39-D7A8-4753-9D3F-70DCC3175AE3.jpeg
    84C8EC39-D7A8-4753-9D3F-70DCC3175AE3.jpeg
    659.5 KB · Views: 421

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Meeker resident here. Friends at church had 14 I think killed. Hunting was terrible this year as stated. Its only going to get worse across the state once more are introduced.

Just to be clear, I think the reintroduction of wolves is a horrible idea. But what specifically makes you think this is the work of wolves and not coyotes or a mountain lion?

OP
cohunter14
Just to be clear, I think the reintroduction of wolves is a horrible idea. But what specifically makes you think this is the work of wolves and not coyotes or a mountain lion?
This was confirmed by the CPW officers but was also pretty clear based on the lack of meat that was taken if you look at the pictures. Every coyote or lion carcass I have ever come across is cleaned up pretty good. This one still had the four quarters and backstraps on it, with birds having opened up the chest cavity.

Bodough

FNG
Someone should put some trail cams up in that area, assuming they may come back

11boo

WKR
Too bad the wolves don’t have OnX.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is investigating reports of three black wolves killed in Wyoming to determine if they were part of Colorado's only known pack.

The agency said it has reached out to Wyoming Game and Fish Department officials to determine if the wolves were members of the North Park pack that established in Jackson County and whose territory extends across the Wyoming border.

It is legal to kill wolves in Wyoming but not in Colorado.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Certain people would flip their lid watching a majestic elk getting ripped to shreds only for a joy kill from the wolves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They will make it there and people will love it. That’s the stuff that people flock to in Yellowstone. Glorious nature in harmony

Tip of the iceberg X2

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

One thing I wonder about though: States like Montana and Wyoming that have had their problems don’t have the hunter numbers that Colorado does. I have to wonder if the billion elk and deer hunters down there won’t be able to thin out the wolves better. Assuming of course that despite the laws they know the right thing to do.

Phaseolus

WKR
Too bad the wolves don’t have OnX.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is investigating reports of three black wolves killed in Wyoming to determine if they were part of Colorado's only known pack.

The agency said it has reached out to Wyoming Game and Fish Department officials to determine if the wolves were members of the North Park pack that established in Jackson County and whose territory extends across the Wyoming border.

It is legal to kill wolves in Wyoming but not in Colorado.
I like those kind of border crossers…

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Meeker resident here. The hunting has been crap this year with a 30mi radius around L07 where the 18 head were killed. I hope anyone that's in favor of the reintroduced wolves never has another cold beer and goes flaccid forever. It had been a rough year.

If its not the moon, hunter pressure, grazing, hikers, wind, too dry, too wet, too cold, too warm, not enough snow, too much snow, and now its the wolves. Lame excuses all of em for folks that dont tag out. Buck up and learn to hunt I say. Im tired of the wolves made hunting terrible BS and they havent even been reintroduced yet.