Meindl Vakuum Hunters

mjs270

FNG
Hi all,
I found out the hard way this year that I really need a new pair of hunting boots. After two days of walking around in the Pennsylvania mountains during rifle season, my feet, legs and hips were absolutely killing me. Not looking for Crispi or Kennetrek quality as I don't do backpack or western state mountain hunting, but I'd like to take a step up from Lacrosse, Danner, etc. Uninsulated will work as I have some insulated boots for when the temps drop or when treestand hunting. Came across the Meindl website and am considering the Vakuum Hunters. Price wise, they are more expensive than the big box store brands and not as expensive as Crispi/Kennetrek. Anyone have comments on the Vakuum Hunters good or bad?

I have the Cabela Denali’s which are the same upper with an EVA midsole and a different Vibram sole.

I have found my boots. I started with Lowa Camino’s which are absolutely the best made boot I have ever seen. After having them a month and the leather started to break in the top of the boot put unbelievable pressure on the top of my foot. Lowa was no help fortunately my son was able to use them and he has had no issue. I then went to the Salomon Quest 4d and they were ok but not perfect for me as they were a little narrow.

I found the Meindl’s in Cabelas and they fit like a glove for me. I am a measure 12EE and Meindl says to order a 1/2 size down as did Lowas. With the Lowas I ordered the 12EE. I went to a 13 wide with the Meindl’s and they have been awesome. I have worn them for a week of bowhunting for elk between 7500 and 10000 elevation a day with one section having 1000ft vertical in only 1/3 mile and they handled the side hilling great. At home in NJ I wear them backpacking and bowhunting as my primary boot down to about 25 degrees in my tree stand even though they are not insulated. I also don’t find them too hot in the summer.

I was telling my wife I want to get the lower height boots to wear during the summer with shorts and casual wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Vacuum Hunters. Had the Cabelas version as well but I think the new Meindl USA versions are built a little better. Wear them out west in the mountains too and they do fine. Relatively small company but good customer service.

OP
mjs270

mjs270

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll give them a try.

I have the vakuum hunters and they are good boots. I got mine last June and wore them bear hunting in northern Wisconsin for 3 months chasing hounds and the on an elk trip to Colorado this past October. They have been in everything from swamps to brush to snow and mountains and I love them. In the summer it got up to about 85 on the hottest days in the summer and in Colorado it got down to about 20 and I wore them the whole time with only a wool sock but this was fairly active hunting. I put on well over a hundred miles and they only get better. If they are anything like my meindl light weight hunters 800gram insulated boots I’ll still be wearing them in 10 years.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine have several hundred miles on them and are still going strong. I will order again if I ever wear rhem out.

I have an older pair of Cabela’s Meindl hikers that I have had for about 12 years. I only wear them on hunting or camping trips. They are still going strong. I do take care of them well with cleaning and waxing. I will be ordering a new pair of Meindl’s soon.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Denali's/Vacuum Hunters have been my go to boot for 22 years. They are every bit as good as Crispis and better than Kenetreks for me. I also have a pair of Lowa Tibets and I wiil choose the Vacuum's every day over the Lowas. Just way more comfortable. I have always been able to elk hunt with a new pair out of the box, no break in.

Denali's/Vacuum Hunters have been my go to boot for 22 years. They are every bit as good as Crispis and better than Kenetreks for me. I also have a pair of Lowa Tibets and I wiil choose the Vacuum's every day over the Lowas. Just way more comfortable. I have always been able to elk hunt with a new pair out of the box, no break in.
How are they stiffness wise compared to the kenetreks? I use the kenetrek now and they are the perfect stiffness for where I hunt, but I'm not opposed to trying something else if they can give me a 'custom' fit.

ewade07

WKR
I was able to find a steal on the Vakuum GTX boots ($50!!!) on Facebook. I took them out deer hunting this fall in SE MT and they did great. The only issue I had with them was I had to get new insoles. The standard insoles that came with just arent enough. I will never understand why someone will make a $300+ pair of boots and use garbage insoles. Besides that though, they are awesome!

I would say the Meindl boots are just as good as Crispi and Lowas and I have multiple pairs of each. The 1 difference on the Meindl is they have a much larger toe box and run a 1/2 size big.

toddh

FNG
I just bought a set. They do run big so make sure you size correctly. They are super comfortable and fit me really well. I have only a few miles on them so far.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
How are they stiffness wise compared to the kenetreks? I use the kenetrek now and they are the perfect stiffness for where I hunt, but I'm not opposed to trying something else if they can give me a 'custom' fit.
I would say they are less stiff. Certainly less than my Lowas. Kenetreks were so stiff for me that my feet hurt. The larger toe box on Meindls is a must for me.