Meeker CO Wolves

OP
cohunter14
If its not the moon, hunter pressure, grazing, hikers, wind, too dry, too wet, too cold, too warm, not enough snow, too much snow, and now its the wolves. Lame excuses all of em for folks that dont tag out. Buck up and learn to hunt I say. Im tired of the wolves made hunting terrible BS and they havent even been reintroduced yet.
No one was making an excuse, just observations from them after a long time spent in an area. I find it very interesting after hearing some of the stories from other states over the years. They obviously realize they are going to have to adjust and adapt to something they were unprepared for prior to the hunt. But saying wolves don't have an effect on things is a ridiculous claim.

I'm glad you've got it all figured out though!

gbflyer

WKR
If its not the moon, hunter pressure, grazing, hikers, wind, too dry, too wet, too cold, too warm, not enough snow, too much snow, and now its the wolves. Lame excuses all of em for folks that dont tag out. Buck up and learn to hunt I say. Im tired of the wolves made hunting terrible BS and they havent even been reintroduced yet.

Probably some truth to that. I live amongst a sizable couple wolf packs in Alaska. Of course there is more room for them in my area, no livestock to speak of, and I don’t personally believe reintroduction into populated states is a good plan. Be that as it may, the elk are going to be OK. Some calves and old ones will be taken, no doubt. And yes I realize wolves sport kill. I would be very worried about deer and antelope populations, and the ranchers are going to get hammered. In general, I’m not a big fan of most grazing practices that the feds allow in the West, and I doubt many readers here are either. I don’t have much sympathy on that front, however the ranchers certainly didn’t ask for this. I suspect the taxpayer will end up carrying the burden of all the $1000 steers that get taken down.

Probably some truth to that. I live amongst a sizable couple wolf packs in Alaska. Of course there is more room for them in my area, no livestock to speak of, and I don’t personally believe reintroduction into populated states is a good plan. Be that as it may, the elk are going to be OK. Some calves and old ones will be taken, no doubt. And yes I realize wolves sport kill. I would be very worried about deer and antelope populations, and the ranchers are going to get hammered. In general, I’m not a big fan of most grazing practices that the feds allow in the West, and I doubt many readers here are either. I don’t have much sympathy on that front, however the ranchers certainly didn’t ask for this. I suspect the taxpayer will end up carrying the burden of all the $1000 steers that get taken down.
Calves and old ones! Omg you have no idea. Ask a wolf and he’ll tell you that a bull in his prime wore out from the rut tastes just as good. Or any elk in deep snow that gets ran to exhaustion. That statement is a pro wolf myth.

t_carlson

WKR
We've been dealing with them for years in Montana.

In the last decade, I've noticed a very strong correlation between good hunting and units where I don't see many wolf or lion tracks.

Harvest has noticeably dropped in places where wolves are doing well. For example, unit 121 was pumping out an elk harvest of about 500 per season back in 2005 or so. Its down to half of that now. Other units have followed similar patterns. You can find the hunter harvest data on the FWP's website.

I'd really like to believe the do not have a significant impact, but I've watched game populations decline in what used to be some really good units. The hunters, lions, and bears were all there back in "the good old days." The only new variable is wolves, and they have to eat something.

It is disappointing to see them spreading to places like Colorado, because I know what the hunters and game populations are in for.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that plenty of cattle get killed on private ground as well, wolves don’t know boundaries and when a bunch of front rangetards decide they want wolves on NF and gov lands they also forced the same decision onto private ground also. For generations ranchers have worked to make a living off the land while feeding this country, their hard work and efficiency directly benefits all consumers wether you eat beef or not. The world lives on protein, cattle are efficient and tasty protein manufacturers. Any less of them requires more from somewhere else and we all agree we don’t need anymore people in our “personal” honeyholes. And most likely those grazing permits precede the wilderness declarations or NF status by decades

Gerbdog

WKR
I am just going to be patient and wait for a wolf season to open. I didnt vote for them but the people can vote for whatever they want, thats the way it works, i'll just pick up the pieces. I carry a bear tag when i can as well. Dont have any dogs or i'd consider going cat hunting too but.... not worth the tag when i'm basically hoping for a 1 in a million chance of stumbling on one that doesnt know im there already. Predator hunting is management too! Just need more people to do it.

gbflyer

WKR
Keep in mind that plenty of cattle get killed on private ground as well, wolves don’t know boundaries and when a bunch of front rangetards decide they want wolves on NF and gov lands they also forced the same decision onto private ground also. For generations ranchers have worked to make a living off the land while feeding this country, their hard work and efficiency directly benefits all consumers wether you eat beef or not. The world lives on protein, cattle are efficient and tasty protein manufacturers. Any less of them requires more from somewhere else and we all agree we don’t need anymore people in our “personal” honeyholes. And most likely those grazing permits precede the wilderness declarations or NF status by decades

I grew up in rural W CO, 5 generations worth. I know many cow/calf outfits, worked for a few of them, I know how they operate. I don’t wish wolves on any of them, even the shady ones. Like I said introducing them to civilization is not a good idea. Oh and the best beef comes from eating corn in a feedlot, not that free range organic grass fat BS

gbflyer

WKR
Calves and old ones! Omg you have no idea. Ask a wolf and he’ll tell you that a bull in his prime wore out from the rut tastes just as good. Or any elk in deep snow that gets ran to exhaustion. That statement is a pro wolf myth.

Seem them in action. You?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet 2 six packs you are a democrat

If you don’t think that the hunting success in the area where that pack is has been is affected, you must not know your history.

He is how it will go:

Initial introduction phase/ no wolf hunting:

1). Herd numbers and calf recruitment drop. Hunter success drops. That’s a fact!
This phase will take many years. Since I am 65 and maybe have 10-15 more good years left, that depresses me.

2). Wolf hunting finally allowed after many a broken promise as to when they have sufficient numbers to hunt. Herd numbers and success rates slowly rise but never to the levels before wolves. How could it? Wolves will eat a substantial numbers of game animals. If we want to keep
Healthy herd numbers we can’t shoot the game that wolves take.
Dems can get bent, just like repubs and same with hunters crying wolf. These complaint threads makes hunters look like pansies.

Seem them in action. You?

Absolutely. A lot! Had them chase horses through portable coral fence. Watched them take down perfectly healthy cows….. and came back in the morning to shoot a couple. Recovered a friend’s son’s mule deer, or what was left of it after shooting one out of a pack of 6. Called in an alpha male to 10 feet with a cow call. .44 mag took care of him.

I outfitted along the Montana/Idaho border from 1999-2012 so I lived with them on a daily basis. When an elk population drops by 80+ percent I assure you it wasn’t just the old and sick that they killed. Go watch some videos of the Yellowstone wolves taking down healthy bulls. They do NOT discriminate. Two of them killed my neighbor’s horse. I have a skull or 2 around the house.

How about you, seen them in action.

02D90A33-F553-421E-A7B7-F66445EF9C65.jpeg2F88A81B-99B8-4437-83F0-B2A7C57154D4.jpeg

OP
cohunter14
Dems can get bent, just like repubs and same with hunters crying wolf. These complaint threads makes hunters look like pansies.
Once again, there wasn't a complaint in my post. Simply sharing information. But thank God for all of us pansy snowflakes that there are still tough guys like you around. Appreciate you setting your gallon of water down to make a few posts in this thread. Been super helpful.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bickering and name calling isn’t needed.

Didnt mean to pick on you specifically, but to be fair your post was mostly lamentation about wolves... Im not stoked about the future of how this will be politicized nor how it was done, but I truly believe we as a community look bad when we claim to love wilderness and wildness and then espouse poorly supported claims and anecdotes about how wolves ruin elk hunting. MT, ID, WY elk harvest took a dip but it was temporary and is back to pre wolf harvest.
Once again, there wasn't a complaint in my post. Simply sharing information. But thank God for all of us pansy snowflakes that there are still tough guys like you around. Appreciate you setting your gallon of water down to make a few posts in this thread. Been super helpful.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep it cool fellas to keep this thread up. Good info here and hate to see it go away.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing including wolves will blow elk and deer out of an area like hunters.

Why not ban forest service/BLM roads if we really care abou hunting opportunity.

Why not ban forest service/BLM roads if we really care abou hunting opportunity.
Actually that’s not true. Wolves hunt 24/7/365 and can run up and down those hills way easier than hunters. There might not be any elk to run out of the area by the time hunting season starts. If wolves are in the picture we are no longer the apex predator.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in rural W CO, 5 generations worth. I know many cow/calf outfits, worked for a few of them, I know how they operate. I don’t wish wolves on any of them, even the shady ones. Like I said introducing them to civilization is not a good idea. Oh and the best beef comes from eating corn in a feedlot, not that free range organic grass fat BS[emoji1
I see your point.
And I don’t disagree on the corn fed without a doubt. That’s my business…growing corn I sell to feed yards

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider

10% of elk hunters kill an elk a year nationwide. Pretty sure wolf % numbers exceed that. Also not sure how road closures help opportunity?