Meindl Vakuum vs comfort fit hiker

golfbum

WKR
How do these compare?

I have a pair of insulated comfort fit hunters that I like, but looking to add a non insulated boot for earlier season. Wouldn’t mind something a little stiffer but don’t want a super stiff boot as I don’t spend much time in crazy timberline areas....

I tried both and really liked both, but ultimately kept the Comfort Fit Hikers. Side note: I tried probably 3-4 dozen other types of leather and synthetic boots, and those were the two best for my feet.

The Comfort Fits were ultimately selected because they did the best job of locking my foot down so my toes didn’t jam when going down hill. I wore them extensively last summer and fall training for and going on a Colorado archery elk hunt. They performed beautifully. Never had a sore foot or blister.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Are the vakuum hunters a lot stiffer then the comfort fit hiker?

Are the vakuum hunters a lot stiffer then the comfort fit hiker?
It’s been about a year since I had them both to compare side by side, but I don’t recall a major difference between the two.

If you’re on the fence, call Meindl. They’ll explain the difference between the boots better than I can.

KU_Geo

WKR
The last shape is a fair amount different between the two boots. Comfort fit is wider in the forefoot. Comfort models are “the Boot” that fit my feet, vakkum unfortunately was a no go, even in wide as the heel is wider as well when you go to the wide model. Ultimately, ended up with the hiker and hunter comfort fit boots for the majority of needs, but also got the extreme for sheep huniting. Don’t love the 11” height, but the boot fits and is stiffer than the hunter/hiker.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Thanks for the feedback, picked up the vakuum hunters and think I will really like them. Almost sent them back and thought what the heck may as well give them one more (did about 3-4) treadmill hike and they started to feel really good on the final walk. I had already boxed them back up and got a shipping label! Haha

took them outside for one walk and actually think they fit my foot better then the CF hunters do…..

would like to had a light hiker/trail Walker and I think I will have most terrain/hunts covered

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I am so impressed with the comfort hunter, I have light weight hanwags that I thought were amazing and now find reasons to put the bigger heavier boot on. Will absolutely be adding the comfort hiker when I can

I really like that they aren't over stiff, too many ski boot type lasts trying to make up for people who don't have any ankle or foot strength and it messes up my gait

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
The last shape is a fair amount different between the two boots. Comfort fit is wider in the forefoot. Comfort models are “the Boot” that fit my feet, vakkum unfortunately was a no go, even in wide as the heel is wider as well when you go to the wide model. Ultimately, ended up with the hiker and hunter comfort fit boots for the majority of needs, but also got the extreme for sheep huniting. Don’t love the 11” height, but the boot fits and is stiffer than the hunter/hiker.
This is great info, thank you. I have duck feet, with a wide forefoot and narrow heel, sounds like these might work. What other boot models from other companies have fit your feet previously?

KU_Geo

WKR
This is great info, thank you. I have duck feet, with a wide forefoot and narrow heel, sounds like these might work. What other boot models from other companies have fit your feet previously?
Crispi nevedas fit pretty decent as do hanwag Alaskans. If you foot is really wide, you may have to go wide in the Meindl. I am E width. If you are EE or wider, might need the wide. Hanwags Alaskans have wider forefoot with generous toe box, and come in wides as well.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Bringing this to the top.

Been looking for a boot that fits, like the others on here I have flat, wide feet and have had many different boots, but have only had 1 set that felt great, just didn't like the sole.

I was reading on Meindl's website about sizing and fit so I printed the foot scale to see where I was and to be able to talk to them about which way to go. I got Phil on the phone and we went through it all, where you hunting packing, rock or not, hills ect., I gave him my measurements and explained the sizing down a half size. He also mentioned free shipping and free return shipping and to definitely call when the boots show up if there are any questions.

I ended up ordering the comfort hunters in 9.5 ee and am anxious to try these out.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I ended up selling my vakumms and trying some asolo boots as I wanted a little lighter boot. Bad call on my part. Asolos never felt right on my feet. Will most likely go back to so comfort fit hikers as I enjoy the hunters. I liked the vakuums but would love a lighter boot when I don’t need the height of the hunters. If I need the height (snow) I will just use the hunters

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up selling my vakumms and trying some asolo boots as I wanted a little lighter boot. Bad call on my part. Asolos never felt right on my feet. Will most likely go back to so comfort fit hikers as I enjoy the hunters. I liked the vakuums but would love a lighter boot when I don’t need the height of the hunters. If I need the height (snow) I will just use the hunters
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but did you go with the hiker?

I have had both the hunters and hikers in my cart and I’m not sure what to go with.

b vs b/c stiffness, but all of that is relative and I’ve never owned Meindls. Any advice?

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but did you go with the hiker?

I have had both the hunters and hikers in my cart and I’m not sure what to go with.

b vs b/c stiffness, but all of that is relative and I’ve never owned Meindls. Any advice?
Stay with the hiker unless you're going to be in snow or cold/wet

I have an old pair of Cabela's by Meindl Air Revolution hikers that are the best light boot I ever had, I wish they still made them as they are getting old but still feel great. For hunting I have the Comfort Fit with 400 grams insulation and they are fantastic boots.

This thread encouraged me to step outside of danners and try the Comfort Hunter. Thanks for the knowledge and push!

nubbin

FNG
Old thread but i have a pair of cabelas light weight hunters which i believe are the same as the comfort light hikers, the hunters have an 8” upper though. I love these boots. I’ve had them for going on 6 years. Just wore them today on a 5 mile hike here in the ozarks, still waterproof and comfortable. Only issue i have is that the boots have either lost some ankle suppport, OR my ankles are getting weaker. I’ve learned the last couple years that side hilling in the rocky terrain really pains my ankles after a while, I’ve lost weight which has helped, but not completely. My next pair of boots will probably be the vakuum hunters if i ever wear these lightweight hunters out. Got vacation planned this summer to Colorado and might just pull the trigger on some comfort light hikers.