Meet Freyja, My Peregrine Falcon

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished reading My Side of the Mountain to my 7 year old son. To say he's curious about birds of prey right now would be an understatement lol. Luckily we have an osprey nest pretty close by so he can watch them fly often. Can't wait to see your journey

Button

WKR
Love it.
I’ve always been intrigued by falconry. My wife approves. Maybe one day I’ll take it up when I can truly dedicate my time and effort into them. But until then I’ll watch.

Button

WKR
I just finished reading My Side of the Mountain to my 7 year old son. To say he's curious about birds of prey right now would be an understatement lol. Luckily we have an osprey nest pretty close by so he can watch them fly often. Can't wait to see your journey
Great book read it in 4th grade. Loved every bit

oenanthe

WKR
That's really cool, thanks for sharing. I admire those willing to make the huge commitment to be a falconer.

On one of my hunts this year I was watching a merlin perched in a dead alder just across the creek from me. I had a pretty good view through the binos when it suddenly lept off the branch it was on. At the same moment a dusky sparrow came into my field of view from the side. The merlin nailed it in full flight, then sat on a rock across the creek and ate it while I watched. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Rob5589

WKR
There's something so awesome about hawks, falcons, eagles, etc. We have a bunch nearby being that we are right on the edges of all kinds of orchards. Couple weeks ago I saw a bald eagle, right near Sacramento. Crazy cool!

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful bird!

Had a Peregrine in a tree outside our house last year. Shot a sparrow with a BB gun and tossed it down below where it was perched. Swooped down and took off with it in less than 15 seconds. Birds of prey are something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckDogDr

WKR
That is awesome. I am so jealous. Contrary to my S/N those are my favorite birds. I'm going to have to start an account just to watch

OP
406life

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Little update on Freyja:
20220322_171350.jpg

Freyja dropped her first feathers. This is exciting since it's earlier than my redtail, which hopefully means she'll be done sooner. It doubly exciting since she will loose the brown drab and grow into the classic steel-gray back and barred chest.

Other falcon molting facts:
-Feathers are dropped symmetrically, the same feather on both sides.
-The first to drop is the middle primary and then working towards the tip.of the wings.
-It can take 5-8 weeks for a feather to fully grow.
-Blood will circulate in the shaft until the fetaher is fully grown and hard-penned.

bbell

WKR
That’s awesome! I have always had an interest in falconry but also a realistic view of the time I have. There definitely is no shortcuts and the raptors deserve the best anyways. Keep updating pics. Can’t wait till you post a video of Freyja hammering a mallard from the sky!

IdahoElk

WKR
THAT'S AWESOME! I looked into falconry a few years ago and didn't realize how dedicated one must be to even posses a bird legally. Falconry seems to be a lifestyle and not just a hobby.

bobinmi

WKR
Man, I think the falconry stuff is fascinating. When I effed up my shoulder last fall I really debated putting down the stickbow and getting into it.