Mega Tarp - vs -Supertarp

DIY

WKR
Solo hunter looking for plenty of space, but trying to keep weight to a minimum. Id like to keep a small bundle of wood, myself, and bow and gear under a shelter with a annex. Just wondering if I should just get the mega even though it weighs more or is the super plenty. Ill be hunting solo, it would be rare that a friend would hang in the shelter unless of a emergency. Im 6'4'' I guess my question is "is there any solo hunters rolling with the mega all the time?" or are most weigh conscience hunters sticking with the super? sorry to beat a dead horse..

cmeier117

WKR
Used a supertarp and annex with 2 guys last year for a 8 days. We didn't have wood or a stove and had our packs and bow outside. For one guy the super is a lot of space, but for 5 ounces more the mega tarp looks like a castle with the high verticle walls. That is where the ST lacks is the volume when you got two guys in there. But the super tarp would be plenty of room for you.

I have a Super Tarp and like it allot.But for 5 more oz. to get that much more headroom and an opening at both ends would be more than worth the weight
Tim

Last edited:

6t4nova

WKR
I've got a mega and annex and I hunt solo. For me it was worth the extra room for just a few ounces. Plus if anyone ever tags along, I've got plenty of room.

Craig4791

WKR
No experience with the super tarp but the Mega solo provides you with all the room you would need and then some. If that's what your looking for it sounds like the mega would be a good fit for you if you don't mind carrying the extra weight.

Here is a pic of the inside of my Mega in solo mode.

8amyvaqu.jpg

etyde8yr.jpg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one seasom with my super tarp. For one it is perfect, for two it would get tight, but manageable..if the mega had been around I may have purchased it instead, but I have no complaints or regrets at this time with the Super.
PA060602_zps99968619.jpg

P6160785.jpg

P6160783_zps7436d2c3.jpg

PA100638_zps61508b37.jpg

I have run a Supertarp for years, sold the thing to someone who didn't want to wait to have one built, turned around and bought another that I hadn't even used till this weekend. Having said all that, if the Mega had been around I would have bought it instead. Another what $80, and 5oz for quite a bit more useable room, and two entrances is pretty nice.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have ran both and I like the mega. For 5 more oz's, it's a palace. Plus you always need more space. Just like with a pack.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think given the weight penalty for 2 guys as a primary shelter the Megatarp makes perfect sense. Even for 1 guy. I'd rather use the megatarp solo and use the extra $$$ that you would have used to buy an extra shelter and use that to shave weight somewhere else. Having space to sprawl in a squall (like my rhyme ;) ) is oh so nice. Most of us could save 5 oz in our packs pretty easily for the cost of a paratipi...

Here a couple pics from last season with the Megatarp:
P8110107.jpg

P8130146.jpg

P8130145.jpg

Whisky

WKR
You guys think two guys can live in a Megatarp for 7+ days without killing each other???

I watched the video of it with Dan and Aron, and it's looks like there is room, but tight.

Late season, with annex, stove and wood piled in, how does the Megatarp perform?? The more pictures, the better!! :)

Thanks

Whisky

WKR
Luke, I know you're a fan of the Golite SL5 too. What dictates which shelter you bring on a given trip? Bugs?

Craig4791

WKR
You guys think two guys can live in a Megatarp for 7+ days without killing each other???

I watched the video of it with Dan and Aron, and it's looks like there is room, but tight.

Late season, with annex, stove and wood piled in, how does the Megatarp perform?? The more pictures, the better!! :)

Thanks

It is a little tight with two guys plus all of your gear a stove and wood. But very doable. I did it for 5 days last year.

Not the best pics but something to look at. The only thing not in the tarp in these pics is my buddies bow. Both packs are 7000 ci packs one is a T1 and the other an Icon.

ha6a2apa.jpg

u6evebe8.jpg

depy5a4u.jpg

Craig4791

WKR
Low 30's at night and highs in the 50's

I think one night probably got into the high 20's

aron

WKR

Thanks

Keep in mind we're brothers so tension seems to get a little high at times. I wouldn't want whiskey to slip and fall down the mountain :D