Mega Tarp - vs -Supertarp

Whisky

WKR
Did some more reading, you need 52" poles to pitch the Megatarp. About 3 hours ago I got a shipping notification from Black Diamond for some 120cm Z poles. Any of you guys figure out a light and convenient way to make 120cm poles work with the Megatarp?

Bearpaw's carbon fiber pole extension work OK?
http://www.bearpawwd.com/poles_stakes/poles_stakes.html#jack

I see most guys pitch these tarps with the handle on the ground. Any issues with stability doing it the other way around and using an extension?

Did some more reading, you need 52" poles to pitch the Megatarp. About 3 hours ago I got a shipping notification from Black Diamond for some 120cm Z poles. Any of you guys figure out a light and convenient way to make 120cm poles work with the Megatarp?

Bearpaw's carbon fiber pole extension work OK?
http://www.bearpawwd.com/poles_stakes/poles_stakes.html#jack

I see most guys pitch these tarps with the handle on the ground. Any issues with stability doing it the other way around and using an extension?

I took an old aluminum hiking pole and cut out a section of the smallest piece that fits over the tip of my trekking pole. Weighs 1.1oz and is about 10" long and works great.

Mike

Gman

WKR
You can also get thin PVC pipe at hardware store and accomplish the same thing. I've also found rocks and logs and put them under the grip end to get the necessary lift. If all else fails and it's an urgent situation it'll pitch with a shorter pole. That's the beauty of a floorless shelter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, I know you're a fan of the Golite SL5 too. What dictates which shelter you bring on a given trip? Bugs?

Two guys in the Megatarp with a stove for 7 days would be way doable and probably how I'd roll on a lightweight trip with another guy.

I like the SL5 for the floor layout when going with my my wife though as we zip our sleeping bags together in a nest in the SL-5 which means only 1/3 of the space inside the shelter is floored and bug proof. The other 60 sq ft is left to hangout and cook in, so I usually run the SL-5 as I go hunting with my wife more than anyone else.

If going with another guy I think the Megatarp would be ideal though as you don't have to try to squeeze two people on one side of the center pole which wouldn't work coupled together like Becca and I do in the nest, but it would work with two guys in separate bivies. So its best to have both shelters for me. :D