Meeting Blaze Orange Requirements

Judgement call comes in when xxx inches of orange are obscured by the pack and how many inches are visible versus covered. Not like an officer is going to drag out a tape measure and a calculator and determine exact visible inches - there's a judgement there of adequate vs. borderline vs. too little. He explained it is just one more little thing that can be easily addressed by some orange on the pack. His example was a guy puts on a vest and then a pack on over the top covering up XXX inches. A guy wearing a blaze hoodie that sleeves are visible from the rear even with a pack on was not an issue. It was a friendly conversation and he wasn't being a dink, he remarked how he liked my high-tech ziptied bandannas and it sparked more conversation about the topic.

For the pack I have just spray painted one side of a piece of closed cell foam that I use for a glassing pad. Once rifle season opens up I just flip the pad around so that the orange is visible.

Home dyed merino shemagh, vest from Midway. Modified this hat by using a thread ripper to remove the reflective ribbon and edge banding, hand stitched the brim edge back together, then sharpied the underside to reduce glare. My hat size is 7-5/8 (head circumference 23-7/8").

bozeman

WKR
Blaze orange cap or fleece 'bogan' I found at a small outdoors store, then a Seek Outside Talon (blaze) on my pack.....also have a vest for when I 'sit and glass'...…..My puffy is bright blue as well...….

I don't buy into the orange save B.S. A fool who would shoot you will do so no matter what color you wear.

the only close calls I have had was when I wore orange . it makes one a better target.

I have to agree 100% If it is required for the safety factor, why is only the hunter required to wear it? If you are hunting with a guide, a non-hunting friend (wife), and a camera crew (as in hunting shows on TV) why is the hunter the only one required to wear the orange?? What makes the Hunter any more likely to be mistaken for game than the other people with him?? Just doesn't make sense.
I realize everyone can't be forced to wear orange just because they are out in the woods, like hikers, bikers, nature seekers, etc but don't forcefeed me dribble about "It's for your safety" when only a small percentage of people are required to wear it.

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
I have to agree 100% If it is required for the safety factor, why is only the hunter required to wear it? If you are hunting with a guide, a non-hunting friend (wife), and a camera crew (as in hunting shows on TV) why is the hunter the only one required to wear the orange?? What makes the Hunter any more likely to be mistaken for game than the other people with him?? Just doesn't make sense.
I realize everyone can't be forced to wear orange just because they are out in the woods, like hikers, bikers, nature seekers, etc but don't forcefeed me dribble about "It's for your safety" when only a small percentage of people are required to wear it.

Depends on where you are at... in TX on public lands everyone in the group is required to have orange. In the Sam Houston Natl Forest technically EVERYONE is require to wear orange during general season, even hikers and campers.

I suspect guides and camera crews, and even wives tagging along weren't really a factor considered when writing the rules.

Poser

WKR
For the pack I have just spray painted one side of a piece of closed cell foam that I use for a glassing pad. Once rifle season opens up I just flip the pad around so that the orange is visible.

That’s a good idea. One could probably market such a glassing pad (and, if you’re Sitka, slap a $100 price tag on it )

16Bore

WKR
$2.00 blaze orange handkerchief is handy. No point in making it complicated. Plenty of uses besides just tying it to your pack.

Depends on where you are at... in TX on public lands everyone in the group is required to have orange. In the Sam Houston Natl Forest technically EVERYONE is require to wear orange during general season, even hikers and campers.

I suspect guides and camera crews, and even wives tagging along weren't really a factor considered when writing the rules.

In Colorado when big game hunting (Rifle season), only the Hunter is required. Right across the border in New Mexico, it is not required.

When I hunted a private ranch in units 78/81 in Colorado, I even wore an orange cover on my Camelbak water pack, along with the Orange Vest and Cap.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Here is the Seek talon on top of my new Kuiu Ultra 5500...very blaze and adds a lot of easily accessible storage for 4.7 oz of weight.

ustn9R4.jpg

I see a couple people questioning the effectiveness of blaze orange. The numbers don’t lie, I don’t have them in front of me but since blaze orange laws have been in place hunter accidents are dramatically decreased. It’s just the smart thing to do. What I cannot believe is how we don’t have a blaze orange law in California... shit we have laws for everything here. How is it we don’t have that law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isu22andy

WKR
You should come hunt shotgun deer season in Iowa if you think blaze doesnt help. Ive been shot at twice and been wearing blaze both times ! Little different out west though.

Mosby

WKR
I have a couple of different options depending on where and how I am hunting. I use a Primos orange vest when I am day hunting out west. I cut off a bunch of stuff to lighten it. I like having pockets for glasses, chapstick, calls etc. When I pack in for a few days, I have a lighter weight vest I got from Cabela's with no pockets and minimal coverage. I also have an orange foam seat I carry on the outside of my pack.

When I deer hunt in Pennsylvania, I have a blaze orange jacket, hood and hat. I also carry an old blaze orange Cabela's day pack. We hunt state game lands a lot, with a lot of part time hunters and I want them to see me walking in the laurel. I never walk in the dark there without a flashlight or headlamp on either.

In Michigan all people afield are required to wear orange during firearm season, I personally just wear my small game vest and either a orange beany or ball cap, and I have an orange cover for both of my packs that engulf the entire bag.

Didnt first lite do a springer vest in HO? I think they did but, I was too dumb to buy one before they discontinued!!! In retro, that would be the ticket!

Huntingdog45 & isu22andy, I for one definitely think it helps to prevent accidental shootings. I have also read stories of people who have been checked out through rifle scopes after they have been spotted by a less than safe (moron) hunter who chooses not to use binoculars. I only consider the wisdom of requiring only the hunter to wear it when others in the field are not, because everyone in the field is in danger if a careless hunter spots them or shoots in their direction at game. The orange will make everyone more visible, even if the other hunter(s) aren't looking directly at them but in their general direction.

Last edited:
OP
J
I ended up getting an orange “Chile Red” merino T shirt from Icebreaker. I’ll bring a lightweight vest for when I’m wearing rain gear or a puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange beanie in the mornings then switch to a ball cap. I just use a generic $2 vest - cheap, simple, and meets the min requirements. I also attach one to the outside of my pack to "make up" for what's being covered.

Rikkar

FNG
Rocking the cheap vest as well. And a blaze beannie, luckily it's insulated for the cold Nebrask winters.