Mega tarp or Super tarp in snow?

cmeier117

WKR
So I am going to be purchasing a Mega Tarp soon and am going to be going on a couple winter outings and wanted to put the MegaTarp through its paces. I have a Supertarp right now but haven't had to use it in any weather. I may bring it along too just to see how it fairs. But the place I will be taking them is an exposed ridge at 6,000 feet and will be pitching on a lot of snow. I went to this location in June and had to leave once we got camp set up because the weather was too bad and we only had 3 season tents and we got nervous. I have more confidence in my K shelters now. Anyway, what is the best way to pitch a mega, super or any K shelter for that matter on snow and a lot of it? I know they offer SST pins and I may order a few but they are spendy, I may also make my own and I may try some MSR or Hilleberg snow stakes as well. Anyway what have you guys used in the past to help you out in deep snow? I will be snowshoeing in and have a snow shovel obviously. I have talked to a few guys (Justin Davis, Aron etc...) but was curious what tips or tricks you have used when pitching your K shelters or any tarp type shelter in these conditions?

Lawnboi

WKR
When camping on snow, its really benefictial not to have to crawl into your floorless tent(this is why ill be getting a tipi :) ). The bigger the better in the winter i would say. If not for getting in and out while staying dry, id say for drying your stuff. Camping in the winter is tough for me without a stove and a place to stay warm.

long stakes for alot of snow, really long. Could make your own out of old arrows if money is tight, a light point glued into one end, and a nail glued into the other.

Make sure you pack the snow down really good before setting up.

Camping in the winter is fun and a challenge all in its own

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am young and dumb and just about have all the gear to go winter camping "Safely" and the best thing I have is a warm sleep system. I have thought about old arrows and I may do that.

I am young and dumb and just about have all the gear to go winter camping "Safely" and the best thing I have is a warm sleep system. I have thought about old arrows and I may do that.
im right there with ya! plan to shoe into some areas with the SL5. maybe build a pulk around thanksgiving.
i will probably try to get some hillberg snow stakes for corners and deadman the guylines or use trees

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I was going to build a pulk sled but I will just give the DT1 a try and maybe next year try the pulk idea out. Let me know what your turns out like!

will do, probably do a little picture thread on it when i get around to it. i want to bring a habachi, and wood stove maybe and probably other stuff so i will need it. i will probably do it like on the HPG site, maybe build one of their stoves while ive got the tools out

Lawnboi

WKR
Winter camping is really fun, and its a challenge.
I would definetly take the mega tarp, that way you can waddle into it without having to kneel down or crawl.

I will be getting a tipi or sawtooth (still cant decide yet) for ice fishing this year. Most of my winter camping this year will be done on the ice.

I always take the msr dragonfly in the winter and bring a pan, some bacon, steaks, pancake mix, whatever im hungry for.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We just use MSR groundhogs on snow thus far both when setting up my Hilleberg or a floorless on the snow. Be sure to loop the guyout point loop through the stake loops so you don't lose them . Then jam them down as far as you can and pack snow on top of them. Seems to work thus far for us.

IMGP0968.jpg

CIMG1226.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Its the BCS. I no longer own it due to WAY too many shelters already in my stable. Just simpler/lighter/cheaper to buy another SL-5 and rock a stove in it after I buy a stove jack to be installed. That way I'll have two SL-5s a stove ready one and a non-stove ready one for when weight is a concern or more importanly when a stove is not needed or feasible. :D

Both the Sawtooth and the BCS are great shelters. The Sawtooth is freaking amazing in the wind. The BCS will do well but not as well, which is not surprising given how much lighter it is. But neither shelter compare to the money/space/weight ratio of a SL-5 and I'm a cheapskate so......:D

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thanks for the pictures Luke! I may grab a few of the longer MSR ground hogs and either their snow stakes for the main points or buy a few of the Kifaru SST pins. I just want to make sure the tarp is pitched right next to the ground like your BCS is.