meindl vs kenetrek vs others?

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 years on my zamberlan 1009s and have zero complaints.

Nordic

FNG
I've had my Meindl Dovre Extreme 10 years now, and I'm happy with them. Never got a blister and they are still waterproof and nothing wrong with them.
I'm using them 8 months a year (not winter) and at least a couple of times a week.
Don't know if I will switch brand the next time I need a pair.

+1 one for Zamberlan boots, specifically the 760 Steep GT ones. My hunting partner swears by Kenetrek, but then again he hasn't tried Zamberlan yet.

The Canadian sold Meindl Islanders give me heel blisters when hiking the steep stuff. The Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunters do not. Different design in the heel pocket. The Canadian version has a few more lace hooks and higher rubber protecting the leather than the Cabelas Perfekt Hunter but is only useable for me on relatively flat ground. All feet are different, even my left and right foot so your mileage and comfort will vary. I would be very careful about thinking the Canadian version is better though, as I get mine from the US/Cabelas due to a better fit. The US Cabelas versions wear just fine, even the recent ones and are less expensive too. All mine say Germany in them, including a pair picked up a month ago in the US.

LitenFast

WKR
I also am a huge fan of Cabelas Meindl's, my dad picked up a pair 10 yrs ago for a CO elk hunt that he wore for about 5 years and then I wore for another 5, awesome boots. He now has the denalis, Alaskans, and the uninsulated ones from about 5 years ago I can't remember the name. I bought a pair of Perfekt Hunters 3 years ago for a WY elk trip and absolutely love them and wear them constantly. I have tried a lot of different boots through college backpacking and hunting, haven't found anything better so far for comfort, support and durability, but like others have said, everyone's feet are different and doesn't mean a boot is junk if they don't fit yours.

Elc1973

FNG
Have had meindl for about 6 years, perfect hiker, Denali. I love them no other boot has fit my foot the way these do, and the stiff soles are great. And the ankle support is awesome.

I love the Meindls, I have a pr of the Perfekt hunters and the Alaskans. The Perfekts are on their last year and I'll get them again. Had to try the Kenetreks and I believe they are an awesome built boot, I had some serious heel slippage.

Kotaman

WKR
I've had both the Cabelas Meindl Alaskans and the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunters. Neither fit me...The Alaskans were too narrow and the Perfekts were too wide. With that said, they are both decent enough mountain boots. I am a big fan of Lowa Sheep Hunters and Lowa Bighorns. The fit on Lowas (excluding the Tibet) seems to be perfect for my foot. (Narrow heel, wider than average forefoot)

Manosteel

WKR
I have had a few pairs of the Cabelas Meindl Alaskan Hunters (made in Germany). Great boot for my narrow feet. The 200g insulation is not too warm for early season archery elk here in Colorado IMHO. Very stiff boot as others have said. They work well for side hilling, etc. 10 inches tall...

X2

Last year I had my kentreks stolen a couple days before my sheep hunt and had to find a replacement pair last minute. I went with the Mendel Alaskan hunters. 6 day hunt through steep shale ridden rugged mountains with brand new boots isn't ideal but they came through like champs! Not one blister and they were the best fitting boots I ever wore! I tried my lighter warmer hunting boots for my moose hunt later in the season and after only one afternoon I actually drove home to get my menidles in the middle of the night.

Rowndy

FNG
For those of you who have had issues with Heel slip in your Kenetreks, they've re-shaped their last this year, and I am one of those who had issues with heel rub in the passed. They talked me into trying one of the new last boots, and they are phenominal. Whatever they did drastically improved the fit of the heel pocket in those boots.

I have a pair of Meindl Denalis. They are my first expensive boot purchase. Before that all I bought was Danner Pronghorns. I hunt timberline and above durring August and September and I think Meindl are bad ass boots! I am also looking at buying a pair of insulated boots and I am trying to choose between Kenetrek, Meindl, and Lowa. You won't know for sure until you try some on. Sporstman's warehouse stocks the 400 gram Kenetrek, I tried them on there.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
my meindl makalu's finally had to be retired the other day after 11 years.
thinking of the meindl taiga GTX now. anyone have these?

Clarktar

WKR
Lowa Tibets from Lathrop and Sons...

I have been using the Hunter extremes which are the same as Tibets but with 200 grams of insulation. These have been the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Held up for 4 months of timber cruising through 1.4 million acres. Now using them everyday hunting...I plan on sticking with Lowa and Lathrop and sons from here on out.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I had Kenetrek mountain extremes for two years and it didn't matter how much I used them they always destroyed my heels. I finally got rid of them and contacted Lathrop and Sons. They were the most helpful people and they really know their stuff. Over the phone Stephen figured out what type of foot shape I had and what boot would work best for me. I am not wearing the Lowa Hunter Extreme Evos and they are by far the best boot that I have ever worn. I haven't had any blisters since the second that I put them on. To be fair I have heard that Kenetrek changed the design of their foot box to alleviate the problem so many people had with heel blisters.

LostArra

WKR
I just returned from elk hunt in Wyoming. Snowed three days during the week.
5 guys: Meindl, Lowa, Kenetrek, Salomon boots in camp.
Everyone happy with their boots.
Salomon will leak and from their appearance will not last as long as the others. The Salomons were still rated as extremely comfortable and best for stalking.